Trading 'Lingo'

Doomberg

Established member
When i 1st got in to trading i remember being completely baffled by some of the acronyms and abbreviations that i came across on the forums, in fact i still see some things that i don't understand and never asked about like T1 and T2 or BE... so thought a thread would be handy where some of the Trading Lingo is broken down, I'll start with some basic ones ha

SP = Share Price
SL = Stop Loss
TP = Target Price / Take Profit

BE or B/E to me is Break Even. Like when you take profit on half your position and move the remainder stop to B/E

From Traderpedia:

Tick - The smallest price movement possible in a security.

Handle - In pricing terms, the number to the left of the decimal point.

Those two are used quite a bit.

Ok thought i'd bring this back as there are a few that i don't quite understand still, like

144 tick chart (is this a minute chart? i don't have this with my broker)

$ tick chart (again not sure what this is)

OBV (have no idea)

89 exponential moving average? and how EMA's work in general, i seem to be completely confused by them... for example the if you had them switched on your charts, and had the 20 day the 50 day and the 150 day EMA when is the data from? Is it from 20, 50 and 150 days ago? If so then how does that work because the markets are different each day... and if you have your Macd turned on, how can it crossing the MA9 be possible indication if its something from 9 days ago? I think i have the total wrong end of the stick here?

Thanks in advance

Thanks glyder, funny thing is... i know how to implement them in to my training techniques but just don't understand how stuff from 20 / 100 days ago can indicate something when 100 days ago the share price in reality could of been 10% of what it stands at today

Thanks glyder, funny thing is... i know how to implement them in to my training techniques but just don't understand how stuff from 20 / 100 days ago can indicate something when 100 days ago the share price in reality could of been 10% of what it stands at today

"You've got to know how indicators work."

Indicators can be like pandoras box.
Perhaps you should consider putting them aside for now and focus on understanding price flow first.