Best Economic & Fundamental Analysis books

RoryP

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good books on economic fundamental analysis. I have searched but have yet to com across anything specific. I have to say that the macroeconomic aproach to investing appeals to me allot and I am eager to study it in more deatail.

Many thanks,

Rory

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good books on economic fundamental analysis. I have searched but have yet to com across anything specific. I have to say that the macroeconomic aproach to investing appeals to me allot and I am eager to study it in more deatail.

Many thanks,

Rory

HI Rory

Why dont you use the useful information that is available on the web. You can search it using one of the best search engine and typing your key words.

I have came across a very beautiful website called 'www.investopedia.com' and found it very useful for beginners. It contains lots of information on almost everything you want.
Just go through it and share ur experience with me.
Wish you all the best..........
Rohit

Hi,

Many thanks,

Rory

:D

I must tell you about Schwager's "Fundamental Analysis on Futures".

I had it sent out by mail order in mistake for his TA book.

It is in mint condition. If I knew your address, I'd give it to you for the postage.

I'm not saying that it is no good. On the contrary. His TA book is frequently consulted but, Phew! You have to be keen!

Hi,

Many thanks,

Rory

Yeah..that is interesting. There is not many books on fundamentals on forex..I wonder why.

Yeah..that is interesting. There is not many books on fundamentals on forex..I wonder why.

Because most people don't understand the fundamentals and lack the patients and intelligence required to master the art of comprehending anything. Case of micro chip revolution where instant knowledge and digital gratification is an essential ingredient and anything that takes longer than 7 seconds is forgotten as people move on.

I look at peoples faces and they all look like dorks to me.

Rather than reading a book I'd recommend the Investors Chronicle and the Economist. Read these publications with a view to digesting the subject material. Don't just read.

Having said that fundamental analysis is pretty useless if you want to trade the markets. Technical analysis is far superior imo.

FA is only good if you want to trade company shares, read balance sheets and look at company earnings with market stats etc.

Finally, there is no such thing as best as there is no one FA. Life is not like the Matrix and I suspect you aren't exactly the one looking for the holy grail... There are 00s of FA. More a case of what will do. Suits you sir... :cheesy:

Just incase I'm wrong I'd be grateful if you let me know when you do find it... (y)

the chronicle and the economist? and here was me thinking you get all your theory from the telegraph on your way to work. how wrong i was.

Hi,

Many thanks,

Rory

Learn economic indicators and then trade against the market expectations for these.

Also, read the macroeconomic views of other investors to get an idea of the current outlook.

It depends what markets and timeframe you want to trade too.

the chronicle and the economist? and here was me thinking you get all your theory from the telegraph on your way to work. how wrong i was.

Arrogant little ****. Typically wrong again.

For someone starting out - applied economics with a view to trading is a better approach to take than pure theoretical economics which can seem obtuse and bear little useful relevancy to market trading. Hence, the publications.

Obnoxious snob, go an wipe your nose.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'd have to side with Genics here (aside from his offensive approach lol). IMO half the time, what you're doing when you read those papers is getting an unqualified opinion, misinformation/corporate strategy or just a plain old scoop. If you don't have a grounding in the theory how the hell are you meant to know the likely resultants of event x?

Arrogant little ****. Typically wrong again.

For someone starting out - applied economics with a view to trading is a better approach to take than pure theoretical economics which can seem obtuse and bear little useful relevancy to market trading. Hence, the publications.

Obnoxious snob, go an wipe your nose.

:LOL:

These are only a few that I've read recently:

Hot Commodities : How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market by Jim Rogers

Investment Visionaries: Lessons in Creating Wealth from the World's Greatest by Peter J. Tanous & James V. Kimsey

Financial Fine Print: Uncovering a Company's True Value by Michelle Leder

The Vulture Investors by Hilary Rosenberg

Predicting the Markets of Tomorrow : A Contrarian Investment Strategy for the Next Twenty Years by James P. O'Shaughnessy

Reinventing the Bazaar: A Natural History of Markets by John McMillan

The Little Book of Value Investing by Christopher H. Browne

Competition Demystified : A Radically Simplified Approach to Business Strategy by Bruce Greenwald, Judd Kahn

Trade Like Warren Buffett by James Altucher

A Modern Approach to Graham and Dodd Investing by Thomas P. Au

Security Analysis by Benjamin Graham

Missed Fortune : Dispel the Money Myth-Conceptions--Isn't It Time You Became Wealthy? by Douglas R.Andrew

The Future for Investors : Why the Tried and the True Triumph Over the Bold and the New by Jeremy J. Siegel

F.I.A.S.C.O.: The Inside Story of a Wall Street Trader by Frank Partnoy

The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: Eradicating Poverty Through Profits by C.K. Prahalad

Winning the Loser's Game by Charles D. Ellis

How Buffett Does It by James Pardoe

Warren Buffett : An Illustrated Biography of the World's Most Successful Investor by Ayano Morio

Unconventional Success : A Fundamental Approach to Personal Investment by David F. Swensen

