Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

This is a discussion on Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures?? within the Indices forums, part of the Markets category; Originally Posted by Dick Lexic well i think they are very pretty split, i think you'll be very happy with ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:06pm   #5385
Joined Nov 2001
Re: Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Lexic View Post
well i think they are very pretty split, i think you'll be very happy with them and if you get bored you can even update your facebook with pretty pictures of them, just what you always wanted on a trading platform oh and don't forget the twitter button you might get to talk to a twit from finspreads.
I'm very suspicious of all new fangled contraptions. Don't have any of them. I might get around to a mobilephone one day but I have not needed one to date.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:15am   #5386
Joined Jul 2004

MartinC-J started this thread Just some observations. We closed at highs on friday night at 9pm. Then we gapped and spiked up 40 pts at 1am when the FTSE reopened. It is now trying to close that gap.

We have more greek eurobabble later today, and my gut feeling is that the volume will be subdued. Then we should finally get that big burst of excitement as the latest Greek deal gets announced and then it should hit 6000. FTSE cash is 23 pts higher than Futures, so 6000 in cash equals 5977 in futures. Over the next week or two, we might get a decent pullback of about 200 pts. Then one more failed up move with a lower high, then a move determine the lower support level for the new range for the next 2 to 3 months.

Last edited by MartinC-J; Feb 20, 2012 at 9:23am.
MartinC-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:19am   #5387
Joined Jul 2004

MartinC-J started this thread Oh yes, and I forgot. It's Presidents Day in the US, and the cash markets should be closed. The ES will be open, but trading on about a quarter of its normal volume. Last year it was rangebound in a tight range between 10:30am and 2:30pm. Then it fell off a cliff.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:07pm   #5388
Joined Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC-J View Post
Oh yes, and I forgot. It's Presidents Day in the US, and the cash markets should be closed. The ES will be open, but trading on about a quarter of its normal volume. Last year it was rangebound in a tight range between 10:30am and 2:30pm. Then it fell off a cliff.
Do you remember what is was that caused the sell off?
I have nothing in my journal as I was on holiday.

Today has been hard work. The gap was pretty much closed.

I have gone long a few times but I would like something with some legs on it.
reksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:21pm   #5389

Joined May 2003

aye, i was caught out by the 8:30 reversal try, had another go for the 9:00 (although a bit late in since it started early) which was better, but then not paying attention when the 10:00 try started a tad early so finished up with not much. Haven't got the dow hedge option today since dow closed and I'm assuming SB version will just show ftse etc.
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:18pm   #5390
Joined Nov 2001

I've managed 12 points. No real reason for closing except to put it in my pocket. "It's going to fluctuate".

Who said that?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:31pm   #5391
Joined Jul 2004

MartinC-J started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by reksa View Post
Do you remember what is was that caused the sell off?
I have nothing in my journal as I was on holiday.

Today has been hard work. The gap was pretty much closed.

I have gone long a few times but I would like something with some legs on it.
Last year they had the German Ifo Bus Climate number at 9am which was a good number, which gave the market a spike then it flattened out until 2:35pm, and then sold off when the US cash market would normally be open. I think it had something to do with a downgrade of Japan by Moodys. My notes don't say when the news was released, but that night asian markets dropped over 2%.

As for today, I've traded okay, except for when I got carried away and let the noise on the 1 min chart shake me out of a short and actually reverse long at the high. On days like today, you really need to trade the 5 min chart and not the 1 min chart. I am currently out of the market and closed my last short at 5923.5 at 12:17:27. But everything is a long hold today.

Should not be much going on this afternoon with the eurobabble meeting starting at 2:30pm and the press conference at 9pm. So a spike tonight and 6000 finally hit. Then can we have a big pullback please. I note the YM has already hit 13000 several times and holding near.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:49pm   #5392
Joined Nov 2001

Hi Martin,

I took your advice and locked in at BE when I had 7 points so thanks for that.