Excel 2007 freezing

grantx

I'm running Excel 2007 with Windows XP Pro on AMD 64 x2 dual core 4800, 2 GB ram.

Occasionally I get the "Not responding" message. I'm probably pushing performance with my sheets but I would like to know where the bottleneck may be.

Please refer to the attached Word.doc for a shot of the Task Manager at the time of "Not responding" (scroll up the page). The only aspect which is recognisable is cpu usage - the rest is meaningless. Maybe the clue lies in these unknowns.

The Task manager shows cpu usage at around 50%. Is near 100% not possible?

Excel is set to run dual core.

Grant.

Attachments

• Excel Not Responding, Task Manager picture.doc
    28 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:
The Not Responding condition is probably caused by the workbook being too busy at something to let the operating system know what is going on. For instance, if you have any VBA code running, and you have a tight loop that is being repeatedly processed, the workbook will hog the resources. In loops, I usually put the Doevents function - this forces Excel to speak to the OS and let something else have a turn.

Also, if you are doing thousands of recalculations on the sheet - that may cause a temporary freeze.

Although I use the 2007 version, I do not have a dual processor. Have you googled foe Excel dual processor problems? It seems like a recipe for disaster if you have 2 processors trying to share the otherwise monolithic code. It SHOULD work fine, but hey, we are talking Microsoft here.

That's all I can think of for now.

it's dual-core, not dual-processor. Apps that aren't written to take advantage of the dual core shouldn't have a problem, most of the work will just be done by the one core which could explain the CPU usage you're seeing.

I've a Core2Duo with both Vista and XP, and both Excel 03 and Excel 07 run with no probs.

Swanndro,

"if you are doing thousands of recalculations on the sheet - that may cause a temporary freeze. "

I reckon, and not surprised, that will be the problem. I suppose it was just a question of pushing the sheet to the limit.

Rossored,

I'm running a dual core processor, and as I write this reply Excel 2007 keeps flashing (intermittent vba) on the status bar "Calculating (2 processors) ".

No more replies necessary.

Grant.

Hi, I'm having this problem also "Calculating (2 processors) ".

The workbook isn´t that big at all (370kB on 6 sheets)

The computer I have is a Dell Precision PWS 380
2,00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

I am wondering if I can turn the dual core calculation off?

Torfi