Origins of the Crash: The Great Bubble and Its Undoing by Roger Lowenstein

Great Crash 1929 by John Kenneth

One Billion Customers : Lessons from the Front Lines of Doing Business in China by James McGregor

The Origins of Value: The Financial Innovations that Created Modern Capital Markets by William Goetzmann

What Goes Up : The Uncensored History of Modern Wall Street as Told by the Bankers, Brokers, CEOs, and Scoundrels Who Made It Happen by Eric J. Weiner

Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy by Matthew R. Simmons

Fischer Black and the Revolutionary Idea of Finance by Perry Mehrling

The Battle for the Soul of Capitalism by John C. Bogle

The Little Book That Beats the Market by Joel Greenblatt & Andrew Tobias

Investment Fables : Exposing the Myths of "Can't Miss" Investment Strategies by Aswath Damodaran

The Rich and How They Got That Way: How the Wealthiest People of All Time--from Genghis Khan to Bill Gates--Made Their Fortunes by Cynthia Crossen

Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron by Bethany McLean, Peter Elkind

J. K. Lasser's Pick Stocks Like Warren Buffett by Warren Boroson

Classics: An Investor's Anthology by Charles D. Ellis & James R. Vertin

Minding Mr. Market: Ten Years on Wall Street With Grant's Interest Rate Observer by James Grant

The Trouble With Prosperity: A Contrarian's Tale of Boom, Bust, and Speculation by James Grant

From Butler to Buffett: The Story Behind the Buffalo News by Murray B. Light, Warren E. Buffett

Warren Buffett Wealth : Principles and Practical Methods Used by the World's Greatest Investor by Robert P. Miles

Warren Buffett: : Master of the Market by Jay Steele

The Misbehavior of Markets by Benoit Mandelbrot & Richard Hudson

Wall Street People: True Stories of Today's Masters and Moguls by Charles D. Ellis

Julian Robertson : A Tiger in the Land of Bulls and Bears by Daniel A.Strachman

The Warren Buffett Way, Second Edition by Robert G. Hagstrom

The New Financial Capitalists: Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and the Creation of Corporate Value by George P. Baker and George David Smith

Creating Shareholder Value: A Guide for Managers and Investors by Alfred Rappaport

The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life by Alice Schroeder

A Short History of Financial Euphoria by John Kenneth

The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book On Value Investing by Benjamin Graham, Jason Zweig

Capital: The Story of Long-Term Investment Excellence by Charles D. Ellis

Running Money : Hedge Fund Honchos, Monster Marke12:12 PM 2/12/2008ts and My Hunt for the Big Score by Andy Kessler

The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money (Great Minds Series) by John Maynard Keynes

Trade Like a Hedge Fund : 20 Successful Uncorrelated Strategies & amp by James Altucher

Bull's Eye Investing: Targeting Real Returns in a Smoke and Mirrors Market by John Mauldin

Aimr Performance Presentation Stand 1997 by Aimr

Distressed Securities : Analyzing and Evaluating Market Potential and Investment Risk by Edward I. Altman

Investing in Junk Bonds: Inside the High Yield Debt Market by Edward I. Altman, Scott A. Nammacher

Valuegrowth Investing by Glen Arnold

High Yield Bonds: Market Structure, Portfolio Management, and Credit Risk Modeling by Theodore M. Barnhill, William F. Maxwell, Mark R. Shenkman

Baruch: My Own Story by Bernard Baruch

Wealthy and Wise: Secrets About Money by Neuberger Berman, Heidi L. Steiger

Analysis of Financial Statements by Leopold A. Bernstein, John J. Wild

Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk by Peter L. Bernstein

Corporate Bankruptcy : Economic and Legal Perspectives by Jagdeep S. Bhandari(Editor), Lawrence A. Weiss(Editor), Barry E. Adler(Editor)

Common Sense on Mutual Funds by John C. Bogle
(Wonderful Book. I highly recommend all of John Bogle's writings to any investor. John's views are strongly grounded with both theory and extensive empirical data.)

John Bogle on Investing by John C. Bogle

Bankruptcy Investing : How to Profit from Distressed Companies by Ben Branch, Hugh Ray

Investment Titans: Investment Insights from the Minds that Move Wall Street by Jonathan Burton

Buffettology by Mary Buffett and David Clark
(Buffett does not endorse this book. It misses out on the extensive Special Situations/Workouts that Buffett continues to invest in. It's a good book to get started on Buffett's investment approach, but not one to use as the ultimate guide).

A Money Mind at Ninety by Philip Carret

The Art of Speculation by Philip Carret

Investing with the Hedge Fund Giants: Profits Whether Markets Rise or Fall by Beverly Chandler

The House of Morgan: An American Banking Dynasty and the Rise of Modern Finance by Ron Chernow

The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason

Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies by Tom Copeland, Tim Koller, and Jack Murrin

Security Analysis by Sidney Cottle

The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America by Professor Lawrence Cunningham
(The only book on Buffett endorsed by him. It's a good book to pick up after having read the last 20 years of letters to shareholders. He did a terrific job.)

