Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

This is a discussion on Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures?? within the Indices forums, part of the Markets category; morning MC :-) I dont know if it will help you but I seem to trade about 2 or 3 ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 18, 2011, 8:48am   #9

Joined Jun 2004
Re: Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

morning MC
:-)

I dont know if it will help you but I seem to trade about 2 or 3 times a day as on average ftse usually offers 2 'swings' per day

and like you I use 5min for set up and 1 min for entry etc
but I find volume is less than reliable
Old Mar 18, 2011, 9:38am   #10

Joined Jan 2007

this is one of the days (expiry) I trade FTSE... always fun... perfect for a tick whore

I have a new strategy for the roll I'm trying as well
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:55am   #11
Joined Jul 2004

MartinC-J started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornington Crescent View Post
morning MC
:-)

I dont know if it will help you but I seem to trade about 2 or 3 times a day as on average ftse usually offers 2 'swings' per day

and like you I use 5min for set up and 1 min for entry etc
but I find volume is less than reliable
Yes MC, I would like to do more swing trades, but that might be easier when I increase from one contract to two or three, and let one or two be runners. I very rarely have a trade lasting longer than 10 minutes, and I have to learn the discipline to sit on my hands to watch a trade for 25 to 50 minutes for a swing trade to develop.

Double tops and bottoms offer good opportunities for swing trades, but I like to see some confirmation of the top or bottom before entering the trade. I don't know which is preferable, entering right on the top or bottom with a tight stop, or waiting for it to bounce off and enter on a 2 point break on the 1 minute chart. What do you do? Anyone else have a preference for entries at double tops and bottoms?
MartinC-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:58am   #12
Joined Jul 2004

MartinC-J started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianights View Post
this is one of the days (expiry) I trade FTSE... always fun... perfect for a tick whore

I have only traded options expiry on the sim and don't have the guts to trade it live. I am always amazed at how volatile it is at expiry. Sometimes the price spikes massively. I have noticed that usually after the spike it tends to drift back over the next hour. So maybe it is better to fade any spike. Good luck with your new strategy.
MartinC-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:07am   #13

Joined Jan 2007

my strategy, such as it is, is to wait for any extreme movements in the roll (say 20 ticks mins) and take the other side... if necessary leg out once auction is over with. So it may be I get no fills. There's not really much in the book to the upside in the roll though!

don't think it wise to risk too much on this but 10 or 20 lots should be fun

of course I may end up regretting it!

earlier in the day, scalping outright is super duper easy cause it's so thin
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:16am   #14

Joined Jan 2007

alas.... I was too far away!

roll traded 56.5 though, then finishes at 43!

on and forget 20 lots, you'd have to do 2 and 3 lots max

Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:47pm   #15

Joined Nov 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianights View Post

Love the tick whore myself, far better than the lazy time whore imho
Dinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:08pm   #16

Joined Jan 2003

Hi My preferred market is FTSE, BUT working in the UK means that as I still have a day job it is difficult to find the time to trade.

I was doing 8am till just before 9am, scalping on a 5 minute chart (with a difference). I like the movement - it fits my style well.

Given the lack of time to concentrate I have moved to getting up a 5:30 am and trading the HSI (Hang Seng) futures after their lunch. The HSI is absolutely mental. The movement kind of fits my strategy though, as volatility is the main requirement.
Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote