Ftse Professional Scalping

This is a discussion on Ftse Professional Scalping within the Indices forums, part of the Markets category; Originally Posted by new_trader People who know whats what's and what's not, don't use indicators....or Spread Betting. that is pure ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 21, 2008, 5:17pm   #25
Joined Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
People who know whats what's and what's not, don't use indicators....or Spread Betting.
that is pure bull**** and shows just how ignorant you really are 'new trader'
jayjay121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 5:41pm   #26

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay121 View Post
that is pure bull**** and shows just how ignorant you really are 'new trader'
A very convincing argument

Why don't you explain exactly how indicators work? Not how you trade with them, I'm not interested in your 'system', at all. Tell me what an indicator is and how it is derived. This should be interesting...
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 5:50pm   #27

Joined Nov 2005
2George started this thread Why do you need to know how an indicator works? Should it not be enough to know what it achieves?
George
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
A very convincing argument

Why don't you explain exactly how indicators work? Not how you trade with them, I'm not interested in your 'system', at all. Tell me what an indicator is and how it is derived. This should be interesting...
2George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 6:24pm   #28

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2George View Post
Why do you need to know how an indicator works? Should it not be enough to know what it achieves?
George
That's the sort of answer I expected from people use and defend indicators....call me ignorant!!
Old May 21, 2008, 7:44pm   #29

Joined Aug 2005
Just my 2 cents - don't want to get involved in a fight but I don't think it's really for anyone to say that something DOES or DOESN'T work and that includes indicators or spread betting for that matter.

I personally shun indicators and use pure price action and simple TA but I know some, albeit not many, people that use indicators as a main part of their strategy and are successful. One trader I know uses Woodies CCI which as far as I can tell puts the emphasis SOLELY on the indicator and can be traded without even looking at the candles.

Same goes with spread betting. It has its advantages and disadvantages. I have used both spread betting AND direct market and each has its place. Infact I actually believe that unless you are a scalper it is EASIER to make money spread betting than direct market.

Increasing trader performance: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...rformance.html

Advice for getting a job in trading: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...b-trading.html
trader_dante is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: rathcoole_exile , Hoggums
Old May 21, 2008, 10:13pm   #30
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Indicators can and do work and the likes of Grey1 has consistently proven this day in and day out posting live trades and P&L accounts daily on the Technical Trader forum. I also don't doubt that price action only can work as well.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 7:50am   #31

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader_dante View Post
Just my 2 cents - don't want to get involved in a fight but I don't think it's really for anyone to say that something DOES or DOESN'T work and that includes indicators or spread betting for that matter.

I personally shun indicators and use pure price action and simple TA but I know some, albeit not many, people that use indicators as a main part of their strategy and are successful. One trader I know uses Woodies CCI which as far as I can tell puts the emphasis SOLELY on the indicator and can be traded without even looking at the candles.
That's fair enough Trader Dante. But note that I didn't mention anywhere in my post about whether indicators "work" or not. I said people who know what's what and what's not don't use indicators. You can use a brick, the heel of a shoe, the blunt end of an axe, a metal pipe or any other heavy instrument to drive a nail into a piece of wood because they "work", but those who know what's what and what's not use a hammer.

I simply asked for someone to explain the mechanics of an indicator and nobody who uses them and professes that they work has been able to do that. They are the product of a software engineer’s idea of what people want they are not what real traders ask for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader_dante View Post
Same goes with spread betting. It has its advantages and disadvantages. I have used both spread betting AND direct market and each has its place. Infact I actually believe that unless you are a scalper it is EASIER to make money spread betting than direct market.
Sorry TD, but this makes no sense...easier? I say SB is non-professional and now you are telling me it's actually easier? You will have to explain that one...
Old May 22, 2008, 8:24am   #32

Joined Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2George View Post
I am retired and have not the time to give full time
sorry, if someone who IS retired doesn't have the time, how can anyone else who ISN'T retired have the time ?
rathcoole_exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: trader_dante