How to Think Like Benjamin Graham and Invest Like Warren Buffett by Professor Lawrence Cunningham

Conversations from the Warren Buffet Symposium; Cardozo Law Review, Vol. 19; Numbers 1-2; Sept.-Nov. 1997. Edited by Lawrence A. Cunningham

Outsmarting the Smart Money: Understand How Markets Really Work and Win the Wealth Game by Lawrence A. Cunningham

Triumph of the Optimists: 101 Years of Global Investment Returns by Elroy Dimson, Paul Marsh, Mike Staunton

Finance Just in Time: Understanding the Key to Business and Investment Before It's Too Late by Hugo Dixon

Point and Figure Charting by Thomas J. Dorsey
(I'm not a chartist and this book didn't help me get excited about charting.)

Contrarian Investment Strategies : The Next Generation : Beat the Market by Going Against the Crowd by David N. Dreman

Contrarian investment strategy : the psychology of stock market success by David Dreman

Tomorrow's Gold: Asia's Age of Discovery by Marc Faber

Why Smart Executives Fail: And What You Can Learn from Their Mistakes by Sydney Finkelstein

Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits by Philip Fisher

Developing an Investment Philosophy by Philip Fisher

Conservative Investors Sleep Well by Philip A. Fisher

The Way to Wealth by Benjamin Franklin

Bulls Make Money, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get Slaughtered: Wall Street Truisms that Stand the Test of Time by Anthony M. Gallea

Fundamentals of Investing by Lawrence J. Gitman and Michael D. Joehnk

The Secret Code of the Superior Investor: How to Be a Long-Term Winner in a Short-Term World by James K. Glassman

Benjamin Graham: The Memoirs of the Dean of Wall Street by Benjamin Graham

The Intelligent Investor: A Book of Practical Counsel by Benjamin Graham
(Wonderful Book. There is a lot of terrific data in this book. Needs to be read slowly and carefully - and then re-read. Strongly recommended).

The Interpretation of Financial Statements by Benjamin Graham (1937 Edition)

Security Analysis by Benjamin Graham and David Dodd (1934 Edition)
(Make sure you read the 1934 edition. It is a terrific work and should be digested slowly).

Security Analysis: The Classic 1940 Edition by Benjamin Graham, David Dodd

Storage and Stability by Benjamin Graham

World Commodities and World Currency by Benjamin Graham (1944 Edition)

The Rediscovered Benjamin Graham : Selected Writings of the Wall Street Legend by Benjamin Graham, Janet Lowe (Compiler)

China's Stockmarket: A Guide to Its Progress, Players and Prospects (The Economist Series) by Stephen Green

You Can Be a Stock Market Genius (Even if you're not too smart!) by Joel Greenblatt

Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond by Bruce C.N. Greenwald

The Essential Buffett by Robert G. Hagstrom
(I recommend all of Hagstrom's books on Buffet. One should read them in sequence - "The Warren Buffett Way" followed by "The Warren Buffett Portfolio" followed by "Latticework" and finally "The Essential Buffett)".

Latticework by Robert G. Hagstrom

The Warren Buffett Portfolio by Robert G. Hagstrom

The Warren Buffett Way by Robert G. Hagstrom, Jr.
(Good first book on Buffett)

The Detective and The Investor: Uncovering Investment Techniques from the Legendary Sleuths by Robert G. Hagstrom

Beast on Wall Street by Robert A. Haugen

The Inefficient Stock Market by Robert A. Haugen

The New Finance by Robert A. Haugen

Business Masterminds: Warren Buffett by Robert Heller

Introduction to Financial Accounting (7th Edition) by Charles T. Horngren, Gary L. Sundem, John A. Elliott

Trendwatching: Don't be Fooled by the Next Investment Fad, Mania, or Bubble by Ron Insana

Soros: The Life and Times of a Messianic Billionaire by Michael T. Kaufman

Value Investing With the Masters: Revealing Interviews With 20 Market-Beating Managers Who Have Stood the Test of Time by Kirk Kazanjian

Annals of Investing: Steve Forbes vs. Warren Buffett by Robert V. Keeley

Of Permanent Value: The Story of Warren Buffett by Andrew Kilpatrick (1994 Edition)
(Andy is a regular attendee of the Berkshire Annual Meeting in Omaha. Nice guy.)

The Warren Buffett: The Good Guy of Wall Street by Andrew Kilpatrick

Of Permanent Value: The Story of Warren Buffett by Andrew Kilpatrick (1998 Edition)

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
(This is a quick read and a good read as an eye-opener. I don't agree to with some of his stuff, but have no argument with what he calls an asset and a liability).

Retire Young, Retire Rich by Robert T. Kiyosaki, Sharon L. Lechter(Contributor)

Margin of Safety : Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor by Seth A. Klarman

The Wealth and Poverty of Nations by David S. Landes
(Good book with some great insights)

Bulls, Bears and Brains: Investing with the Best and Brightest of the Financial Internet by Adam Leitzes, Joshua Solan

Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis

Benjamin Graham on Value Investing: Lessons from the Dean of Wall Street by Janet Lowe

The Man Who Beats the S&P: Investing with Bill Miller by Janet Lowe

Damn Right! Behind the Scenes With Berkshire Hathaway Billionare Charlie Munger by Janet Lowe
(Great book. Highly Recommended)

Value Investing Made Easy by Janet Lowe

Warren Buffett Speaks - Wit and Wisdom of the World's Greatest Investor by Janet Lowe

When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management by Roger Lowenstein

The Making of an American Capitalist by Roger Lowenstein
(Another good Buffett Biography. Lowenstein also is a writer for The Wall Street Journal and Smart Money and on the board of the Sequoia Fund)

Beating the Street by Peter Lynch
(I strongly recommend all of Peter Lynch's book esp. this one and One up on Wall Street.)

One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch

A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel

An Essay on the Principle of Population by Thomas Malthus

The Warren Buffett CEO: Secrets from the Berkshire Hathaway Managers by Robert P. Miles

Standard and Poor's Stock and Bond Guide 2002 by Alan J. Miller(Introduction)

Standard & Poor's MidCap 400 Guide 2002 by Standard, Poor's(Editor), Alan J. Miller(Introduction)

Standard & Poor's 500 Guide 2002 by Standard, Poor's (Editor), Alan J. Miller (Introduction)

Beyond Wall Street: The Art of Investing by S.L. Mintz

John Neff on Investing by John Neff with S.L. Mintz

A Higher Standard of Leadership: Lessons from the life of Gandhi by Keshavan Nair

Investing in Hedge Funds by Joseph G. Nicholas

The Education of a Speculator by Victor Niederhoffer

Practical Speculation by Victor Niederhoffer, Laurel Kenner

Standard & Poor's SmallCap 600 Guide 2002 by James M. Nevler(Introduction)

The Real Warren Buffett: Managing Capital, Leading People by James O'Loughlin

A Mathematician Plays the Stock Market by John Allen Paulos

The New Investment Superstars by Lois Peltz

Forbes Greatest Investing Stories by Richard Phalon

Financial Times Mastering Investment: Your Single-Source Guide to Becoming a Master of Investment by James Pickford

Pratt's Guide to Venture Capital Sources 1999 (23rd Edition) by Stanley E. Pratt (Editor)

Markets Measure : An Illustrated History of America Told Through the Dow Jones Industrial Average by John A. Prestbo(Editor)

Expectations Investing: Reading Stock Prices for Better Returns by Alfred Rappaport, Michael J. Mauboussin

The Work of Nations: Preparing Ourselves for 21St-Century Capitalism by Robert B. Reich, Jonathan B. Segal (Editor)

Thoughts of Chairman Buffett: Thirty Years of Unconventional Wisdom from the Sage of Omaha compiled by Siimon Reynolds

Adventure Capitalist: The Ultimate Road Trip by Jim Rogers

Investment Biker: On the Road With Jim Rogers by Jim Rogers

Selling Your Story to Wall Street by Michael A. Rosenbaum

Do Business with People You Can Trust: Balancing Profits and Principles by L.J. Rittenhouse

Lessons from the Legends of Wall Street : How Warren Buffett, Benjamin Graham, Phil Fisher, T. Rowe Price, and John Templeton Can Help You Grow Rich by Nikki Ross, CFP

The Davis Dynasty: 50 Years of Successful Investing on Wall Street by John Rothchild

In an Uncertain World: Tough Choices from Wall Street to Washington by Robert E. Rubin, Jacob Weisberg

Market Wizards : Interviews With Top Traders by Jack D. Schwager

The New Market Wizards : Conversations With America's Top Traders by Jack D. Schwager

Where Are The Customers' Yachts? by Fred Schwed, Jr.

Invest Like the Best by James O'Shaughnessey

What Works on Wall Street by James O'Shaughnessey
(Strongly Recommended. Great data.)

Irrational Exuberance by Robert J. Shiller

Buffet Step-By-Step: An Investor's Workbook - Learn to Analyze and Apply the Techniques of the Master Investor by Richard Simmons

Soros: The Life, Times and Trading Secrets of the World's Greatest Investor by Robert Slater
(I don't believe Soros is the World's greatest investor. He's good, but Buffett is in a different league and has a much simpler and more effective model.)

