COT Reports

Pipsaholic

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone finds checking commitment of traders reports effective in their trading decisions? I understand that they are none for the FX market, built for futures but do have an effect on the FX market in some way better for position traders? how about day traders?

Thanks.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone finds checking commitment of traders reports effective in their trading decisions? I understand that they are none for the FX market, built for futures but do have an effect on the FX market in some way better for position traders? how about day traders?

Thanks.

You have a wide range of interests Pips.

You were recently asking about Loz (Lolz) Lawn's ready made forex scam Las Vegas system. Now COT?

This is a huge subject that requires a lot of study, but one thing I can promise - whatever happens, you'll find it much more useful than Lulz Lawn's ridiculous, pathetic, risible scam system.

I suspect google will be of more use, there are a lot of articles floating about on how to use it.

More like an endless stream of questions.

Peter

COT reports "can potentially " be used to identify extreme trading ranges where non- commercials are either net short or long of a currency. Where there is a ratio of around 3:1 or greater it "may" indicate a potential turning point.

How's that for absolute clarity ....

Mick

COT reports "can potentially " be used to identify extreme trading ranges where non- commercials are either net short or long of a currency. Where there is a ratio of around 3:1 or greater it "may" indicate a potential turning point.

How's that for absolute clarity ....

Mick

Position traders derive the most value/benefit out of the COT report..do you agree? For retail investors concentrating on trading off lower time frames they may be better employed looking at sentiment indicators such as Dukascopy etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
COT is for long term approach. It is useful information indeed. Commercials are the reason futures markets were created. Extreme readings on its charts usually signals that the end of a trend is coming but you really have to look at the price action to confirm it and then take the trade.

Study larry williams on this.

Position traders derive the most value/benefit out of the COT report..do you agree? For retail investors concentrating on trading off lower time frames they may be better employed looking at sentiment indicators such as Dukascopy etc. now produce..

The COT Report is often viewed as a contrarian indicator (for example if most of the non commercials are net long who else can they buy from?). I'm pretty sure it can be used by retail traders providing that they:

Have nerves of steel
Large enough account balance
Able to be comfortable using large stops

Mick

The COT Report is often viewed as a contrarian indicator (for example if most of the non commercials are net long who else can they buy from?). I'm pretty sure it can be used by retail traders providing that they:

Have nerves of steel
Large enough account balance
Able to be comfortable using large stops

Mick

Apologies, I didn't alter my post correctily, meant to say "produced by Dukascopy" etc..

I think you're agreeing that the report is only really useful for position traders..

Apologies, I didn't alter my post correctily, meant to say "produced by Dukascopy" etc..

I think you're agreeing that the report is only really useful for position traders..

Could only be used by position traders- but that's just my humble opinion.

Mick

Opinions should be considered as onions in this Industry.

I talk all sorts of crap of *what I think* on this forum but really it does not matter or help me in any case.

One has a better chance of earning money in markets forming his or her own opinion. There are people that can make excellent use of COT reports and make $$$ while others might find it crap.

Test the system and then form your own opinion. If it works for you use it, if not then look for something else.

Opinions should be considered as onions in this Industry.

I talk all sorts of crap of *what I think* on this forum but really it does not matter or help me in any case.

One has a better chance of earning money in markets forming his or her own opinion. There are people that can make excellent use of COT reports and make $$$ while others might find it crap.

Test the system and then form your own opinion. If it works for you use it, if not then look for something else.

Couldn't agree more.

Mick

Thanks guys great replies.

You have a wide range of interests Pips.

You were recently asking about Loz (Lolz) Lawn's ready made forex scam Las Vegas system. Now COT?

This is a huge subject that requires a lot of study, but one thing I can promise - whatever happens, you'll find it much more useful than Lulz Lawn's ridiculous, pathetic, risible scam system.

I suspect google will be of more use, there are a lot of articles floating about on how to use it.

It's a discussion forum with many topics isn't it? Just my opinion about Loz learned a lot from him everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

More like an endless stream of questions.

Peter

Is it a sin to ask questions? I thought this was a forum encouraging asking questions?

Is it a sin to ask questions? I thought this was a forum encouraging asking questions?

Nothing wrong with asking questions. You have started 37 threads in a month, all of them asking a question, about half are pointless. So, tell us what have you learned?

Peter

Test the system and then form your own opinion. If it works for you use it, if not then look for something else

And what "system" would you recommend using the COT report...?

There is a method of trading it. Watch Larry Williams videos or read his books. He has a book written on it.

Why? Not asking for Larry's opinion, asking for yours...in your own time..:)

Nothing wrong with asking questions. You have started 37 threads in a month, all of them asking a question, about half are pointless. So, tell us what have you learned?

Peter

Am I supposed to ask non trading questions? What's your Websters definition of pointless? What have I learned I don't need a teacher. I have learned a heck of a lot. Geez why cant some people just answer constructively or stay quiet if they don't know is beyond belief on this forum.

Am I supposed to ask non trading questions? What's your Websters definition of pointless? What have I learned I don't need a teacher. I have learned a heck of a lot. Geez why cant some people just answer constructively or stay quiet if they don't know is beyond belief on this forum.

Pete's been around a long time and has made a ton of posts - some of them are even useful :D. For longer-standing members it can get a bit tedious seeing the same questions asked over and over again. It's better to search before asking.

The other thing is that it's probably better for you as well. Because the same things keep coming round, experienced people who can actually help you won't bother to reply, so you'll find better information in older threads.

So ask away, but do a little research before you do. :)

Pointless:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gen...938-number-financial-markets-instruments.html (# of Markets?)

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/general-trading-chat/129266-average-daily-range-nowadays.html (daily range)

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/general-trading-chat/127252-bush-n-bin-laddin-trading-pals.html (Bush & Bin Laden trading oil together)

There's more but you get the idea.

Peter