Ftse Professional Scalping

This is a discussion on Ftse Professional Scalping within the Indices forums, part of the Markets category; Originally Posted by new_trader Sorry TD, but this makes no sense...easier? I say SB is non-professional and now you are ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 22, 2008, 9:53am   #33

Joined Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
Sorry TD, but this makes no sense...easier? I say SB is non-professional and now you are telling me it's actually easier? You will have to explain that one...
Some of the reasons I think spread betting is easier:

a) The firm will always take the other side of your trade meaning you never have any liquidity issues. If you've ever spread bet a product like Natural Gas and then actually seen a direct market ladder for it you'll realise how much of a blessing this is.

b) Yes SB firms platforms freeze from time to time. So do exchanges. I've been at my prop firm for just under five months and so far we've had the exchanges go down twice with traders trapped in positions.

c) SB firms keep fixed spreads. In the direct market, the participants have direct control of who will provide the best bid and offer. The spread on GBP/USD stays at 3 for me with E*Trade on non-farm payrolls. On my direct market, the spread can widen to five times this at least.

d) Direct market limits you to contract sizes. Spread betting does not. This means that if 2% of your account is £204 you can position your risk almost PERFECTLY.

e) SB firms make MISTAKES. This is rare in the direct market. I see SB firms regularly misquote prices and when they do I clean up

Increasing trader performance: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...rformance.html

Advice for getting a job in trading: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...b-trading.html
trader_dante is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 10:33am   #34

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader_dante View Post
Some of the reasons I think spread betting is easier:

a) The firm will always take the other side of your trade meaning you never have any liquidity issues. If you've ever spread bet a product like Natural Gas and then actually seen a direct market ladder for it you'll realise how much of a blessing this is.

How does someone who ONLY has a S/B account know this? Besides, commodity prices, like any other instrument are essentially driven by demand and supply.

Quote:
b) Yes SB firms platforms freeze from time to time. So do exchanges. I've been at my prop firm for just under five months and so far we've had the exchanges go down twice with traders trapped in positions.
Ok, so they both suffer the same risk of platform freezes. How does this make S/B easier to make money?

Quote:
c) SB firms keep fixed spreads. In the direct market, the participants have direct control of who will provide the best bid and offer. The spread on GBP/USD stays at 3 for me with E*Trade on non-farm payrolls. On my direct market, the spread can widen to five times this at least.
How does this make it "easier" for someone with only a S/B account make a winning trade?

Quote:
d) Direct market limits you to contract sizes. Spread betting does not. This means that if 2% of your account is £204 you can position your risk almost PERFECTLY.
This is irrelevant. Are you saying that someone with £200,000 will be worried about minimum contract size?

Quote:
e) SB firms make MISTAKES. This is rare in the direct market. I see SB firms regularly misquote prices and when they do I clean up
And again, how does this make it "easier" to make money for someone with only a S/B account?
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 11:33am   #35

Joined Apr 2008
"You have to be in control of the chart",

are you controlling the chart via the spread bet platform ?

what sort of size do i need to control the chart ?
prop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 1:28am   #36

Joined Nov 2006
Geez I thought this forum had some integrity. Whole lot of you jumped in like wolves without any evidence what so ever. George explained clearly he was looking for someone to trade his funds if there was later to be some catch I'm sure the interested party would have updated this thread. Really vicious and appalling
cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 3:26am   #37

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathcoole_exile View Post
sorry, if someone who IS retired doesn't have the time, how can anyone else who ISN'T retired have the time ?
I guess someone who works a late shift and trades (demo or live) during the day like I used to.
cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 3:54am   #38
Joined Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryten View Post
Geez I thought this forum had some integrity. Whole lot of you jumped in like wolves without any evidence what so ever. George explained clearly he was looking for someone to trade his funds if there was later to be some catch I'm sure the interested party would have updated this thread. Really vicious and appalling
vicious and appaling wh\t a crock o shyte someone whos talking about scalping via spread betting if an indicater points up is obviously going to get some stick if hes tsalking about teaching people
tightstops is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: new_trader
Old May 25, 2008, 10:39am   #39

Joined Nov 2005
tightstop

2George started this thread As you know I have offered to share with you my experience but you have chosen not to bother yet you continue to post these rude and ignorant comments.
THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR IGNORANCE AND RUDENESS.
If you have something that works for you then stay with it. I have no problem with the way you choose to trade. Also I know that there are many ways to make money trading. It is just that I have my own way that I consider to be one of the safest and most accurate.
I am a relatively patient person but if I see any further rude comments like this one and I will report you to the administrator.
George
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightstops View Post
vicious and appaling wh\t a crock o shyte someone whos talking about scalping via spread betting if an indicater points up is obviously going to get some stick if hes tsalking about teaching people
2George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 9:13pm   #40

Joined Apr 2008
go for gold george do your worst !
prop is offline   Reply With Quote