The Art of Profitability by Adrian Slywotzky, et al

The Money Game by Adam Smith

The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith

Supermoney by Adam Smith

Investing in Greater China by Irene So

Standard & Poor's Stock & Bond Guide, 2003 Edition by Standard & Poor's

Standard & Poor's 500 Guide: 2003 Edition by Standard & Poor's

Standard & Poor's Smallcap 600 Guide: 2003 Edition by Standard & Poor's

Standard & Poor's Midcap 400 Guide: 2003 Edition by Standard & Poor's

Essential Stock Picking Strategies: What Works on Wall Street by Daniel A. Strachman

Getting Started in Hedge Funds by Daniel A. Strachman

Pioneering Portfolio Management: An Unconventional Approach to Institutional Investment by David F. Swensen

Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in the Markets and in Life by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Investment Gurus by Peter J. Tanous

The Company You Keep by Patrick Terrion

My Vast Fortune : The Money Adventures of a Quixotic Capitalist by Andrew Tobias

The Midas Touch by John Train

The Money Masters by John Train

How to Pick Stocks Like Warren Buffet: Profiting from the Bargain Hunting Strategies of the World's Greatest Value Investor by Timothy P. Vick

Wall Street on Sale by Timothy P. Vick

Searching for Alpha: The Quest for Exceptional Investment Performance by Ben Warwick

The Aggressive Conservative Investor by Martin L. Whitman

Value Investing : A Balanced Approach by Martin J. Whitman

The Theory of Investment Value by John Burr Williams

Maestro: Greenspan's FED and the American Boom by Bob Woodward

Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Letters to Shareholders 1977-1995. Two Bound books.
(Free to shareholderse of BRK.A or BRK.B with proof of shareholding; non-shareholders can send a check for $15 to Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. 3555 Farnam Street, Suite 1440, Omaha, NE 68131.)

Books

These are only a few that I've read recently:

Hot Commodities : How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market by Jim Rogers

Investment Visionaries: Lessons in Creating Wealth from the World's Greatest by Peter J. Tanous & James V. Kimsey

Financial Fine Print: Uncovering a Company's True Value by Michelle Leder

The Vulture Investors by Hilary Rosenberg

Predicting the Markets of Tomorrow : A Contrarian Investment Strategy for the Next Twenty Years by James P. O'Shaughnessy

Reinventing the Bazaar: A Natural History of Markets by John McMillan

The Little Book of Value Investing by Christopher H. Browne

Competition Demystified : A Radically Simplified Approach to Business Strategy by Bruce Greenwald, Judd Kahn

Trade Like Warren Buffett by James Altucher

A Modern Approach to Graham and Dodd Investing by Thomas P. Au

Security Analysis by Benjamin Graham

Missed Fortune : Dispel the Money Myth-Conceptions--Isn't It Time You Became Wealthy? by Douglas R.Andrew

The Future for Investors : Why the Tried and the True Triumph Over the Bold and the New by Jeremy J. Siegel

F.I.A.S.C.O.: The Inside Story of a Wall Street Trader by Frank Partnoy

The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: Eradicating Poverty Through Profits by C.K. Prahalad

Winning the Loser's Game by Charles D. Ellis

How Buffett Does It by James Pardoe

Warren Buffett : An Illustrated Biography of the World's Most Successful Investor by Ayano Morio

Unconventional Success : A Fundamental Approach to Personal Investment by David F. Swensen

Origins of the Crash: The Great Bubble and Its Undoing by Roger Lowenstein

Great Crash 1929 by John Kenneth

One Billion Customers : Lessons from the Front Lines of Doing Business in China by James McGregor

The Origins of Value: The Financial Innovations that Created Modern Capital Markets by William Goetzmann

What Goes Up : The Uncensored History of Modern Wall Street as Told by the Bankers, Brokers, CEOs, and Scoundrels Who Made It Happen by Eric J. Weiner

Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy by Matthew R. Simmons

Fischer Black and the Revolutionary Idea of Finance by Perry Mehrling

The Battle for the Soul of Capitalism by John C. Bogle

The Little Book That Beats the Market by Joel Greenblatt & Andrew Tobias

Investment Fables : Exposing the Myths of "Can't Miss" Investment Strategies by Aswath Damodaran

The Rich and How They Got That Way: How the Wealthiest People of All Time--from Genghis Khan to Bill Gates--Made Their Fortunes by Cynthia Crossen

Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron by Bethany McLean, Peter Elkind

J. K. Lasser's Pick Stocks Like Warren Buffett by Warren Boroson

Classics: An Investor's Anthology by Charles D. Ellis & James R. Vertin

Minding Mr. Market: Ten Years on Wall Street With Grant's Interest Rate Observer by James Grant

The Trouble With Prosperity: A Contrarian's Tale of Boom, Bust, and Speculation by James Grant

From Butler to Buffett: The Story Behind the Buffalo News by Murray B. Light, Warren E. Buffett

Warren Buffett Wealth : Principles and Practical Methods Used by the World's Greatest Investor by Robert P. Miles

Warren Buffett: : Master of the Market by Jay Steele

The Misbehavior of Markets by Benoit Mandelbrot & Richard Hudson

Wall Street People: True Stories of Today's Masters and Moguls by Charles D. Ellis

Julian Robertson : A Tiger in the Land of Bulls and Bears by Daniel A.Strachman

The Warren Buffett Way, Second Edition by Robert G. Hagstrom

The New Financial Capitalists: Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and the Creation of Corporate Value by George P. Baker and George David Smith

Creating Shareholder Value: A Guide for Managers and Investors by Alfred Rappaport

The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life by Alice Schroeder

A Short History of Financial Euphoria by John Kenneth

The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book On Value Investing by Benjamin Graham, Jason Zweig

