Automatic Trading

Marek_$

Hi,

I've written my own system in c# for trading stocks on the US markets. It currently takes data from Telechart and gives me buy signals.

I would like to tie this up to a brokerage account so that I can make trades automatically. Does anyone know of a way of doing this?

Thanks,

Marek.

I am a retired software engineer and have written plenty of strategies in several different languages.

However, if I were inclined to develop and automate a new one, I would not write it is the traditional way. I would use Prodigio, a ThinkOrSwim application, to create my strategy in the GUI interface they use. It has backtesting capability, signal notification capability or total automation if that's your thing. As for myself, I know my record of producing bug free code, so I always like my brain and finger between the signal and the trade execution.

Since you have already done it the hard way, redoing it with the GUI should be quite easy.

Hello Howard,

thanks for your reply. I'm not certain, but the system I have implemented wouldn't be so easy to re-implement with, for example, Think or Swim as I have developed my own indicators within my system.

However, my system automatically produces a text file with buy signals, stop loss points and profit targets, so all I really need to do is find a trading platform that can be made to read my daily text files.

Do you know of anything that could be made to read my test files and make the trades?

For interest, this is a typical output from my system:

=============================================
Ticker: BID

Buy To Open: 230
Target1 Sell To Close: 115 shares
Target2 Sell To Close: 58 shares
Target3 Sell To Close: 57 shares

Limit: 42.67
Buy To Open: 42.57

Target1: 45.12
Target2: 48.47
Target3: 50.54
StopLoss (initial): 39.99
=============================================

Thanks,

Marek.

No I don't.

However some brokers have an API that is FIX (Financial EXchange) compliant. I did an internet search several months back so my info is dated. If you can find one and they will give you a FIX account, then there are some FIX implementations freely available in SourceForge.

ThinkOrSwim used to offer this capability to retail traders but have suspended these accounts until the merger with TD Ameritrade is complete. Furthermore, my source told me that I shouldn't waste any programming effort as they were likely to cancel the program when the smoke cleared. I am bummed.

Think or Swim are not even an option for me as they currently don't allow UK residents to open an account - since the merger.

Its really strange. Anyone have any ideas why this is?

Marek.

IB API reads excel files. If you output that way you can use IB and it will cost you much less.

IB API reads excel files. If you output that way you can use IB and it will cost you much less.

Hello Bashatrader,

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Sounds like the way to go.

Do you know if you can set up a paper trading account for testing prior to funding an account.

Marek.

Hi Charlton,

this looks like its exactly what I need. Have you used it yourself?

Could be a nice little project for The Christmas holidays!

Thanks,

Marek.

I have an account with IB but I do not use the API. Instead I use Tradestation and its own language Easylanguage. The new version 9.0 is an Object Oriented Language based on C#. However I know that many people use the API to IB. For example some people do not use Tradestation 9 but use a standalone version called Tradestation 2000i and interface to/from IB.

In your situation I don't think Tradestation would be the appropriate tool because you have already developed your system in C# and just need a broker with which you can interface. TS is more appropriate for those who want to code in Easylanguage and also the platform fees are $200 per month if you do not trade in sufficient volume.

IB will probably work out cheaper for you. By the way you might also like to consider using their datafeed instead of Telechart. There's lots of info and manuals on their site if you look around and they also have a London office.

Is there anyone here that can create an Ea with my trading techniques. Stop loss and take profit must not be visible to the broker. It should include risk management, trade management and security. If you can kindly email me and lets discuss.