Revenge Trading

This is a discussion on Revenge Trading within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; Great thread! I'm also a victim of revenge trading. I see that loss piling up and think "yeah, I'll show ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:59pm   #9

Joined Feb 2010
Re: Revenge Trading

Great thread! I'm also a victim of revenge trading. I see that loss piling up and think "yeah, I'll show the market, I'll win it all back AND some." Then subsequently fail miserably.

I've only been successful at regaining my loss and some after taking a short break and refreshing my brain. And then if I get ahead by a small amount I take that as a win and call it a day for trading.
Ninja_Trader is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:13pm   #10

Joined Jun 2005

If you can't get the "revenge" bit out of your brain - and it is difficult, always remember that "revenge is a dish best served cold". Thus if you really feel the need to get back at the market (despite the fact that no one is out there to get you) just do as all previous have suggested - walk away and come back later. You can then take your revenge in a cool, calm, collected, measured, and rule-compliant trade and stuff the profits in your pocket.

It's the only way.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:04pm   #11

Joined Apr 2009

So if revenge is a dish best served cold, and revenge is sweet.

Does that make revenge ice cream?
jon1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:07pm   #12

Joined Feb 2010

I think you are on to something Jon.

Considering most distraught girls who just broke up with their bf's eat ice cream for comfort in place of revenge...
Ninja_Trader is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:09pm   #13

Joined Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Trader View Post
I think you are on to something Jon.

Considering most distraught girls who just broke up with their bf's eat ice cream for comfort in place of revenge...
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:26pm   #14

Joined Aug 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaJammer View Post
Try asking yourself this...

"Just who am I taking revenge on?" Try and remember the market is a lot of things but one thing it truly isn't is personal.

Hope that helps.

GJ
Good point. I often wonder if revenge trading is less about making the money back and more about punishing yourself, subconsciously.

Obviously, the conscious mind tells you that you must find a good setup in order to make your money back but I do think on some level many traders are thinking to themselves, "I made some sh*t trades, so I don't care, I'll just take any old setup now - I deserve to lose money for trading so bad in the first place".

Some people will think this is a crazy argument although I always have Ed Seykota's "everyone gets what they want out of the markets" rolling around in the back of my mind.

I know this to be the case with me. Recently I had a ten or eleven winning trades in a row. They were sizable trades too in the sense that each one was netting a big gain for me so I felt on top of the world.

Then, on, lets call it the twelfth trade, I got a bit complacent and when the trade got to the first problem area I didn't get any out like I usually do but held it for the ultimate target. Suffice to say it didn't reach the target and started coming back. Since I was annoyed at having got nothing out, I just left the trade rather than securing anything and took my first loser.

Since I knew I had made a mistake and that mistake had not only broken a great winning streak when it shouldn't have but also cost me a good deal of money after being nicely up, I lost the plot somewhat.

The next trade was a complete mess. This is because I had lost my patience. The very next day I decided the market owed me what I had lost and in I jumped on the kind of downward movement that I try to repeatedly tell everyone is for suckers. I sell the low and it climbs up only to stop me out. What made this trade worse is that after it takes me out, it collapses.

So now the problems are compounding. I've had two losers back to back and the second one has topped and tailed me which makes me feel like I'm not only wrong but I'm also sh*t.

The negative emotions are not only increasing because the losses are increasing but because of the way I am losing.

So I take a break, I calm down and a day later I take the third trade. Now this trade is a good trade according to my rules but the problem here is that I don't get out where I should for a great profit because the money I would make isn't enough to compensate for the last two losses I have taken. The market comes back once again and this is the third loser.

At this point, I withdraw all funds from the account and leave a zero balance. I know this sounds extreme but it is easy to pay money into and out of an account with a debit card (it takes seconds) and the way I see it - no money, no trading. So temptation is gone and when I have had time to assess, in I can go again.

This is far, far better for me for just taking a break and going fishing etc and I will tell you why.

The good thing about doing this is that the next trade I take, I will have to PUT MONEY INTO THE ACCOUNT.

You get your card out, you fill in the amount you want to transfer - it feels like you are paying a bill online or something. This makes you realise you are trading with real money and not an electronic number that means nothing. As a result it means that you make damn sure the setup you are taking is a good one. Or at least that is the way it works for me.

This is one of my personal strategies for stopping the bleeding and making sure that when I come back, I come back strong.

Increasing trader performance: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...rformance.html

Advice for getting a job in trading: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...b-trading.html

Last edited by trader_dante; Apr 23, 2010 at 6:34pm.
trader_dante is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: leovirgo , spy74 , SuperDriveGuy
Old Apr 23, 2010, 7:04pm   #15

Joined Apr 2009

Good advice there trader_dante almost like playing a psychological trick on your own subconscious..
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:07pm   #16

Joined Feb 2010

I'm also finding that having distractions really takes away from the trading experience. Once I get into a conversation with someone, or something along those lines, I lose track of the charts, and then as soon as I get back into it I'm a lost cause. It's almost like I'm just plunked down in the middle of a random forest.