Capital: The Story of Long-Term Investment Excellence by Charles D. Ellis

Running Money : Hedge Fund Honchos, Monster Marke12:12 PM 2/12/2008ts and My Hunt for the Big Score by Andy Kessler

The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money (Great Minds Series) by John Maynard Keynes

Trade Like a Hedge Fund : 20 Successful Uncorrelated Strategies & amp by James Altucher

Bull's Eye Investing: Targeting Real Returns in a Smoke and Mirrors Market by John Mauldin

Aimr Performance Presentation Stand 1997 by Aimr

Distressed Securities : Analyzing and Evaluating Market Potential and Investment Risk by Edward I. Altman

Investing in Junk Bonds: Inside the High Yield Debt Market by Edward I. Altman, Scott A. Nammacher

Valuegrowth Investing by Glen Arnold

High Yield Bonds: Market Structure, Portfolio Management, and Credit Risk Modeling by Theodore M. Barnhill, William F. Maxwell, Mark R. Shenkman

Baruch: My Own Story by Bernard Baruch

Wealthy and Wise: Secrets About Money by Neuberger Berman, Heidi L. Steiger

Analysis of Financial Statements by Leopold A. Bernstein, John J. Wild

Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk by Peter L. Bernstein

Corporate Bankruptcy : Economic and Legal Perspectives by Jagdeep S. Bhandari(Editor), Lawrence A. Weiss(Editor), Barry E. Adler(Editor)

Common Sense on Mutual Funds by John C. Bogle
(Wonderful Book. I highly recommend all of John Bogle's writings to any investor. John's views are strongly grounded with both theory and extensive empirical data.)

John Bogle on Investing by John C. Bogle

Bankruptcy Investing : How to Profit from Distressed Companies by Ben Branch, Hugh Ray

Investment Titans: Investment Insights from the Minds that Move Wall Street by Jonathan Burton

Buffettology by Mary Buffett and David Clark
(Buffett does not endorse this book. It misses out on the extensive Special Situations/Workouts that Buffett continues to invest in. It's a good book to get started on Buffett's investment approach, but not one to use as the ultimate guide).

A Money Mind at Ninety by Philip Carret

The Art of Speculation by Philip Carret

Investing with the Hedge Fund Giants: Profits Whether Markets Rise or Fall by Beverly Chandler

The House of Morgan: An American Banking Dynasty and the Rise of Modern Finance by Ron Chernow

The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason

Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies by Tom Copeland, Tim Koller, and Jack Murrin

Security Analysis by Sidney Cottle

The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America by Professor Lawrence Cunningham
(The only book on Buffett endorsed by him. It's a good book to pick up after having read the last 20 years of letters to shareholders. He did a terrific job.)

How to Think Like Benjamin Graham and Invest Like Warren Buffett by Professor Lawrence Cunningham

Conversations from the Warren Buffet Symposium; Cardozo Law Review, Vol. 19; Numbers 1-2; Sept.-Nov. 1997. Edited by Lawrence A. Cunningham

Outsmarting the Smart Money: Understand How Markets Really Work and Win the Wealth Game by Lawrence A. Cunningham

Triumph of the Optimists: 101 Years of Global Investment Returns by Elroy Dimson, Paul Marsh, Mike Staunton

Finance Just in Time: Understanding the Key to Business and Investment Before It's Too Late by Hugo Dixon

Point and Figure Charting by Thomas J. Dorsey
(I'm not a chartist and this book didn't help me get excited about charting.)

Contrarian Investment Strategies : The Next Generation : Beat the Market by Going Against the Crowd by David N. Dreman

Contrarian investment strategy : the psychology of stock market success by David Dreman

Tomorrow's Gold: Asia's Age of Discovery by Marc Faber

Why Smart Executives Fail: And What You Can Learn from Their Mistakes by Sydney Finkelstein

Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits by Philip Fisher

Developing an Investment Philosophy by Philip Fisher

Conservative Investors Sleep Well by Philip A. Fisher

The Way to Wealth by Benjamin Franklin

Bulls Make Money, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get Slaughtered: Wall Street Truisms that Stand the Test of Time by Anthony M. Gallea

Fundamentals of Investing by Lawrence J. Gitman and Michael D. Joehnk

The Secret Code of the Superior Investor: How to Be a Long-Term Winner in a Short-Term World by James K. Glassman

Benjamin Graham: The Memoirs of the Dean of Wall Street by Benjamin Graham

The Intelligent Investor: A Book of Practical Counsel by Benjamin Graham
(Wonderful Book. There is a lot of terrific data in this book. Needs to be read slowly and carefully - and then re-read. Strongly recommended).

The Interpretation of Financial Statements by Benjamin Graham (1937 Edition)

Security Analysis by Benjamin Graham and David Dodd (1934 Edition)
(Make sure you read the 1934 edition. It is a terrific work and should be digested slowly).

