Deletion of threads!

I could give a fantastic seminar on coin-flipping combined with astrology.
I could provide a laser-light show to illustrate the principles.
I could have scantilly-clad dancing girls in the background.
I could give a Michelin-rated lunch.

I would score 5 stars on the reviews !!

BUT WOULD YOU TRADE IT ??

Thanks for the clarification Sharky.

It would seem to me to make more sense to have to be a member for a set period of time before you can post a review, although it would probably do nothing to stop a really determined individual from decieving others.

trendie said:

That would depend on how good lookin the chick's were

trendie said:

No. But it would gurantee a re-booking...

Re a review on any courses...... Common sense should prevail. If I said I went on course X 1 yr, 2 yrs, 3 yrs ago and it had enabled me to generate decent results ( hard to quantify) Then it is clear that the results have been proven over time. If I said I went on it a month ago and I was doing fantastically, you ought to be sceptical. Courses are no different to other aspects of trading. What suits one person may not suit another. Reviews can only serve as a guideline and not a de facto endorsement ( or otherwise) ....

Sharky,
a week or month would be my vote, but I'm not sure it really makes a diff - so I come by, sign up, and pencil a 'review' in for next week.... Advertising commercial items onsite, if only for reasons of politeness, should be with your permission only - 'free' stuff that leads people to sites with paid items on should be regarded as commercial. Obviously if somebody has a site full of Metastock indicator code snippets etc and they're free then that's a different kettle of fish, but nobody should be coming by here for commercial gain without checking it's okay with you imo.
Mods - for a while I felt the basement modding was out of line, but the fact is the guy wants to stay on topic and whilst willing to discuss points with those who want to follow it he isn't willing to argue the toss about it with cynics. I can understand that, and sympathise - I'd much rather it stayed public (it's an interesting chat on thought processes as far as I'm concerned) but I think it ought to be flagged up somehow as a thread that isn't open to criticism sort of thing.
The problem is that for many users being able to yell 'b*****s' and argue the point(s) in a thread helps them decide whether it's valid, or just flim flam. Newbies reading most threads will assume, if they see 'basement' and everybody in apparent agreement, that they've found the Holy Grail. Would it perhaps be possible to visually tag a thread to show that the 'normal' free for all has been suspended to allow the believers to chat in peace? I think it's only fair to make it obvious that the normal requirement here (best of three falls followed by blood sacrifice of the loser) is not in force for some threads... it would also be stated that disrupting such a thread would not be tolerated.
I was thinking of something obvious, such as a logo/graphic alongside/under/over each post, although a flashing red background would probably be appropriate currently!
Finally - I support the mods, I sometimes disagree with their decisions but I'm not in posession of the full facts, and I suspect they have to act quite often every day... mod'ing is probably time consuming enough without their having to report back to us about their reasons every time. As far as I'm concerned the earlier point about people being dumb enough to ignore 2 warnings applies.
Dave

What is going on here ? What is this behaviour for poeple who aspire to become traders?

I am going to tell you all right now that I am not Grey 1 or Iraj. There is only one of me and that is enough.

Furthermore you are all under the misconception that because you have acquired the hardware, the datafeeds, the software and opened trading accounts,and that you can read and write, add and subtract and multiply and divide, that this makes you traders.You are all very much mistaken in your assumptions. Real traders are committed, serious, dedicated, reliable people, which you are displaying not to be by your collective and individual conduct on this thread, and elsewhere.

Finally, I will tell you now that I am keeping a league table of who is giving unnecessary and unjustified aggravation to the moderators, who do their best to maintain the reputation and very high standards of integrity for which this website is renowned. You may consider it fun, I do not. I do not see it as funny at all.

In this connection I am grading members who post on my thread, not only according to the conduct they display there but elswhere, including here. I am attributing a weighting based on ability, merit and with particular emphasis on conduct.

Do not be surprised if you come to me and you find that the door to progress in this topic gets slammed in your face as a result of your behaviour here and elsewhere. I am watching very carefully, because in my circle I only admit the best according to the criteria described clearly above.

There will be no excuses and no apologies you can offer and no forgiveness granted.
That is all.

Straight in with the insults and putting down others, Socrates?

This is part of the reason people become inflamed by your posts. You are actually very rude yourself. Maybe you should cast your great abilities towards self reflection and grade yourself on your conduct to others. Dignity and respect of their feelings and thoughts.

I didn't think you would like this thread as it encourages debate and free thinking around a subject. Grading others indeed.... a league table! This is patronising even the moderators.. dont you think they do something like this already?

But this is a thread for discussion and of airing opinion... so your views are welcome.

Paul:

Thank You for re-instating the Genesis thread...nice to know that u listen and take on board comments made fairly and justly .....much appreciated :) Also removes the implicated doubts that its deletion cast, and puts it back into the melting pot for those who have purchased it to comment upon if they so wish.

Quote:

Threads and posts are removed for all sorts of reasons - some because of legal implications, some because of copyright infrigements, some because of abuse, some because they contain profanities, some because they contain threats to others, some because they are there to deceive others, some because they are blatent or disguised advertising, some because they are duplicate posts, some because we have been asked to by the original poster if they cannot do it themselves, some because they are in the wrong place, etc, etc.

Skimbleshank

:rolleyes: hmmm...could any of Socrates comments posted above possibly be deemed to fall into at least one of the categories above? ........still, what the hell...if the great Socrates has the time, energy, inclination and pettyiness to "grade" me I guess I should be honoured not insulted...silly me :LOL:

I have never commented upon the Basement thread and have no wish to do so in the future! I also have no wish to cross swords or enter a slanging match with anyone on these boards.....I am happy that the subject of deletions has been aired and discussed on both sides and action taken.

