Help with "page cannot be displayed" prompt

Martin r

Hi folks,

For some reason just lately I get "the page cannot be displayed" on parts of some websites.
I wonder if any one has any ideas what to do to rectify this. I have attached a screen print of Wanadoo's home page showing the problem

Attachments

• The page cannot be displayed.doc
    156 KB · Views: 437
The points on the screenshot that you've provided are both banners for Norwich Union.

Could be that your security settings on IE are too high, and are blocking this kind of content (which can occasionally contain active scripts, etc). Try reducing the settings if you're bothered about it and want to see the ads.

Incidentally, using Mozilla I can see the ads fine, and my security is set reasonably high - but nothing shows up in IE - not even a "page cannot be displayed" prompt.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're dying to see banners ads ;)

I get this all the time because I use the HOSTS file to block adverts. Sometimes whole pages refuse to load because the website is so intrinsically linked to the advert providers!

If you really want the ads showing, have a look in your browsers Security > Restricted sites list and delete any ad companies that you suspect are used by the website, like Doubleclick. If ads and tracking cookies don't concern you, just clear the whole list.

You might check your HOSTS file also to see if these ads are listed there also. Do a search for HOSTS and open the file in Notepad, edit it, and resave but not as a .txt file.