View New Posts

oatman

Hi Sharky,

I just opened T2W and had to leave for 20 mins. When I came back and clicked on New Posts, it was as if I had just cleared it. I hadn't been to the site since about 11AM.
Thanks

Strange, can't offer any explanation for that. Hopefully working normally again now?

This has happenned to me several times.
Although at the moment I'm mainly in Lurk Mode I would hate to miss anything and wading through all the boards is just not possible.
On another forum there is a facility to "mark all posts read", which means I can hop in and out all day without missing any gossip, remembering where I am that day and mark them read at the end of the day

axthree said:
On another forum there is a facility to "mark all posts read", which means I can hop in and out all day without missing any gossip, remembering where I am that day and mark them read at the end of the day
Hi Axyhree

You can here to. The option is under Quick Links which should appear at the top of this thread.

HTH :)

Whoops, not exactly what I had in mind.
If I go to "View all new posts", once I leave the site all those posts are treated as read. whether I have actually read them or not.
It would be nice to look at a couple, leave the site and then go back again without the new posts being only those made between my visits. Am I making sense? if so it will be a first :LOL:
They have a very good system on the flyer forums, i.e. new posts are cleared manually when the reader determines, not automatically at the end of each visit.

Sharky, I'm still getting this problem where the site is left open and posts I have not read are not showing. For instance I opened to http://www.trade2win.com/boards/index.php?s= this morning and then left it for about an hour while I was doing other things online. When I went to View New Posts there were 4 new posts the latest being 07.13. I can see posts before this. This must be about the time I opened the page.
Thanks

I think the way the "View New Posts" system works is this;

T2W determines the last time you visited the site. Clicking on "View New Posts" will list all the new posts since your last visit and 'now'. The period 'now' stays valid for about an half an hour.

One way around this, as a suggestion, would be if each user was given an option whereby they can search for all new posts since a date we specify up to another date that we also specify (which can by default be today). Time can also be included in this.

I have also mentioned this point before but nothing has been done about it so far. Perhaps a new thread on the subject may shake things up. Personally, I don't think it can be too difficult to code as a "View New Posts" search facility is already operative.

I think dsmodi is right in his analysis of the way the system currently works. The current search facility lets you search for threads/posts x number of days ago. But searching for a particular time and from/to isn't currently implemented. As dsmodi says, it shouldn't be too difficult to code - and if members think it's useful then I'm happy to allocate some resources to it.

I would also find it VERY useful as I'm constantly coming and going.
I've always found the "New Posts" a little temperamental. :confused:

S

Situation still not changed. I'm missing some ruffled feathers and slagging off, not to mention gossip.
In addition, not for the first time, whilst going through new posts I selected page two only to be informed, "No Matches Found".
OOOHHHHHH!!!, I could snap a matchstick!!!!!

Then go to the top of the page, and under Discussion on the red tabs, drop down and select View Latest Threads.

That will give you all the threads, chronologically listed, for the last three or so days. You'll be able to see any ones you've missed.