Security Analysis: The Classic 1940 Edition by Benjamin Graham, David Dodd

Storage and Stability by Benjamin Graham

World Commodities and World Currency by Benjamin Graham (1944 Edition)

The Rediscovered Benjamin Graham : Selected Writings of the Wall Street Legend by Benjamin Graham, Janet Lowe (Compiler)

China's Stockmarket: A Guide to Its Progress, Players and Prospects (The Economist Series) by Stephen Green

You Can Be a Stock Market Genius (Even if you're not too smart!) by Joel Greenblatt

Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond by Bruce C.N. Greenwald

The Essential Buffett by Robert G. Hagstrom
(I recommend all of Hagstrom's books on Buffet. One should read them in sequence - "The Warren Buffett Way" followed by "The Warren Buffett Portfolio" followed by "Latticework" and finally "The Essential Buffett)".

Latticework by Robert G. Hagstrom

The Warren Buffett Portfolio by Robert G. Hagstrom

The Warren Buffett Way by Robert G. Hagstrom, Jr.
(Good first book on Buffett)

The Detective and The Investor: Uncovering Investment Techniques from the Legendary Sleuths by Robert G. Hagstrom

Beast on Wall Street by Robert A. Haugen

The Inefficient Stock Market by Robert A. Haugen

The New Finance by Robert A. Haugen

Business Masterminds: Warren Buffett by Robert Heller

Introduction to Financial Accounting (7th Edition) by Charles T. Horngren, Gary L. Sundem, John A. Elliott

Trendwatching: Don't be Fooled by the Next Investment Fad, Mania, or Bubble by Ron Insana

Soros: The Life and Times of a Messianic Billionaire by Michael T. Kaufman

Value Investing With the Masters: Revealing Interviews With 20 Market-Beating Managers Who Have Stood the Test of Time by Kirk Kazanjian

Annals of Investing: Steve Forbes vs. Warren Buffett by Robert V. Keeley

Of Permanent Value: The Story of Warren Buffett by Andrew Kilpatrick (1994 Edition)
(Andy is a regular attendee of the Berkshire Annual Meeting in Omaha. Nice guy.)

The Warren Buffett: The Good Guy of Wall Street by Andrew Kilpatrick

Of Permanent Value: The Story of Warren Buffett by Andrew Kilpatrick (1998 Edition)

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
(This is a quick read and a good read as an eye-opener. I don't agree to with some of his stuff, but have no argument with what he calls an asset and a liability).

Retire Young, Retire Rich by Robert T. Kiyosaki, Sharon L. Lechter(Contributor)

Margin of Safety : Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor by Seth A. Klarman

The Wealth and Poverty of Nations by David S. Landes
(Good book with some great insights)

Bulls, Bears and Brains: Investing with the Best and Brightest of the Financial Internet by Adam Leitzes, Joshua Solan

Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis

Benjamin Graham on Value Investing: Lessons from the Dean of Wall Street by Janet Lowe

The Man Who Beats the S&P: Investing with Bill Miller by Janet Lowe

Damn Right! Behind the Scenes With Berkshire Hathaway Billionare Charlie Munger by Janet Lowe
(Great book. Highly Recommended)

Value Investing Made Easy by Janet Lowe

Warren Buffett Speaks - Wit and Wisdom of the World's Greatest Investor by Janet Lowe

When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management by Roger Lowenstein

The Making of an American Capitalist by Roger Lowenstein
(Another good Buffett Biography. Lowenstein also is a writer for The Wall Street Journal and Smart Money and on the board of the Sequoia Fund)

Beating the Street by Peter Lynch
(I strongly recommend all of Peter Lynch's book esp. this one and One up on Wall Street.)

One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch

A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel

An Essay on the Principle of Population by Thomas Malthus

The Warren Buffett CEO: Secrets from the Berkshire Hathaway Managers by Robert P. Miles

Standard and Poor's Stock and Bond Guide 2002 by Alan J. Miller(Introduction)

Standard & Poor's MidCap 400 Guide 2002 by Standard, Poor's(Editor), Alan J. Miller(Introduction)

Standard & Poor's 500 Guide 2002 by Standard, Poor's (Editor), Alan J. Miller (Introduction)

Beyond Wall Street: The Art of Investing by S.L. Mintz

John Neff on Investing by John Neff with S.L. Mintz

A Higher Standard of Leadership: Lessons from the life of Gandhi by Keshavan Nair

Investing in Hedge Funds by Joseph G. Nicholas

The Education of a Speculator by Victor Niederhoffer

Practical Speculation by Victor Niederhoffer, Laurel Kenner

Standard & Poor's SmallCap 600 Guide 2002 by James M. Nevler(Introduction)

The Real Warren Buffett: Managing Capital, Leading People by James O'Loughlin

A Mathematician Plays the Stock Market by John Allen Paulos

The New Investment Superstars by Lois Peltz

Forbes Greatest Investing Stories by Richard Phalon

Financial Times Mastering Investment: Your Single-Source Guide to Becoming a Master of Investment by James Pickford

Pratt's Guide to Venture Capital Sources 1999 (23rd Edition) by Stanley E. Pratt (Editor)

