Sports Day Trading

Data Miner

Last month I posted my sports betting journal in The Lounge/On-line Betting forum, but this area seemed to be a better home for the topic. So here goes, first posting of the new month (and new year)

My approach is to account each month individually, beginning each with a clean sheet, aiming for a 250 point profit each time. In the main I trade horse racing and football on the spreads

Last month's horseracing profits were completely wiped out (and more!) by my blanket trading football spreads. A change of tactic for this month, rather than going with every bet where I was outside of the spread I'm concentrating on those situations where I have the biggest edge. A case of quality rather than quantity this month - Hoping that a better potential profit per bet will be better than my high volume approach. It should at least inject a little more stability.

Monday 1 January 2007

New month, new challenges . . but beginning with a clean sheet and zero points in the January bank. Let's see if I can't start things with a profit this time.

My racing spreads today are;
Cheltenham selling both distances & favourites.
Exter selling favourites.

Football mini-performances, now with a more restrictive regime, I've got just 4 buys from a full league programme;

Coventry
Colchester
Rochdale
Accrington

Happy Spreading

Tuesday 2 January 2006

Yesterday saw 2 wins from 3 on the racing bringing in a small gain, and 2 wins from 4 on the football minis brought a much better gain.

+152.44 pts brought forward from that good start. Always nice to begin a month on the up, let's see if it can be continued.

(My stakes are 2.5 points on Favourite markets, 3 points elsewhere. Returns also reflect commission paid when trades are with Cantor Sport)

Today's racing spreads I'm selling distances at both Ayr & Folkstone (3pts each).

Happy Spreading

Wednesday 3 January 2006

Yesterday's 2 trades produced 1 win (albeit tiny) and 1 loss, for an overall deficit on the day of 42.3 pts.

+110.14 pts January profit brought forward therefore, and just a single trade for today, where I'm selling Wetherby distances at the 61 with SX

Happy Spreading

Thursday 4 January 2006

1 win from 1 helped boost the coffers by 85.35 points yesterday, making a January total of +195.49 to bring forward.

Today I'm selling both SPs (3pts) and favourites (2.5pts) at Fontwell

Happy Spreading

Friday 5 January 2006

2 wins from 2 yesterday yielded a very nice 81.9 point gain to add to January's pot. Just 4 days into the month and my 250 point target is reached, the January bank now standing at +277.39 pts.
If only spread betting were always this easy ;-)

Some 'conventional' wisdom may suggest being content to pocket the gain now whilst it's there, and have a holiday for the rest of the month - live to fight another day, etc.
But then again . . .
. . . even if at the month end I'm be around this same mark, almost as though the rest of the month was working for nothing, I'll still be well satisfied. We'll see . . .

Two Musselburgh trades today. Selling both distances & SPs

Happy Spreading

Saturday 6 January 2006

2 wins from 2 again yesterday bringing in a further +53.1. Maybe this becoming a habit? (do hope so!)

Saturday, usually my busiest trading day, has this week failed to live up to its reputation.
No trades with a big enough edge for me today, so I'm simply carrying forward this month's +330.49 points gained.

Happy Spreading

Sunday 7 January 2007
(Couldn't someone have pointed out my using 2006 over the previous 5 postings?)
. . . or didn't anyone notice?

+330.49 January profit b/fwd.

Just a single trade today, selling Plumpton distances, 3pts at 55 with Spreadex.

Happy Spreading

Monday 8 January 2007

Yesterday's sole trade produced a small loss of -2.25 points, leaving the January total at +328.24

Two for today are again both sells;
Ludlow SPs @ 53
Taunton distances @ 47

Happy Spreading

Tuesday 9 January 2007

A 48.30 point return from yesterday's two trades.

January pot now stands at +376.54 points profit, which I'll be sitting on for the time being, I see no action today.

Happy Spreading

Wednesday 10 January 2007

January gain of +376.54 points is carried forward, as a second consecutive blank day (most unusual for me)

Probably the soggy ground conditions preventing any worthwhile looking trades. But the last thing a trader should do is to go out looking for action just to introduce some interest into the day.

