Historical and Implied Volatility Data

Mistermishka

Hi everyone,

I am attemting to test the predictive power of volatility from the evidence of some futures markets.
Trying to find sources of Historical and Implied Volatilities data (for interest rates, currency, energy, metals, equity indices) for futures options going back 8-10 years.. and have been unsuccessful so far :confused:
Bloomberg terminal in my uni does not store this type of data (or does it??)
Any ideas please?

Apologies if the question is not appropriate for this forum.

Many thanks

Hard to do, generally speaking... There's some stuff available in Bloomberg, for certain assets, but not for others.

Hard to do, generally speaking... There's some stuff available in Bloomberg, for certain assets, but not for others.

Thank you Martinghoul.
Will try again with BB, hopefully find at least for some assets..
'hard to do' - did you mean the data retrieving or the idea of testing volatility in general?
Although it's all hard for me, tough tough topic I chose :eek:

Thanks anyway

Thank you Martinghoul.
Will try again with BB, hopefully find at least for some assets..
'hard to do' - did you mean the data retrieving or the idea of testing volatility in general?
Although it's all hard for me, tough tough topic I chose :eek:

Thanks anyway
Hard to find good, consistent data for a variety of assets, I mean. One of the issues is the sheer number of possible combinations, i.e. expiry, tenor, moneyness, etc. You should be able to find stuff for currencies, rates and equity indices relatively easily (maybe some blended measures like VIX work?), but I am not at all sure about the other stuff.

Last edited:
Hard to find good, consistent data for a variety of assets, I mean. One of the issues is the sheer number of possible combinations, i.e. expiry, tenor, moneyness, etc. You should be able to find stuff for currencies, rates and equity indices relatively easily (maybe some blended measures VIX work?), but I am not at all sure about the other stuff.

Maybe I could do with those you suggest are the easiest to find. I was already advised to try using VIX index, will try and do that.

Thank you

Did you find your data?

I have tick data for all the leading futures complexes. In total more than 3500 contracts. The data is very clean and reliable and comes from multiple sources.

Let me know if i can be of some help. Send me a private message.

Last edited: