Is it possible to feel no emotion when you win or lose a trade?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to feel no emotion when you win or lose a trade? within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; Some great responses over the past week, thanks everyone who stepped up to the pulpit. New topic coming tomorrow......

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:20pm   #31
The Staff are paid members employed by T2W to perform some specific role such as editorial, advertising or technical work.
 
Sharky's Avatar
Joined Nov 2000
Sharky started this thread Some great responses over the past week, thanks everyone who stepped up to the pulpit.

New topic coming tomorrow...
__________________
* New to the site? Introduce yourself. Before posting don't forget to read our Community Constitution
* New to trading? Ask a question in the First Steps forum
Sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:55am   #32
 
darktone's Avatar
Joined Nov 2003
Reading through the thread it seems like the majority go with 'you have emotions, they are unavoidable, you have to learn to cope with them.' etc etc. This imo is a bad approach.

As ive said before,imo and experience, you cant feel anything unless you think it first. It follows then that you should be very careful of what and how you think, and in turn, believe. Because just like a person suffering from depression, if your thoughts / beliefs are distorted from reality (in a way that detrimental to you) youre in for one rough irrational ride.

Physical:
About the only physical way trading can negatively affect you (outside of you stressing yourself silly) imo is the loss of money, so you have to be realistic about what losing X amount of money means to you. Its called 'risk capital' for a reason, its at real risk! In part from the market, but mainly from you becoming emotionally destabilized, and being a wally. Only trade with money you can afford (mentally and physically) to lose.

Mental:
The ways in which we can mentally mess ourselves up is endless. The one thing they will all have in common, be they thoughts / beliefs / expectations, whatever, is that they will all be unrealistic next to reality. You have to find out which parts are relevant to you, which personally cause you distress and compare them with reality as best you can. From there things become easier as its really difficult to believe something that is obviously untrue.
How can you change the way you think / what you you believe etc? Buy a decent book on CBT / depression, grab a pen and paper and get busy. "Nah! That psychobabble aint for me!"... Well done genius, youve just unwittingly defeated yourself.

Imo and experience, when you get this stuff lined up, trading can be pretty stressless.
As suggested earlier, when youre under your own personal gun, measure your heartbeat and compare to 'at rest'. Do the same again when youve done some work on yourself mentally.
__________________
Me and you, we is largely the same bruv! We dont know sht! The difference is, I know I dont know sht!!
darktone is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Forexmospherian , Trader333 , Sharky
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:19am   #33
The Staff are paid members employed by T2W to perform some specific role such as editorial, advertising or technical work.
 
Sharky's Avatar
Joined Nov 2000
Sharky started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktone View Post
How can you change the way you think / what you you believe etc? Buy a decent book on CBT / depression, grab a pen and paper and get busy. "Nah! That psychobabble aint for me!"... Well done genius, youve just unwittingly defeated yourself.
If like me, you were wondering what CBT stands for, it's: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and there are some good recommendations for books on Quora here:

http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-best-...y-for-a-layman
http://www.quora.com/Cognitive-Behav...ned-practioner
__________________
* New to the site? Introduce yourself. Before posting don't forget to read our Community Constitution
* New to trading? Ask a question in the First Steps forum
Sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:54am   #34
 
darktone's Avatar
Joined Nov 2003
+1 on 'Feeling good'. Is beer money s/h on amazon.
__________________
Me and you, we is largely the same bruv! We dont know sht! The difference is, I know I dont know sht!!
darktone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:04pm   #35
Joined Aug 2014
The problem with self-administered cognitive therapy is much like everything else which is self-administered for which you are not trained or an expert in, it'll give you a short-term fix, possibly, but at the expense of focusing on your primary objectives - for the sake of argument given the stated interest topic of this site - trading. If your emotions are such an issue it's a problem then get professional help. The old NLP thing was all the rage a few years ago and every man and his dog were curing themselves and offering to cure everyone else of all sorts of things they didn't know they had. If you have emotions which are proving problematic when you're trading and not in any other area of your life - sort out the trading issues, don't waste time hunting for the 'you' issues which are 'impacting' your trading as there probably are none. If you have emotional problems with everything then you're Irish and no amount of sorting will help, you're doomed.
Pat Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:50pm   #36
 
robster970's Avatar
Joined Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Riley View Post
If you have emotional problems with everything then you're Irish and no amount of sorting will help, you're doomed.
__________________
Confident about your performance? Perhaps you should consider the Dunning-Kruger effect
robster970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:21pm   #37
 
