Trading for a living & taxes in the Netherlands

This is a discussion on Trading for a living & taxes in the Netherlands within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; Originally Posted by DHB Hittfeld, So basically what you're saying is that, as long as you've got some form of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:31pm   #25
Joined Jul 2006
Re: Trading for a living & taxes in the Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHB View Post
Hittfeld,

So basically what you're saying is that, as long as you've got some form of other income (albeit for the record, since your primary source of income would be your monthly trading profits), your trading income is seen as investing gains (beleggingswinsten) and as such, only taxed @ 1.2%?

Secondly, what exactly did you mean by a "self-created day-job"? Self-employed (eenmanszaak or something)? Or just some ordinary part-time job?

Regards,
Boy
I read the tax system for capital gains in Holland.

They state 1,2% on the net capitals/investments used to realized a profit, so if you have an account of 100.000 EUR, you will pay around 1.200 eur tax.

Would be to nice... 1,2% on profits realized, assuming a 10% profit in the year this will be equal to a 0,12% only.

1,2% tax on Net assets is really good however I was just investigating in this and found other forums/posts with incorrect informations about other countries.
metapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:00am   #26

2 Posts
Joined Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHB View Post
Well, I've been doing some more research into this matter, and it seems that traders might actually get away with only paying capital gains tax (box III) of 1.2% on trading profits.

On the website rechtspraak.nl, which is the website that publishes Dutch court decisions (which are only in Dutch unfortunately for those who don't speak the language. Don't know if google translate can be of any help with judicial jargon...), take a look at case AWB 07/2843 (search for the bold case number and you should be able to find it without any difficulty).

<SNIP/>
Wow, this is incredible information, thanks. I am going to try to get my trading profits taxed in Box 3; let's see.
FordTimelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:55am   #27

Joined Aug 2008

I am Dutch and I had a read through it. Basically a professional options trader with 20 years+ experience started trading for himself and made losses of €300K+ over 2 years. And tried to use these losses to deduct his tax. The court ruled against it.

The reverse is that profits will also not be taxed. Bar the 1.2% CGT.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:26pm   #28
Joined Jun 2003

Hi soldintime, left Malta for Andorra? How`s life there? Tax ca 12%???

Regards
Hittfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:43pm   #29

Joined Aug 2008

I left Malta 2 years ago for Andorra. Love it here and 0% tax. Trading and snowboarding, good schools for kids.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:44pm   #30

Joined Aug 2008

Funny the flag on my profile is the Malta flag but when you hover over it it says Andorra.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 6:01pm   #31
Joined Jun 2003

I hate snowboarding, actually anything with snow -- but I love the tax regime you describe. What are the requirements nowadays??

Thanks
Hittfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:16am   #32

1 Posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dear traders and those interested in trading,

My name is Cyril and I'm a law student from Maastricht (not Dutch, unfortunately, but British). I'm currently starting to work on my Bachelor thesis, and the area of law I would like to focus on is international income and business taxation. More specifically, I think I might want to write on the countries which are most suitable and profitable for traders in terms of tax regulations. What I have noticed is that there are reams of information, personal accounts and comments on the best countries to trade in, with the lowest or no tax at all, but none of that information is thoroughly researched and easily available to traders. Would any of you traders benefit from such work? What I mean, would such research (although, not particularly extensive as it's not a PhD thesis, but just a Bachelor capstone) be interesting to you?

Moreover, I also wonder if any of you would be willing to stay in touch with me as I'm progressing with my thesis? You've traded for quite some time and it seems you have had to deal with various tax regulations with regard to trading. Would you care to share some of your knowledge and expertise with me? I want to produce a thesis that is useful and not just an odd 20K words of incompetent blabber. I take my work very seriously and that is why I've been looking for advice and guidance far and wide, even before I've begun researching and writing the thesis.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Cyril
cyrilmac is offline   Reply With Quote