Volume figures

Splitlink

Legendary member
Would you guys subscribe to the idea that volume is fiddled in such a way as to deceive the retail traders?

Price is price. Difficult to manipulate that for long. If it is jacked up or down it is more likely to be seen as a spike.

However, who provides these volume figures and how true are they? Can they be proved to be false? Or should I say, can they be proved to false in time to save a trader from entering a trade, because EOD figures will be hindsight for many. I suppose that EOD figures are more likely to be correct, but I am not sure about that, either.

Split

Morning Split

Well not going to get into this one :)

Lads footy match in a momento

noted incorrect volume bars at significant levels myself over a period and gone back to just price

If anybody is worried regards this I would suggest you take a screen shot then re-log back on and compare

The amount the bars were out on mine was enough for me to bin the platform ( monthly invoice with it :) )

could be anything really, download available then download complete from history ????

no IT bod myself , but will be interesting to see if anyone else as noticed anything a miss

Andy

You're up nice and early, Andy!

I was thinking along more general terms, not a specific dirty dealing platform, although I am sure there are several of those about.

Maybe "fiddle" is not the right word. Let's just say "accurate". Who decides on the accuracy of these figures and why do they trust the sources?

For instance. Sierra gets a download from IB, which shows up on my screen. I'm sure that IB is straight but where do they get their figures from---from their own trades or from a central source. If the latter, what comprises this source? Does the source consist of all interested parties, or is there someone out their who does not contribute and who, sometimes, pushes a high amount of stock through without registering the volume?

Split

Last edited:
I suppose you get what you pay for, volume from yahoo would be a bit different than reuters for example..

But, if you pay for it, how do you know that it is accurate?. I know that this is all a matter of trust, but I am not all that trusting about data these days. If volume figures can be manipulated, they will be.

I have always been of the opinion that volume is the only indicator of future price direction that is worth considering. That I don't, fully, understand it is another story but if it is likely to be inaccurate what use is it?

So the question is are volume figures to be trusted, or not?

Split