Which Should I trade - Stocks, Futures or Forex etc.?

This is a discussion on Which Should I trade - Stocks, Futures or Forex etc.? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Matthew512 For me Forex fits perfect. As it's the biggest Market with the biggest liquidity! And you ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:24pm   #17

Joined Jan 2006
Re: Which Should I trade - Stocks, Futures or Forex etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew512 View Post
For me Forex fits perfect. As it's the biggest Market with the biggest liquidity! And you are able to use leverage. MT4 is a simple trading station, you should give it a try
Yes, Forex is the biggest market with high liquidity and Spot Forex is the preferred playing field of the deluded. NO; don't give MT4 a try. It was developed by Russian programmers with the express purpose of allowing market makers to cheat their clients.

If you want to trade, then trade in a market with a regulated exchange. The commodity futures are as good as any but, after 25 years of trading, I've seen nothing to beat physical ownership of equities. Leverage can be an asset but, it can, also turn a small liability into a catastrophic loss.
alan5616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:32pm   #18
Joined Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan5616 View Post
Yes, Forex is the biggest market with high liquidity and Spot Forex is the preferred playing field of the deluded. NO; don't give MT4 a try. It was developed by Russian programmers with the express purpose of allowing market makers to cheat their clients.
he can try it for charting purposes, at the least.....
FringFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:09pm   #19

6 Posts
Joined Sep 2012

Depends on a few things. Are you going to be a Technical trader only or are you adopting another style? this is key to what you should trade. Also what is your goal and timeline?
jmcglade is offline Spread Betting Company   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:42pm   #20
Joined Aug 2013
If I’m completely honest I’m not that much of an expert on Futures or Forex, I would personally go for Stocks. I find them far easier to understand and far more straight forward than either of the other two. When trading stocks, you are trading shares of companies that cost anywhere from a few pounds to hundreds of pounds. There is a fairly limited amount of stock available, and you only have to really be bothered about the company’s ability to turn over a profit. When you are trading Forex (currencies) you have to bear in mind that a country’s currency can and will fluctuate, this makes the whole thing far more complex than only having to consider whether a company is going to make much money in that particular quarter.
Obviously it is entirely up to the individual’s preference, if you are a bit more experienced then maybe Forex or Futures are for you but for amateurs like me I’d stick with Stocks!
yellowfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:06pm   #21
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfloyd View Post
. . .There is a fairly limited amount of stock available, and you only have to really be bothered about the company’s ability to turn over a profit. When you are trading Forex (currencies) you have to bear in mind that a country’s currency can and will fluctuate, this makes the whole thing far more complex than only having to consider whether a company is going to make much money in that particular quarter. . .
Hi yellowfloyd,
Reading between the lines of your post, the inference is that if you think a company will make a profit over the next quarter, go long the stock and, if you think it's going to make a loss, then you either step aside or short the stock. Is this correct - did you really mean to infer that?
Tim..
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:45pm   #22
Joined Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Hi yellowfloyd,
Reading between the lines of your post, the inference is that if you think a company will make a profit over the next quarter, go long the stock and, if you think it's going to make a loss, then you either step aside or short the stock. Is this correct - did you really mean to infer that?
Tim..
Hi Tim,

Basically, yes. I think it’s all about the underlying company rather than price. I believe what I’m buying/selling is tangible.

The FX markets are too quick for me – I need to feel more comfortable with my trading before I embark on that!
yellowfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:15pm   #23
Joined Aug 2013
Currencies are driven by long-term macro-economic forces and therefore trend.
Stocks prices and driven by speculators speculating and therefore revert to their means frequently.

Trading trends is hardest.
MRDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:42pm   #24

9 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Good question - and the most probably useful already was counted by T2W Bots's post #2.

Most are comparing wrong market details. If I'm reading

- forex trading is simple / easy
- you can use leverage and others ...

those are the largest misunderstandings of forex beginners. All free without costs, free trading, free teaching, leverage up to 1:400, not to forget free trading platform, i.e. MetaTrader 4 or 5, those are the well-known marketing arguments of your best friends (the brokers).

Most is wrong: you pay commission, if not, it's included in spread, you use leverage, do you know what it is? Leverage 1:400 means not only you trade 100.000 USD with 250 USD, if you win 25 PIPs, you double your margin, on the other side, if you lose 25 PIPs, you lost 100%.

Forex Trading PROs

- the markets are open 24 hours 5 days, nonetheless there are different times to trade
Frankfurt/London, overlapping with New York means large volume and smooth executions,
Asian session (Singapore, Tokyo) means smaller volume concentrating on JPY and AUD crosses.

- trading fractions of a standard contract (lot) means excellent possibility of money management
even with small accounts.

- Forex trading still is a hype, if you know, how to manage it, you may benefit from this.

Forex Trading CONs

- nearly everyone tells AND shows you, how easy it is - it is not!

- some brokers making a lot of efforts to get you to a long trading-career,
because they earn and live from your commission. A lot of brokers play
other games to get your money faster than only via commissions.

- all is online for free, it's so much, you'll have a problem to select the right sources.

- if you start trading after all (building strategy, trading plan, money management,
using STEM (signal, trigger, exec, manage), you probably get a new knowledge
of your personal mind - it seems whispering you to act contrary to your plan.

Below the line, I think, trading currencies is a good market to put money on the table. If you're acting wrong, you'll lose money in each market, sometimes very slow, sometimes faster. And Forex is the largest and fastest market.

The simplest headline, but hardest to implement, is "Plan your trade and trade your plan". Copyright by I don't remember, you may hear this possibly before, but it's really true. In other words - getting a (forex) trader is starting as trainee. So practise, practise, practise and be disciplined, disciplined, discipleaned (did I mention discipline?).

What you have to invest is time, a lot of time. The environment (demo trading platform, strategies in forums (some working good) and helping seniors will help you as long as you don't think, that you get a quick-rich system by buying a trading-robot from the 'veteran trader, offering only 100 copies of his never losing system for only 99 USD and only the next 3 days'.
josch is offline   Reply With Quote