emotion vs. prediction

This is a discussion on emotion vs. prediction within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; When I emoted on each trade independent of the trades before it, my emotion matched the trade. I learned to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:50pm   #25
Joined Jul 2014
pennycapitalist started this thread When I emoted on each trade independent of the trades before it, my emotion matched the trade. I learned to smooth my emotions over a whole series of trades. It helped for me to believe that over a whole series the end result would be profitable. Recently I had 14 losses in a row; my confidence began to wane. I took a couple of days off from the market, confidence came back, I went back to the market with my same old system and took seven straight wins. When the 1st loss came, it came with little emotion except gratitude that I have learned to limit my losses and maximize my wins tuned to the current market. When the market moves against me and my emotions start to rise, I recall my resolve to trade and believe in the series rather than the individual, watch the stop line on my chart knowing everything is under control. I may move my stop closer to the negative price movement...but never away from it. A history of success in the series drains the emotion of a single losing trade...even a number of them as I mature as a consistently successful trader.
pennycapitalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2016, 7:43am   #26

Joined Feb 2011
Forex market is not for those who are emotional and take any Trades based on their emotions and never base their predictions on their Knowledge and its really dangerous for any one who want to start Forex with such habit.
amittimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:25am   #27
Joined Dec 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by amittimothy View Post
Forex market is not for those who are emotional and take any Trades based on their emotions and never base their predictions on their Knowledge and its really dangerous for any one who want to start Forex with such habit.
We're all emotional though. It's human nature to be emotional, there's nothing wrong with that. That said, learning how to control your emotions and keep a cool head is vital for any trader wanting to succeed.
mlawson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:42pm   #28
Joined Feb 2002
For "emotions" in trading we normally think of Fear and Greed. Conjures up an image of a hysterical, manic, bi-polar, frantic trader.

But the term is loose in English and maybe we should keep in mind the danger comes form anything psychological which we project onto the trade, rather than objective information from a chart, etc. So, suspicion, hope, bias, optimism, pessimism, instinct - and all other mental "attitudes" and biases - are going to be prejudicial to objective trading.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:12pm   #29

5 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
we can differentiate between affective characteristics (eg. moods and emotions) and cognitive (eg. beliefs and expectations). As regards social factors (eg. Networks and social norms), they act facilitating or inhibiting the expression of a given behavior.
zenzaa is offline Commercial web site   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:25am   #30

Joined Sep 2015
I don't think emotions should be the directing force when making a decision, whether you're entering a deal or something else. If you keep in mind that emotions are of a temporary nature, you will probably regret the decision you had made several minutes prior and lose a large sum of money in the end. My advice is before entering a deal, think it over for a few minutes and then, after calming down a little make the right choice.
robbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:57pm   #31
Joined Oct 2016
Here, emotions are generally unnecessary. They need to leave, only make decisions with a clear head and no emotion
Alexander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:10pm   #32

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by radhikha singh View Post
it is not practically possible to become emotionless as you are not a trading robot.. but yes you should have a good command on being both depressed and excited if you want to do trading successfully.
Actually, it is *click*.

If you're emotional about your trading, you shouldn't be trading.