University

N Rothschild

Legendary member
I am intrested in going to study economics somewhere at a high level..how ever i dont have the grades to get into a top school..and i dropped out of uni a few years ago.. (nothing to do with my intelligence, i was personal choices)

are there any alternative avenues to pursue this? i.e forking up alot of money lol

Open university? Not sure how much that costs. I guess you could do a full-time undergrad course if you wanted but maybe it's not an option to you?

You can of course get a few macro/micro economic books and do some personal reading to learn a bit.

Open university? Not sure how much that costs. I guess you could do a full-time undergrad course if you wanted but maybe it's not an option to you?

You can of course get a few macro/micro economic books and do some personal reading to learn a bit.

i do alot of self learning in economics but i want to step it up a gear. open uni is not really what im looking for..

problem with doing a full time undergrad course is i dont have the grades to get in due to not giving a flying **** and mucking about in school...was like 10years ago!

call up unis and ask...i believe the admission process is different for mature students.

Last edited:
The other thing you can do, assuming you don't want a piece of paper at the end of it, is just pop along to the lectures at your local uni and hope no one notices...

I am intrested in going to study economics somewhere at a high level..how ever i dont have the grades to get into a top school..and i dropped out of uni a few years ago.. (nothing to do with my intelligence, i was personal choices)

are there any alternative avenues to pursue this? i.e forking up alot of money lol

www.ems.bbk.ac.uk/bsc_programmes

Part time (evening, 4 years) undergraduate course. Your current qualifications are more then enough for entry.

Searchlight

i do alot of self learning in economics but i want to step it up a gear. open uni is not really what im looking for..

problem with doing a full time undergrad course is i dont have the grades to get in due to not giving a flying **** and mucking about in school...was like 10years ago!

Same ****** up at school and college but got into a s**t uni now I’m doing both uni and A- levels as a private candidate , economics, maths ! Teaching myself and then i will pay (£25) to sit the exams at some college near me! A-levels are quite easy if you put in the time.

I am puzzled why you dismiss the OU. It would at first sight seem ideally suited for your position. It is not an easy option, so you would be "stepping it up a gear". It includes tutorials, marked assignments and examinations , demanding study material so it is far more than self learning. It is not a full time undergrad course and has no entrance requirements, so you will not have a problem getting in.

For economics you can really tailor it around your particular business/economic interests.

I have degress from both a traditional university and the Open University and I can confirm that the content of the latter and its reputation is solid.

Charlton

Entry requirements are often different for mature students, particularly if you have been working in a related field, so it is worth you checking if you have a university of preference.

I am not clear on exactly what you are looking for from the university degree. If you just want to step up your learning and don't care about the piece of paper at the end, then enrolling at a university is unnecessary. The main benefits of being on courses are not that the lecturer will teach you amazing new things you won't find anywhere else. The benefits of being on a course are:

1) The lecturer will structure it to separate the important parts out for you (this is very important, because there is always too much info, and you could spend the rest of your life just reading economics books)
2) It can add discipline because it keeps you working each week, and revising for an exam
3) You have others also working on it with you which helps (and access to the student bars :p)

But, the main one for learning is 1), and for that your best bet is to look at a top university's web pages. Lots of them will produce course pages which will list the important topics, and recommended reading, and that gives you the important stuff.

I recommend you check this out
Free Online MIT Course Materials | Economics | MIT OpenCourseWare

Click on a course and there will be a "download course materials" link on the lower right. These will be of varying standards, but MIT is not a bad university :). There are actually a lot of free resources online from top universities around the world.

thanks for the advice, i have obtained the reading lists for the LSE economics, so im gona get a few of those and start there :)

He just got the reading list, he didn't enrol today. LSE is as good a place as any I suppose.

Genics, I'm sure you'd sail through a Uni course with your eyes shut. I mean just look at SOME of the people who qualify as accountants. Some of them wouldn't know one end of a calculator from another.
Richard