Linear Regression Line – Where Does it Start?

oliverwest

I wanted to verify my calculation for a linier regression line so I compared it with the line in QuoteTracker. The end point always comes out the same but the start point always comes out different.

I thought it should start from the linear regression value at the start period of the current line, e.g for a 20 period line the end be calculated from the last 20 minute block and the start from the 20 minutes before that but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

So, where should the line start?

Also, could you just confirm I’ve done the calculation right?

x3vo7o.jpg

The above calculation should match the middle line here:

x3vols.gif

As you can see the end point appears to come out righ but the start point is $0.03 from where it should be. So is the caculation for the end point correct, and how should the start point be calculated :?:

Thanks for your help.

I think the line in question should begin at the value of a+b for the regression covering the period 13:32-13:51.
Not quite sure why you're regressing the 20-point period before the period you're interested in.

Thanks a lot for the help. I’m a little slow and couldn’t work out where to start the line from :) As you say it’s just y=a+bx but since it’s the first period x is 1 so it’s just y=a+b. I did actually think that but I started counting from the first period at 0 instead of 1 so it obviously gave the wrong result. After that I went on to trying other stuff like seeing if the start point was the end point of the previous 20 period. All sorted now though.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Hi

I'm searching information about how this works. Complet from the begin. Does anyone has infomation?