Is the fed speaking this week?

jacknapier

Is there like a trade calendar somewhere? I know because of this mess the fed is going to talk and mess up the market. And every time the fed or somebody else (like on 5/23 when I was short JPM and those a/holes in France and Italy started blabbing about some nonsense about saving the Euro and the market reversed briefly) talks I lose money because I'm not aware of when they are speaking. It's only after the fact when I read the headlines that I realize why my trade went bad.

I'm really looking for trading calendar similar to this: (link removed) but informs you of relevant events to the equities world.

Last edited by a moderator:
A calendar is only good for known events. You can then either trade them or avoid them. What you can't do is avoid breaking news stories or events, or unscheduled off the cuff remarks by bankers and analysts. That's why you should always trade sensibly with low leverage and stops so when these unplanned activities occur your account doesn't get steamrolled. The Greece fiasco has seen every politician, banker, and analyst weigh in at all different times of the day.

Peter

Is there like a trade calendar somewhere? I know because of this mess the fed is going to talk and mess up the market. And every time the fed or somebody else (like on 5/23 when I was short JPM and those a/holes in France and Italy started blabbing about some nonsense about saving the Euro and the market reversed briefly) talks I lose money because I'm not aware of when they are speaking. It's only after the fact when I read the headlines that I realize why my trade went bad.

Don't take this the wrong way, it's meant to be helpful... IF you had been on the right side of that JPM trade while someone was talking you wouldn't have posted this thread or wondered why you made some easy money. Think about that for a while.

Peter

I'm really looking for trading calendar similar to this: (link removed) but informs you of relevant events to the equities world.

Even if you are given a calendar, how will it help you ? Based on the scheduled announcements, can you predict what will happen in the market ? If it's that easy to predict, wouldn't the big boys bust your stops (or move the price against you sufficiently to force you to cover) and take your money since they know what you are going to do ? Let's see your prediction for the following, ideally afterwards with a trading statement showing the profits:

Jun 5, 15:00 US ISM Non-Manufacturing
Jun 6, 12:45 EU ECB Interest rate
Jun 6, 13:00 EU ECB press conference following interest rate announcement

Last edited:
Don't take this the wrong way, it's meant to be helpful... IF you had been on the right side of that JPM trade while someone was talking you wouldn't have posted this thread or wondered why you made some easy money. Think about that for a while.

Peter

Well, I was in at 33.75 with a stop of 34, so it didn't exactly kill my account. I was just up half a point when it suddenly reversed. I didn't want to move my stop or re-enter because of that stupid 3/5 trading rule.

Follow Ben Bernanke on twitter:

thebenbernanke

Thanks, but I don't use twitter. I hate twitter. I added him at stocktwits, but he doesn't seem to be very active there. Although, that might just be someone posing as him ...

Even if you are given a calendar, how will it help you ? Based on the scheduled announcements, can you predict what will happen in the market ?

I won't be able to predict, but I can avoid trading during that time to see how the market reacts.

Thanks, I subscribed to that thread.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I don't use twitter. I hate twitter. I added him at stocktwits, but he doesn't seem to be very active there. Although, that might just be someone posing as him ...

It's not. If it were he would probably have a few million followers like myself and NewTrader telling him each and every day just what a bell-end he is.

I'm going to punt that he leaves things 'as is'.

Either way Gold is going to make a substantial move I would think.

i love the bernank twitter, when the market had a bad day the other week it tweeted, "god created me for days like this" quality.