Average down - small wins, big losses?

This is a discussion on Average down - small wins, big losses? within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by pebesiak You lose small and win big Yes, that's better. Do that....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:01am   #9
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebesiak View Post
You lose small and win big
Yes, that's better. Do that.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:06am   #10

Joined Nov 2003
Quote:
You will be getting out at 1890 because you have reached your max position limit at 1895. Is averaging up not better? You lose small and win big
No, you want to be buying low selling high. What youve described is a stopping out, selling out low. You never want to be that guy.
Check your pm
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:26am   #11
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktone View Post
No, you want to be buying low selling high. What youve described is a stopping out, selling out low. You never want to be that guy.
Check your pm
This buying low selling high sounds interesting. Can you PM me too with your technique ?
Thanks! The following members like this post: Kaeso
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:37am   #12
Joined May 2012
Quote:
Please provide a practical example. Let's say your first long entry is at 1900. Then the price moves to 1902, so you exit with a small size. On another occasion, you enter long at 1900, the price moves down to 1898, you add more, to 1895, you add more and to 1890 where you exit with a big loss. How is that a viable strategy?
You have already defined the problem more specifically as a loosing proposition in terms of the parameter which you have used to frame it unlike your first post.

In contrast, when scaling in which big players often do, they might used a variation of fractional position sizing. There are some obvious reason why such an approach is used. It is a wash and rinse to generate liquidity to get fills at wholesale prices. Big players because of their volume move market prices significantly and so they need to work on their order fills. They might actually have to sell to buy.
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:28pm   #13

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
.. Is averaging up not better? You lose small and win big
Its kind of a personal preference. If you can handle having more winning trades that turn into losers in order to have a few that are bigger winners then this can work.
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:44pm   #14

Joined Jul 2017
in my experience losers average losers...

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:56pm   #15
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
Its kind of a personal preference. If you can handle having more winning trades that turn into losers in order to have a few that are bigger winners then this can work.
I haven't seen Dr Whatshisname since he said he was going to pyramid it big time. Maybe he won so much he no longer needs advice from the curve fitters on the internet. Same technique also won brewski big. I don't understand why he stopped and went took a job as a steamroller driver.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:04pm   #16

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe View Post
I haven't seen Dr Whatshisname since he said he was going to pyramid it big time. Maybe he won so much he no longer needs advice from the curve fitters on the internet....
who? Dr Toad?
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote