Caution re Software Activation failure

yetisurfer

Last December (2004) I changed my computer which resulted in me having to request a new 'Activation Code' from a software company. (You know the sort of thing:- Software that is activated from a code which you have to apply for by supplying a serial number that the software generates when you install it, based on your computer specification).

After persistent efforts over the past 6 months, the company is still unable to provide a code. They have, during this period, ignored correspondence then claimed that the serial number generated during installation on my machine is incorrect (even when I pasted the whole activation screen into an email), provided a code that doesn't work and now they are again refusing to respond .

This does raise an interesting point. What if the supplier of software activated in this way retires, goes bust ..........?

Result - No working software.

I haven't an answer, but this experience has made me rather nervous about purchasing software that is activated using this type of process in future.

Yetisurfer