Gaps

Splitlink

Legendary member
Hi there,

I would like to know some thoughts on gap trading.

I read, somewhere, that a venerable trader will not trade long on a gap down until that gap closes. He always places short trades.

Is that, generally, the opìnion of most?

and

This trader was a scalper. Would it apply to all timeframes, including a daily chart?

Split

I read somewhere that most gaps are faded within the first 15 minutes of market open. If it isn't then there is a good chance the market will continue in the direction, ie Gap up=Higher, Gap down=lower

I'm not a scalper and don't do gap trades intraday but using EOD data I have found hole-in-the-wall gaps good predictors for shorting targets and 3-day unfilled gap reversl good for both long and short.

I read somewhere that most gaps are faded within the first 15 minutes of market open. If it isn't then there is a good chance the market will continue in the direction, ie Gap up=Higher, Gap down=lower

dunno what markets your refering to but the s&p and dow can take a while to close the gap and ussualy do like 80% of the time, and alot of the time gap up often means a down day, or gap down means an up day

dunno what markets your refering to but the s&p and dow can take a while to close the gap and ussualy do like 80% of the time, and alot of the time gap up often means a down day, or gap down means an up day

What you wrote isn't very different to what I wrote. What does the market do in the "while" it takes to close the gap? I should have been more specific with details: Traders attempt to fade any gap when the market opens and usually, if the gap isn't faded within the first 15 minutes it will reverse and head higher for an up gap and lower for a down gap.

N.B: This is from an article I read!

Hi there,

I would like to know some thoughts on gap trading.

I read, somewhere, that a venerable trader will not trade long on a gap down until that gap closes. He always places short trades.

Is that, generally, the opìnion of most?

and

This trader was a scalper. Would it apply to all timeframes, including a daily chart?

Split

I think value areas come into the equation with this one.
This question had a definitive answer from theBramble some time ago.

When the market opens above where the bulk of yesterday's trading took place - then, when it trades down to the high of that area, if it does not bounce, but instead starts trading through that level, it is likely to go all the way down and test the lows of that area.

When the market opens below where the bulk of yesterday's trading took place - then, when it trades up to the low of that area, if it does not bounce, but instead starts trading through that level, it is likely to go all the way up and test the highs of that area

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to keep an eye on ULVR, to see how the gap works out. Might take days or months .

THey gapped down on the figures, so in theory, there should still be a bearish stance until somethings changes that...

but thats only the theory...the reality is ??????