darktone's Avatar
Joined Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Riley View Post
The problem with self-administered cognitive therapy is much like everything else which is self-administered for which you are not trained or an expert in, it'll give you a short-term fix, possibly, but at the expense of focusing on your primary objectives - for the sake of argument given the stated interest topic of this site - trading. If your emotions are such an issue it's a problem then get professional help. The old NLP thing was all the rage a few years ago and every man and his dog were curing themselves and offering to cure everyone else of all sorts of things they didn't know they had. If you have emotions which are proving problematic when you're trading and not in any other area of your life - sort out the trading issues, don't waste time hunting for the 'you' issues which are 'impacting' your trading as there probably are none. If you have emotional problems with everything then you're Irish and no amount of sorting will help, you're doomed.
Wot a loada bollox! Apart from the Irish bit!
__________________
Me and you, we is largely the same bruv! We dont know sht! The difference is, I know I dont know sht!!
darktone is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Pat Riley
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:39pm   #38
Joined Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktone View Post
Wot a loada bollox! Apart from the Irish bit!
Now tell me mr. darktone, how long have you been harbouring these feelings of aggression and anger toward humanity in general and Irish folk in particular? Just allow your eyes to close and become comfortable with yourself as you inwardly melt and become soft and pliant. Enjoy the soft breeze on your face which is what you will feel shortly before my first of fury hammers into your Paddyphobic mush.

There ya bugger. Reframe that.
Pat Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:51pm   #39
 
robster970's Avatar
Joined Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Riley View Post
Now tell me mr. darktone, how long have you been harbouring these feelings of aggression and anger toward humanity in general and Irish folk in particular? Just allow your eyes to close and become comfortable with yourself as you inwardly melt and become soft and pliant. Enjoy the soft breeze on your face which is what you will feel shortly before my first of fury hammers into your Paddyphobic mush.

There ya bugger. Reframe that.
I think I'm going to start a thread called 'Ask Uncle Pat' as I think he has a touch of the Clare Raynor's about him and he could help us all......
__________________
Confident about your performance? Perhaps you should consider the Dunning-Kruger effect
robster970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:54pm   #40
 
darktone's Avatar
Joined Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Riley View Post
Now tell me mr. darktone, how long have you been harbouring these feelings of aggression and anger toward humanity in general and Irish folk in particular? Just allow your eyes to close and become comfortable with yourself as you inwardly melt and become soft and pliant. Enjoy the soft breeze on your face which is what you will feel shortly before my first of fury hammers into your Paddyphobic mush.

There ya bugger. Reframe that.
Pat, you got me all wrong mate. Is only recently that ive been re evaluating some of my beliefs re the Irish (as in the last 10 minutes) and realised that im way out of touch with reality. Now if you dont mind, being 1/4 Irish myself, im off to accept the fact that im 25% F**ked! Wheres mi pen n paper!?
__________________
Me and you, we is largely the same bruv! We dont know sht! The difference is, I know I dont know sht!!
darktone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:54pm   #41
Joined Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster970 View Post
I think I'm going to start a thread called 'Ask Uncle Pat' as I think he has a touch of the Clare Raynor's about him and he could help us all......
If I find out Clare Raynor's is cockney for something I'll be after ya.
Pat Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: robster970 , darktone
Old Sep 26, 2014, 3:02pm   #42
 
darktone's Avatar
Joined Nov 2003
Come to think of it, im 25% sweaty too. As the windows of opportunity close before my eyes! (he sighs)
__________________
Me and you, we is largely the same bruv! We dont know sht! The difference is, I know I dont know sht!!
darktone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:50am   #43
Joined Oct 2014
When it comes to dealing with your own emotions online poker>trading imho

In the stock market you can do all the research before you make any trades. Nobody is forcing you - time is not against you! In poker, blinds gradually increase so you're often faced with difficult decisions with seconds left to act. It all comes down to your read from opponent who btw isn't even physically sitting there for you to gawk at so you're left to pull numbers from your head, delve into your 6th sense or succumb to your emotions. (Which is what the majority end up doing.)

There is such a luck element in poker, you can do everything right and still lose. They say poker is only 10% skill, 90% luck. Imo, that 90% has a lot to do with how well you control your emotions but since poker is such an adrenaline game /w bad players left & right that tilt the hell out of you (among various other factors,) it becomes incredibly hard to manage consistently.

Try to make a living from this for 5+ yrs while catching the absolute low-end of the variance stick and you get an idea where I'm coming from. If the stock market is the pendulum of emotions, then poker must be the roller coaster of emotions.

Last edited by MistakesWereMade; Nov 5, 2014 at 10:47am.
MistakesWereMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:51am   #44
Joined Apr 2015
Of course not! Emotions always we will have. It is important to be able to manage them and not let them take us.
Svetlana Korj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:12pm   #45
Joined Oct 2016
How is it possible without emotion. We're people not robots. But the main thing as said above to control them
Alexander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Find out why 90% of all traders lose and 10% win big_trader Psychology, Risk & Money Management 34 Apr 22, 2017 7:35am
win/lose more important than tax alex2006 Spread Betting & CFDs 12 Dec 9, 2011 6:15pm
You have to lose before you can win ... GotGold First Steps 6 Oct 6, 2004 10:12am
Lose/Win Percentage for a Good Trading System pkfryer Psychology, Risk & Money Management 61 May 27, 2004 10:51pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)