How Do I get a Job Trading?

This is a discussion on How Do I get a Job Trading? within the New to Trade2Win forums, part of the Reception category; I did accounting and finance and business management at university. I did **** in my 2nd year. My advice would ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:29pm   #9
Joined Jun 2008
I did accounting and finance and business management at university. I did **** in my 2nd year. My advice would be think long and hard about it. Looking back , a lot of the things I thought were dull and depressing would actually be pretty handy. - Also from what I recall there was a lot of crossover in finance, accounting and economics.

Also a good academic record I imagine is very important if you want to get anywhere in the city - trust me, I've had plenty of knockbacks despite straight A A-levels and a decent degree from a top ten uni.

If you're just in it for the money then i don't think you'll succeed, you need to have some passion for what you'd be doing.

Do you trade your own account?
porph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:07pm   #10
Joined Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0loMaN View Post
Im also keen to get into trading Im in my 2nd year of university doing accounting and finance and I want to drop out as im tired and depressed of studying. I don't think I've passed my 2nd year and I don't want to repeat the year again as I am hungry to get out in the real world and make some good money. Accounting and finance is not for me I've come to realise it is a well paid profession but is very boring and not enjoyable. If anything I made the mistake doing accounting and finance, and should have chosen business economics.
If your tired and depressed whilst you're at uni then you'll probably keel over and die when your on the trading floor!!
PualoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Directional
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:49pm   #11

6 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Hey porph. No as I said, due to my job I was on and off day trading, well spread betting really, so I never really got into it. Now that I'm free again I've just been revisting the basics and back to paper trading for a while. My university isn't a top target university but it is in the Russell Group and I study Economics and did various financial modules which really made me interested in finance (wish I had studied that instead).

Like I said, I want to become a trader because I enjoy it, not for the money although that of course would most definitely be a bonus! If I could, I would trade my own account and maybe get some others interested to invest some capital in me!!! =D (realistic?!) I enjoy trading and after working in a Big Four I can pretty much read and (prepare if I wanted to - with lots of mistakes!!!) a b/s or p&l of a company, however I'm more interested in the technical side of it as opposed to the fundamentals. Coming from an Economics background I would say I had a solid understanding of fundamental analysis (I'm on an average of 80% so well on course for a 1sts), but it's really the technical analysis that I enjoy most - the understanding and psychology of the market.

At the moment I would say I know enough not to fluke a good trade, but not enough to understand a bad one! Haha.

BTW you said you're training for a CIMA and work 9-5?! Haha, what firm is that with?!?! I was working alongside ACA trainees doing the same roles and it was anything BUT 9-5!!! It was more 8-8 some days!!! Lol.
fourheadedmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:34pm   #12

2 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
I don't trade my own account but I have read a litle about it and it requires quite a bit of capital which I sadly haven't got. I mean its not pressure im finding hard its just that i've been studying for so long which is hard. I did 4 years in secondary school, 3 years in college, and just done 2 years in university making a total of 9 years of studying and i just wanna make money now.
H0loMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:55pm   #13
Joined Jun 2008
do you trade a demo account at least?

I think you need to read a lot (consume everything on this forum for a start).

You need either a top class education/set of results or a great track record in my opinion.
porph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:14pm   #14

Joined Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0loMaN View Post
its not pressure im finding hard its just that i've been studying for so long which is hard. I did 4 years in secondary school, 3 years in college, and just done 2 years in university making a total of 9 years of studying and i just wanna make money now.
you might want to think about getting a "proper job" as you could well end up studying the markets for years to come before you attain profitability, and it doesnt sound like you're ready to do that

Interesting articles about proprietary trading, including whether you should pay a prop firm for training (don't).
Directional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:01pm   #15
Joined Jul 2008
Try spreadbetting if you have little capital .....but dont get too over excited when you see things going your way !!!
And your best bet is to complete your degree regardless !! even if you have to repeat your year ........
BJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:20am   #16
Joined Nov 2007
For prop firms you just apply via their websites/ads. They will all be looking for the same qualities in general in terms of being called in for assessment, ibanks may take your p&l as a sign of motivation especially if it's good, commodity trading firms are almost exclusively dependent on fundamentals so they won't care.

Other than oil firms you can apply to places like Olam, Cargill and Dreyfuss to trade corn/sugar etc.
rawrschach is offline   Reply With Quote