Markets Measure : An Illustrated History of America Told Through the Dow Jones Industrial Average by John A. Prestbo(Editor)

Expectations Investing: Reading Stock Prices for Better Returns by Alfred Rappaport, Michael J. Mauboussin

The Work of Nations: Preparing Ourselves for 21St-Century Capitalism by Robert B. Reich, Jonathan B. Segal (Editor)

Thoughts of Chairman Buffett: Thirty Years of Unconventional Wisdom from the Sage of Omaha compiled by Siimon Reynolds

Adventure Capitalist: The Ultimate Road Trip by Jim Rogers

Investment Biker: On the Road With Jim Rogers by Jim Rogers

Selling Your Story to Wall Street by Michael A. Rosenbaum

Do Business with People You Can Trust: Balancing Profits and Principles by L.J. Rittenhouse

Lessons from the Legends of Wall Street : How Warren Buffett, Benjamin Graham, Phil Fisher, T. Rowe Price, and John Templeton Can Help You Grow Rich by Nikki Ross, CFP

The Davis Dynasty: 50 Years of Successful Investing on Wall Street by John Rothchild

In an Uncertain World: Tough Choices from Wall Street to Washington by Robert E. Rubin, Jacob Weisberg

Market Wizards : Interviews With Top Traders by Jack D. Schwager

The New Market Wizards : Conversations With America's Top Traders by Jack D. Schwager

Where Are The Customers' Yachts? by Fred Schwed, Jr.

Invest Like the Best by James O'Shaughnessey

What Works on Wall Street by James O'Shaughnessey
(Strongly Recommended. Great data.)

Irrational Exuberance by Robert J. Shiller

Buffet Step-By-Step: An Investor's Workbook - Learn to Analyze and Apply the Techniques of the Master Investor by Richard Simmons

Soros: The Life, Times and Trading Secrets of the World's Greatest Investor by Robert Slater
(I don't believe Soros is the World's greatest investor. He's good, but Buffett is in a different league and has a much simpler and more effective model.)

The Art of Profitability by Adrian Slywotzky, et al

The Money Game by Adam Smith

The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith

Supermoney by Adam Smith

Investing in Greater China by Irene So

Standard & Poor's Stock & Bond Guide, 2003 Edition by Standard & Poor's

Standard & Poor's 500 Guide: 2003 Edition by Standard & Poor's

Standard & Poor's Smallcap 600 Guide: 2003 Edition by Standard & Poor's

Standard & Poor's Midcap 400 Guide: 2003 Edition by Standard & Poor's

Essential Stock Picking Strategies: What Works on Wall Street by Daniel A. Strachman

Getting Started in Hedge Funds by Daniel A. Strachman

Pioneering Portfolio Management: An Unconventional Approach to Institutional Investment by David F. Swensen

Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in the Markets and in Life by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Investment Gurus by Peter J. Tanous

The Company You Keep by Patrick Terrion

My Vast Fortune : The Money Adventures of a Quixotic Capitalist by Andrew Tobias

The Midas Touch by John Train

The Money Masters by John Train

How to Pick Stocks Like Warren Buffet: Profiting from the Bargain Hunting Strategies of the World's Greatest Value Investor by Timothy P. Vick

Wall Street on Sale by Timothy P. Vick

Searching for Alpha: The Quest for Exceptional Investment Performance by Ben Warwick

The Aggressive Conservative Investor by Martin L. Whitman

Value Investing : A Balanced Approach by Martin J. Whitman

The Theory of Investment Value by John Burr Williams

Maestro: Greenspan's FED and the American Boom by Bob Woodward

Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Letters to Shareholders 1977-1995. Two Bound books.
(Free to shareholderse of BRK.A or BRK.B with proof of shareholding; non-shareholders can send a check for $15 to Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. 3555 Farnam Street, Suite 1440, Omaha, NE 68131.)

Well clearly some are better than others, but just a few hours of researching the books on amazon will give you a better feel. Also, you can immediately eliminate some of the books if you have a preference for fixed income, derivatives, equity, etc. My goal was to gain an inter-connected view of the markets so I thought it made sense to read about everything.

Well clearly some are better than others, but just a few hours of researching the books on amazon will give you a better feel. Also, you can immediately eliminate some of the books if you have a preference for fixed income, derivatives, equity, etc. My goal was to gain an inter-connected view of the markets so I thought it made sense to read about everything.

How many candles you burning Tiger?

Having said that fundamental analysis is pretty useless if you want to trade the markets. Technical analysis is far superior imo.

....I was oce reading a fat FA book by the poolside in between slumbers once and my wife shouted....Are you just going to read this book all day long...or are you going to jump in..!!

...So it was Tiger all along....who is responsible for CO over North Pole....with all his reading...!

Yes I'm sure half the Amazon forest must be in his library. :cheesy:

Tiger on a serious note as research would you say your trading is better for all your reading?

Sounds a silly question but if you could perhaps summarise three sentences on what you gained from your extensive reading it would be educational for me. :eek: