A question about opening an account with interactive broker

jjoll

Hello everyone,

I just want to open an account with interactive brokers. I know the minimum balanced required to open an account is $3000 ( I am under 25). I currently have $2000 to invest but I can borrow another $1000 for a short period of time. I was just wondering if I can open an account with $3000 (my $2000 + borrowed $1000) then after a week withdraw $1000 to pay back my loan and keep my account balance at $2000? I am planning to open a margin account that is why I am planning to keep the $2000.
Can I open a account in IB with $2000 using this trick?

thanks

How about if you lose > $1000 after one week? It's impossible, but you should roll the dice by contacting the CS for your issue. Maybe they give you an exception.

Hello everyone,

I just want to open an account with interactive brokers. I know the minimum balanced required to open an account is $3000 ( I am under 25). I currently have $2000 to invest but I can borrow another $1000 for a short period of time. I was just wondering if I can open an account with $3000 (my $2000 + borrowed $1000) then after a week withdraw $1000 to pay back my loan and keep my account balance at $2000? I am planning to open a margin account that is why I am planning to keep the $2000.
Can I open a account in IB with $2000 using this trick?

thanks

There is no minimum required balance by IB.

There is no minimum required balance by IB.

I do not know what country you live in but there is definitely a minimum balance in the US.

It is $3,000 for persons 25 & under and $10,000 for everyone else. To answer your question, you can open the account with the required minimum and then withdraw the $1,000. I do not think you will be able to do that in only week though. Withdrawing funds from an initially opened account takes a bit longer.

Screen_Shot_2016_01_09_at_9_16_03_AM.png

How about if you lose > $1000 after one week? It's impossible, but you should roll the dice by contacting the CS for your issue. Maybe they give you an exception.

I guess more important is to conclude the consequences in the event of loss, and it would be more appropriate to ask their customer support for further help.