Twiddle my thumbs until tomorrow. (or more likely research & investigate other potential markets)

Happy Spreading

Thursday 11 January 2007

January gain of +376.54 points b/fwd

Back to some action today with a sell of Hereford Favourites. Going two-and-a-half points @ 98 available with Sporting

Happy Spreading

Friday 12 January 2007

Not my best ever trade yesterday, costing me a hefty 105 points. January pot is now +271.54 points to bring forward.

Just a single play today, selling Huntingdon distances @ 37 for 3pts.

Happy Spreading

Saturday 13 January 2007

Virtually treading water with yesterday's trade, returning a small loss of -5.25 points. January pot is now +266.29 points to bring forward.

On today's jump racing cards I'm;
Selling Kempton distances
Selling Wetherby distances
Selling Wetherby SPs

. . . all of these for my usual 3pts each.

Happy Spreading

Saturday 13 January 2007 Supplementary;

A couple of afternoon league football bets; 3pt buys of both Middlesbrough and Fulham's mini-performances

Happy Spreading

Wednesday 17 January 2007

Bit of a break in the action over the past few days, but wait patiently and the trades present themselves when they're ready and not before.

Saturday's 2 racing bets went down the pan, but this was more than compensated for by the 2 football mini-performances bringing a 73.73 point profit haul on the day.
After a little readjustment of my accounting sheet (in light of cross-checking with spread statements) January carry forward now stands at +338.83 points

Today I am mostly selling distances at Newbury & Newcastle.
Also a sell of Newcastle SPs.

Happy Spreading

Thursday 18 January 2007

When going low on SPs (aggregate odds of each race winner at a race meeting) you're always aware of being exposed to the risk of the unexpected big-priced no-hoper romping home. So, when the hot odds-on favourite in the second race at Newcastle was beaten by a 100/1 outsider, I knew it wasn't going to be my day. Still, such things have happened before - and will happen again, it is all par for the spread trading course.

1 winner and 1 loser from my 2 distance bets produced best part of a 25 point profit. But the big-priced winner condemned my SP sell to a 135 point loss. Overall then yesterday's 110.32 loss reduces my January brought forward total + 228.51 points.

Just the one trade today, in this extremely turbulent weather (hoping that not too many non-runners upset my pre-race calculations)

Selling Ludlow distances @ 44 with Spreadfair

Happy Spreading

Friday 19 January 2007

The bad weather conditions forced the abandonment of all yesterday's racing so no change to January's bank.

Just a single distance sell today, at Musselburgh taking IG's 39. (but that has already succumbed to some selling pressure, now showing at 37-41)
Somehow the Scottish ground conditions appeared to have escaped the worst of the weather, this meeting being declared as Good to Soft.

Happy Spreading

Saturday 20 January 2007

The last race did for me yesterday, leaving me with a 9 point loss. 219.51 pts to bring forward

Today's trades . . .

On the racing front;
Sell Wincanton SPs

On the football front; (six mini-performance spreads)
Colchester BUY
Millwall SELL
Rotherham BUY
Darlington BUY
Wrexham BUY
Halifax SELL

Not included in my monthly accounting but I also have a fancy for . . .

Liverpool v Chelsea fixed-odds DRAW
Millwall v Rotherham fixed-odds DRAW
Northwich v Aldershot fixed-odds DRAW

Portsmouth v Charlton BUY total goals

. . . and a SELL of total goals for the following 3 games . . .
Liverpool v Chelsea
Reading v Sheff Utd
Swansea v Nottm Forest

Happy Spreading

Wednesday 24 January 2007

No action over the past few days has allowed the wounds of Saturday to heal a little. Much of the hit I sustained on that bad day was down to a single football match, lost a total of 177.5 points on the day, 186 pts lost on the Millwall v Rotherham game.

After my earlier highs, I'm now bringing just +42.01 points of January profit forward to today's trades.

Selling winning distances and SPs at Catterick
Selling distances only at Huntingdon

Happy Spreading

Thursday 25 January 2007

3 wins from 3 yesterday adds +135.95 points. January carry forward now standing at 177.96pts.

Just one trade today, a 2pt sell of Fontwell favourites at the 90 on offer with IG

Happy Spreading