Why do my speakers and headphones crackle?

JTrader

Hi

my speakers and headphones connect via minijacks to my motherboard (that has on-board sound). I have good quality speakers and headphones, so why do they both crackle when plugged in?

Is this a fault of the motherboard?

Is there a remedy?

Thanks

jtrader.

It could be a number of things including poor earthing and, as you have already said, motherboard faults.

Paul

do you have a soundcard or are the speakers plugging directly onto the board?

crackling is usually sign of a poor connection, either in the jack socket or between the socket itself and whatever its connected to, if motherboard the socket itself may be loose due to a fault or wear and tear. If its a soundcard, again the socket could be coming loose from the board, or the card may not be plugged into the mobo properly. try giving the soundcard a firm shove home

Thanks

the sound is onboard, and so part of the motherboard. I'm pretty sure its the motherboard connection at fault, as the speakers and headphone are good quality.....

Cheers.

a cheap workaround might be to get a budget soundcard and plug into that, save you replacing the whole mobo

Thanks Arb,

nice idea. Knowing my look with this type of thing, I'll probably buy a sound card that produces the exact same crackles as the motherboard!

It may also be the case that the PC's internal wiring might be reponsible for the crackling. Having looked on ebay, a USB KEY SIZE AUDIO SOUND CARD ADAPTOR, might be the easiest solution to this problem.

Thanks

jtrader.

Last edited:
I would probably think the fault lies with either the jack input or head/speaker lead cable,
rather than sound card or mobo

I can see that this is an old thread but here is an idea for those that see it, why don't you try using the headphones on other devices such as a radio before you determine that the problem "must" lie in the sound card. use your brains ppl