Anyone know anything about Marcus De Maria?

PattyB said:
He's offering seminars at www.investment-mastery.com

Does anyone know about him or his seminars?

Thanks

Pat

Hi Patty,

Have heard very good things about the seminar he does. It's aimed at novices and starts from the very basics in an easily explained way that teaches just what you need to know (no information overload) in order to start position trading (length of trades is a few days to weeks). They lead you through everything from how to set up your broking account and then paper trade before putting money into your account. Follow up with conference calls etc to provide support.

Ideal for those starting out and who only want to invest a few hours a week. Think the target is to get a return of around 3-5% a month. From what I hear it's all very ethical, done in small groups and a far cry from any of the money spinning gigs like Darren Winters.

Hope this helps.

The old but very predictable forum classic;

'have you heard' from a first time poster, and then

'yes, the seminars/nooks/courses are very good etc' from another new poster.

My advice, this guy is just doing it like the rest of the gang, winters, doji darrent, manning etc. He's selling dreams and his real business is not the stockmarket or trading (that's just a vehicle), no his real business is marketing to the unsophisticated.

In a different life or time the business plan would be exactly the same but this time it would be property, web ventures, antiques, whatever the hot sector of the day is (as long as people can see that other people are getting rich and making lots of money).

How else do you explain that the business models and techniques of the guys selling these stockmarket courses or property investment courses are all the same right down to the smallest detail.

Stay away from these expensive type courses but if you do go and you find you're not rich as promised over the next few years have the decency to only blame yourself.

See what you're saying Anley and my only intention was to give an honest opinion - I have heard good things about the course they run. Everyone has to start somewhere and getting a load of info from a seminar, even if you can't use it or it's confusing, does get you going or spark your interest enough to learn more and do your own study. Aside from any seminar you need to do your own study and learning etc. Generally a lot of it although this can depend upon your approach.

If you don't have any background in finance then a lot of it can go straight over your head. Everything begins somewhere and who's to say what is the right path to follow.

How did you get started?

Have you heard about this that or the other? Psychological grooming at it's....worst or best? The Sales of dreams? Would you ever trust a salesman? I'm sure life is one big con. What are you sure about?

Every thing about trading is on the net. I have not been on any seminars over the years. and it have not stopped me from making money.

I don't mean to be rude Badtrader, although my user name may suggest this, but, everything about trading is in your head. RUDEBOY.

What i have said may sound really boring. But i have got to reduce myself to this level. Why? Because this is the nature of the thread.

RUDEBOY

How rud. you made me BAD. But I forgive you. This set up a mental conflict. Negative action,losing,creates a rush of felling of exaltation that our minds scramble, Just maybe a lot of traders like us, is that we just like rush,thril and excitement, to the point that we pay for the experience, with margin calls

Only till then will you arrive at some sort of psychological understanding about you and the markets.

Hello Badtrader. Mmmm.......where should i start? You seem like you have got the markets down to a tee. You are a natural, a wonder of the present day. NASA would be below you. I can only wonder where you are comming from? Have a nice day. Wonderment. RUDE.

Yes, everyone does need to start somewhere. So why not start here for free and save the £2,000 plus no doubt a further £2,000 for another 'super-pro trading master course' after the first 'master course' (or whatever gimmicky name they call it), then another £2,000 for the 'Wealth Creater' course, and then another £2,000 for the 'secret wealth creator' course (the course that the pros DON'T want you to go on!!) and so on.

With most of these marketeers the poor clients never seem to get what they thought they were buying. There's always another juicy carrot at the end of each seminar, and each seminar is going to lead you 'almost' to the promised land. It never ends until the marketeer has all your money, and you have nothing left but useless files full of what is basically repackaged free information. These will doubt end up in one of two places, collecting dust on your bookshelf or appearing on Ebay for a max 5% of what you paid.

Sorry to be harsh everyone but for 95% of people it's true......

I never really understood this site until today. I have been a fool. I may even be a bit slow? Top laugh! Nice one. RUDEBOY.

Mmmmm, just had a look at the website.

Anyone who thinks you can learn/teach (novices) how to make money constantly over time in options with an hour or so a month, or in a 1-2 day course is someone to be avoided at ALL costs.

Options are NOT for novices, in fact they shouldn't even be considered by 95% of people who are well experienced in the markets.

