What are the best sites offering free charts and/or technical analysis tools?

Sharky

Staff
Please add your replies to this thread.

You can add new answers, post links to threads/articles/websites of interest or copy/paste posts from existing threads. Our new Content Team will moderate this thread, merging your replies into hopefully a definitive answer to this question.

Edited by timsk Oct' 2010
This thread was originally in the Trading FAQ sub-forum. It's now linked in post #3 of the catchall FAQ Can You Recommend a Data Feed, Charting Software & Broker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote.com for the charting of all the above categories intraday (delayed)

Google, Yahoo, and OnVista

For trading charts, day traders need to have their own charting software (such as SierraChart, TradeStation, NinjaTrader, etc.), but for non trading charts, there are a few web sites that offer quite decent charts.

For basic charts in English, either Google Finance, or Yahoo Finance would work, and for basic charts in German, OnVista is a good choice.

Adam Milton

Last edited:
Hi all,

Apology in advance if I don't make sense!!!

I have couple of questions:

1. Do I have to use sharescope (ref: Investment software - ShareScope - award winning trading software) for online trading?
2. I have been advised that the basic things/tools I need to stock trade are,
- an account with any stock broker (online account for online trading. I subscribed to share.com)
- subscription to a good money magazine (I subscribed moneyweek)
- and a good charting software (have no idea, will appreciate any advice???)

Where does sharescope fit in all these? Please comment about the advice I have given.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Ashraf

Technical stock picker

I use this free site:
http://www.marketinout.com

It has stocks and Forex screening tools, technical analyzer, charts, reports for investors, etc.
Example you can find all stocks that correspond to some technical criteria, e.g. trending stocks, touched support level, met divergences condition, oversold, etc..
Or for a specific share you can find all technical signals that have currently happened.

Hey ashraf, seems like you're very new and a bit confused. What market do you want to trade? The US? If so then check out thinkorswim.com. Great broker, great charting software, and the trading platform and software is all free. I would highly recommend paper trading and studying before trading real money. I would also say that the money magazine isn't going to help you very much.

Ask alot of questions and get involved in the forum.

I've been paper trading for more than a year now. Hey, it's not so easy. From what I've been told, a hard working trader will need a year and a half to two years of experience before they become succesful traders. 92% of all traders who open their first online trading account fail, and most will burn out three accounts before becoming succesful. These are the odds we're up against.

I don't mean that to sound negative but trading education equals trading profits.

Basically, most of the on-line brokers provide free charting tools. However, after you check some of them you will understand why traders prefer other charting services.

As a rule, free charts are delayed. This is the Exchanges' regulation. The Exchange licence fee is quite big for a company to give real-time charts at no charge to everybody.

Delayed charts should be "ok" to start learning and actually you do not need real-time charts if you are longer-term trader and trade daily charts only. All of the references above are good for that. Check all of them and use free trial whenever you can - make sure free trial will not run into paid subscription.

Personally, I use marketvolume.com charts as in addition to the popular indicators they have row of unique volume and volatility based indicators. Plus, if you want to analyse volume on intraday level you need modulated volume (to eliminate volume spikes at the market open and close) and they have patent on that.

As a rule, free charts are delayed. This is the Exchanges' regulation. The Exchange licence fee is quite big for a company to give real-time charts at no charge to everybody.
This is partly true.Why? Because as I said in the previous post there is a site that provides FREE real-time charts and quotes with no fee or subscription or even login. They also have Level 2 Quotes for free. :idea:So how do they provide this free service without a charge at all? I think this "Exchange license" thing is a big fairy tale that they say to people to get their money. If someone is honest and wants to inform people, well he just acts on it...