The above post by Socrates is egotism: an exaggerated sense of self importance, the practice of talking about oneself too much. High intelligence and egotism can, unfortunately, exist side by side. It is becoming more difficult to put up with Socrates' egotism so as to obtain the useful information.

DaveJB said:
I think it ought to be flagged up somehow as a thread that isn't open to criticism sort of thing.
That's been done Dave. The first post has been edited with Skim's 'thread split' and special rules warning.

DaveJB said:
Newbies reading most threads will assume, if they see 'basement' and everybody in apparent agreement, that they've found the Holy Grail.
There's nothing 'tradeable' in that thread Dave. IMHO newbies would really benefit from reading it as it's genuinely fundamental stuff. I suspect (myself included when a newbie) that it wouldn't be of any interest to newbies because it doesn't go into any systematic or rules-based definitions on 'how' to trade or 'what' to trade or 'when' to trade.

If all newbies went through that thread far fewer would end up ever trading - which would be good for them - bad for us.

SOCRATES said:
What is going on here ? What is this behaviour for poeple who aspire to become traders?

I am going to tell you all right now that I am not Grey 1 or Iraj. There is only one of me and that is enough.

Furthermore you are all under the misconception that because you have acquired the hardware, the datafeeds, the software and opened trading accounts,and that you can read and write, add and subtract and multiply and divide, that this makes you traders.You are all very much mistaken in your assumptions. Real traders are committed, serious, dedicated, reliable people, which you are displaying not to be by your collective and individual conduct on this thread, and elsewhere.

Finally, I will tell you now that I am keeping a league table of who is giving unnecessary and unjustified aggravation to the moderators, who do their best to maintain the reputation and very high standards of integrity for which this website is renowned. You may consider it fun, I do not. I do not see it as funny at all.

In this connection I am grading members who post on my thread, not only according to the conduct they display there but elswhere, including here. I am attributing a weighting based on ability, merit and with particular emphasis on conduct.

Do not be surprised if you come to me and you find that the door to progress in this topic gets slammed in your face as a result of your behaviour here and elsewhere. I am watching very carefully, because in my circle I only admit the best according to the criteria described clearly above.

There will be no excuses and no apologies you can offer and no forgiveness granted.
That is all.

What is going on here ? What is this behaviour for poeple[sic] who aspire to become Gurus? :rolleyes:

I attempted to follow the 'no indicators/journey from basement' thread but gave up when I also could no longer suffer his interminable pompous, egocentric 'style'.
So I stopped reading the thread. No criticism/flaming/haranguing.

If he and the moderators wish his thread to be an 'arguement-free-zone' then that is also their prerogative. I can boycott the thread and this whole site if I don't agree.
But I just had to speak up when he comes on to THIS thread to 'threaten' no admittance to his hallowed circle and "....no forgiveness granted". :eek:

'Biased' and 'hypocritical' are two of the uncensored words that come to mind.

Well shucks, looks like i'll forever be outside the circle and forever damned. :p

For the record I do agree with the core of what he says (though it's darn hard listening to it from him).

That is all.

Be careful Zow

Words like pompous . egocentric etc will land you in hot water

Its a pity you do'nt follow the thread any longer. His latest post at 4:30 pm yesterday is absolutely brilliant.

I agree with zow here. Socrates might have something intersting to say but I have never been able to learn from someone with such a pompous attitude. It is probably a weakness and something I should work on but I feel life is too short to bow and scrape to these people. Socrates has now fallen too low on my grading list to warrant a second chance.

Last edited:
“There is only one of me and that is enough” (I’ve counted at least two….)

Definitely appears to need moderating in all its personae….

Apart from on BB’s, probably inflammatory and schizophrenic in other situations as well; at dinner parties, in the garden etc etc :-

The Buddhist, a qualified professional hit the nail on the head:- http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showpost.php?p=114744&postcount=654

Historic parallels:-

“Real traders are committed, serious, dedicated, reliable people” – aspirations to elitism /purity of type (race?)

“in my circle I only admit the best “ - form a gang, maybe give them a black or brown shirt (in persona terms)

“I am grading members” – create an untermensch group with a view to segregation/ humiliation (attempts already seen)

“There will be no excuses and no apologies you can offer and no forgiveness granted.
That is all” – grim finality, the final solution.

Historic note:-

Socrates (469-399), despite his foundational place in the history of ideas, actually wrote nothing.

(!?)

Attachments

• socrates.jpg
    socrates.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Excellent post tradesmart! Absolutely superb...

Its posters like you that keep me from going :)

And to think... i thought you were one of his followers at first... I do apologise profusely!

High priest

It looks like Socrates is forming a new religion, I wonder who the High Priest will be ?

Personally I think his posts are great, but I won't be 'following his path', I already have a faith thanks.

Porks.

Harryp
I'll just have to take your word about the fantastic posting - good luck to you with it.

If someone accused me on these boards of being pompous and egocentric I'd go back and see what I had written that might just have given them that impression. If I found something then I might change the tone, inflection, syntax, whatever of further posts. If I could see nothing wrong i would ask the accuser what he/she thought was wrong and possibly discuss it. They may have a good point, else I could just ignore it as just another crank-raving and continue with my points if I felt I had something productive to say.
Personally I would NOT have a stroppy fit and threaten the whole site and all its bb contributors to exclusion from my little self-proclaimed kingdom. (big wooo...)

I, BigB and others are not wrong when we feel Soc is being pompous and egocentric (it is what we feel, no-one can deny anybody their feelings!). I was quite happy to keep those feelings unwritten until that last rant by Soc.
Maybe if Soc had adopted a different tone he would have even more readers of his thread.
Maybe Soc believes that getting past the patronising tone is all part of the 'learning process'.
Maybe Soc likes to be regarded as pompous and patronising. Whatever.....

It matters very little to me or him really!