Marcus de Maria's courses

Hi Anley
Hear what you say but to generalise and assume everyone is a charlatan is unfair although in many cases you would be correct.
Marcus does several courses on different topics but he does not backend sell them like most of the others do, you have to ask about them if of interest and certainly no undue pressure or false promises are being made.
He also does courses for teenagers to teach them money skills that they should be taught at school but rarely ( if ever ) are.
I recently attended his wealth workout seminar weekend at a cost around £500 but that allowed me to take a family member or associate along too. I took my eldest daughter along and although reticent she thoroughly enjoyed it and found it really useful. The course was well structured and covered basic wealth generation and debt management/ avoidance advice along with suggestions for getting started in trading stockmarket ( where he talks about returns of 2% to 5% a month which is realistic unlike some others). He teaches low risk scenarios not higher risk spread bet and CFD routes. Also covered were using IFAs, Internet businesses , Land and Property investing in UK and overseas. A good part of the course was devoted to wealth building phsycology and strategies too.
Sure the information may be available elsewhere but my time is valuable and I am happy to pay a realistic figure to get good information , presented clearly with follow up meetings, conference calls, and mentoring available should it be required, most of this is available free or for a small monthly fee. Personally I would happily recommend these courses as value for money, well excecuted and presented.
PS I have absolutely no link or interest in Marcus and his courses other than being a happy customer. :cool:

Marcus Investment Mastery Course

Went to free seminar on Marcus de Maria yesterday and it was a pleasant change to many others. No hype or ra ra just sensible advice
In the light of recent critics of Secker and Winters etc you may be interested to know its a 2 day couse max 20 participants all with computer screen access to show exactly how to trade in a demo platform format. Options and covered calls on US market with 4 simple strategies aimed at a consistent 3% to 5% a month. Price is about £1500 but this includes a lot of after care too.
He is an active investor and writer and has had several articles pulished in The Business Newspaper, Shares Mag etc
Again let me stress I have no financial or other interest just posting to ensure correct up to date information is on this post.

I know two people who did this course some time ago. They reported it was a total waste of time and money. At that time the numbers attending were small - entirely due to the fact that he ran the thing from his living room. The strategies were very weak - like covered calls. There were a at least two presenters, and when my friends asked how these presenters got on with the strategies they (of course) replied........ Wait for it.........wait for it.....
They replied - that they didn't trade any of the strategies they had taught that day!!!

From my experience, and that of my friends I am very sceptical that you will learn anything of value. Books are likely to be much better than this becuase a good trading book is written by highly skilled and well known successful trader - not just people who are comfortable on a stage.

By the way, if you don't fancy getting rich via learning to trade with Marcus, you can always get rich quick with his brother who will sell you a bunch of investment properties.....

talkingcents said:
He is an active investor and writer and has had several articles pulished in The Business Newspaper, Shares Mag etc

TalkingCents could you enlighten us to some of the articles - maybe even get his permission and post them here. I just checked on Google and could not find anything about Marcus other than self publicity.

anley said:
The old but very predictable forum classic;

'have you heard' from a first time poster, and then
'yes, the seminars/nooks/courses are very good etc' from another new poster.

Yes i remember this guy, i had attended an options cource by Atul Sharma and they use to run a monthly forum run by a lady named Hazel called Investors mastermind alliance,. I use attend this forum regularly and Marcus use to be attend as well, and i also use to frequently bump into him attending various seminars!

Well nice to know that he has become a "trading Guru", we were both in the same boat, and he has sailed past me!

Trading Seminars

I am not a "trading guru" but can turn a reasonable profit and have only been to one seminar (free) hosted by finnspreads. To be honest it taught me nothing that I hadn't already taught myself from a few books.

Without fear of sounding old fashioned the old adage of " if it sounds to good to be true it often is" certainly applies to a lot of these seminars. I honestly believe that if attending a seminar for £1500 could make you millions everyone would be driving a Ferrari, and the guys running the seminars why would they bother hosting them at all if they had a market beating system. Remember these guys are looking to make money not be charitable.

You could train a dog to follow a trading system, but the key to all these systems is the human psychology element. If you don't understand a system, understand how and why technical indicators (which I am assuming these systems use) work and you don't understand the basic fundamentals of trading and I don't believe you will grasp this making notes in a two day seminar then any system will be flawed, not by the system but by the user.

I see these adverts all the time, study for 3 hours and make £££ on the stock market...It really as I am sure you all know isn't that easy.

I personally get a real kick out of developing my own trading systems and learning from my own mistakes and I believe that is part of the fun of trading.

Don't get me wrong if Paul Tudor Jones or George Soros decided they wanted to teach me about the futures or fx market of course I would listen. However, when was the last time you saw either of the two mentioned above selling a trading seminar for £1500 for a couple of days.

I agree with another poster who quite aptly stated that if you go and you don't make money, don't blame the guy who ran the seminar.....a fool and their money.