Loneliness in Trading

This is a discussion on Loneliness in Trading within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; How do you deal with it. Sent me mad at times and had to go back to work a few ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:18am   #1

Joined May 2015
Loneliness in Trading

How do you deal with it.

Sent me mad at times and had to go back to work a few times now.

Even found that driving the car was a problem, so many people and cars when I did go out.

Need one of those jobs where you work 2 weeks on and have 2 weeks off.

Then after going back to work for 12 months want to work from home again.
Oscar Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:19am   #2
Joined Jan 2010
Trade longer time frames like weekly and you can still work or do what you like.
Weekends i workout the setup place an order and then just spend a few minutes in the evenings
checking that everything is still on track.
I do better now not watching the markets than i did sitting there watching every tick.
And i'm free to do what ever takes my fancy.
plus it's nice to come home after being out allday injoying yourself to find you made money while doing it.
The down side is all my friends are at work, so your still on your own.but i don't mind my own company.
Hope it helps.
ibetyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton , Oscar Reed , options-george , jools-radicalclarity
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:13pm   #3
Joined Dec 2015
I joined this forum looking for like-minded people exactly because I didn't want to feel lonely as a trader. It's good to speak with someone who is interested in the same things as you.
dianajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:32pm   #4

Joined Mar 2004
I know the feeling but even so it's better than having to go to a boring office.
For exercise I do some gardening between shifts on the PC, walk the dog or snooze in the sun. No need to go to the Costa Lotta either. The sun loggia gets up to 80+ degrees now if it's sunny.
There is always online poker, bridge, chess etc. too.

I used to play golf. tennis and sail ( sold the yacht last year ) but time has stopped all that frivolity.
Me
Pat494 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: options-george
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:27pm   #5
Joined Jan 2006
You could also try to get together with other independent traders and form an office together. Obviously this is easier to do in some locations than in others.

I have found this very beneficial from both a social perspective as well as a learning perspective.

And for a honest look into trading, check out my T2W member profile (published Dec2015)
options-george is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: JanetW87
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:39pm   #6
Joined Jul 2010
Google coworking and deskspace in the area you are in. You don't necessarily have to be with other traders, just other people. It is a lot cheaper than a desk in the City. Coworking is growing exponentially.

Last edited by Trading Spaces; Jan 12, 2016 at 9:10pm.
Trading Spaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: JanetW87
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:40pm   #7
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
. . . or snooze in the sun. No need to go to the Costa Lotta either. The sun loggia gets up to 80+ degrees now if it's sunny.
Sun, what sun Pat? Down here in Devon, we haven't seen blue sky - let alone sunshine - since last September!
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Pat494
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:58pm   #8

Joined May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Reed View Post
How do you deal with it.

Sent me mad at times and had to go back to work a few times now.

Even found that driving the car was a problem, so many people and cars when I did go out.

Need one of those jobs where you work 2 weeks on and have 2 weeks off.

Then after going back to work for 12 months want to work from home again.
Hey Oscar, I would have missed this thread, but glad it has been bumped. I know it's fairly old, but still a very good point you made. I couldn't imagine trading from home 8am-4.30pm these days, but I used to so I know exactly what you mean re driving the car
Previously when my head was buried too far in this game, spending too much time at the screens, I'd go out & think "where have all these people come from, get outta my way ?"

I do my normal work as a freelancer for approx 6 to 8 months of the year & the hours I do when on the trading side has been reduced quite alot, this year I plan to do just the afternoon 1/1.30pm-4pm (2.5-3 hours max, profit or loss) this means I do not even think about trading when not in it, apart from the odd t2w post, I could'n't care less what the markets do outside my time.
The platform does not go on until I'm ready to view the situation in the markets. It is going to mean I miss the morning madness & potential points on offer (or not, I got kicked about yesterday morning), but it's all about trading in a way that suits me, I'm not an early morning person.

So the plan is : morning & up to 1pm'ish is spent doing other things, which take me away from the screens, house etc. Even if I'm not out of the house I'm talking to people, texting, doing other constructive things etc.
1pm-4pm try not to get too bitch slapped by the markets & hope the morning hasn't produced too much of a grinding consol-period.
Then at 4pm the platform goes back off if I do not have an open position. I do not even watch the close any more.

I've said a few times this game is vacuous if we allow it to be.
A curious thing happened to me while going through the early learning process, I realised that my current work situation was actually something I hadn't fully appreciated for a long time, I'd become blase to just how lucky I was, not just money wise, but more so the year on year feeling of freedom, very important to me.

This game seems to attract people for the obvious reasons, but it's funny how it's unearthed some other anomaly's within me.

Great taste in music you have by the way mate.

Ps Money is just one currency.
tokyojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: options-george , Oscar Reed , jools-radicalclarity