MET Traders?? Any info appreciated

This is a discussion on MET Traders?? Any info appreciated within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; Personally I'm more interested to know about Pyne's PAID training intake. Surprised nobody from any intake has popped up on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:13am   #46
Joined Jun 2012
Personally I'm more interested to know about Pyne's PAID training intake. Surprised nobody from any intake has popped up on the boards to spill the beans. I'd honestly love to hear it because I've met some Pyne guys in IB.

Never thought Pyne would go that way, but then sometimes reputations are just bs anyway. Look how much Marex bought STA for.....

Remember when people used to wax lyrical about how profitable their calender spread speciality was? .........
random12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:16am   #47
Joined Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakeater View Post
Between the splits and the desk costs it must be very difficult to make money, if these guys were such good traders why would they bother with the hassle of training up loads of guys etc.?
Meh I can see why there'd be some mutual benefit in the retention of a couple of new guys. You can't just organically grow with your original mob if you're supposed to be a trading firm with a proper floor. Some of the techniques they use certainly have ceilings - very few of them trade outright positions to any kind of big level.

All about volume and and the same old STIR edges generally from what you hear.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:28pm   #48

3 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by random12345 View Post
Personally I'm more interested to know about Pyne's PAID training intake. Surprised nobody from any intake has popped up on the boards to spill the beans. I'd honestly love to hear it because I've met some Pyne guys in IB.

Never thought Pyne would go that way, but then sometimes reputations are just bs anyway. Look how much Marex bought STA for.....

Remember when people used to wax lyrical about how profitable their calender spread speciality was? .........
random12345, you said you met some of Pyne guys in IBs, what were their jobs/positions there?
Also, how much do you get paid during your training?
and could you elaborate on 'the direction Pyne took', please? thank you
Tiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:10pm   #49
Joined Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggi View Post
random12345, you said you met some of Pyne guys in IBs, what were their jobs/positions there?
Also, how much do you get paid during your training?
and could you elaborate on 'the direction Pyne took', please? thank you
By some. I meant one. He worked in BIS at BarCap. Prop trading is very rarely a way in to IB so I wouldn't draw any conclusions there if you are looking at that route.

Sorry my grammar was a bit poor there - by "paid", I meant they now make trainees pay just like their lowly competition, not that they pay their trainees.

The direction they have taken is to instead of being a dedicated prop house like Optiver etc, they are now apparently a low rent pay to play outfit.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:44pm   #50
Joined Jan 2013
Quote:
Meh I can see why there'd be some mutual benefit in the retention of a couple of new guys. You can't just organically grow with your original mob if you're supposed to be a trading firm with a proper floor. Some of the techniques they use certainly have ceilings - very few of them trade outright positions to any kind of big level.

All about volume and and the same old STIR edges generally from what you hear.
Sorry, this might be a stupid question but what did you mean by that highlighted statement. What are STIRs?

I only trade outright so I am a bit clueless in this regard.
Steakeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:13pm   #51
Joined Dec 2013
Quote:
Sorry, this might be a stupid question but what did you mean by that highlighted statement. What are STIRs?

I only trade outright so I am a bit clueless in this regard.
has your google broken
sonofcablemonster is offline Data vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:27pm   #52
Joined Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcablemonster View Post
has your google broken
Indeeeeeeeeeeed.

Short Term Interest Rate (STIR) futures.

Liquid and a bit dull. Perfect for grinding out your miserable take home.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:59am   #53
Joined Jan 2013
Quote:
Indeeeeeeeeeeed.

Short Term Interest Rate (STIR) futures.

Liquid and a bit dull. Perfect for grinding out your miserable take home.
Do they just scalp a few pips out all day from them then?
Steakeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:02pm   #54
Joined Jun 2012
Quote:
Do they just scalp a few pips out all day from them then?
Depends what you mean by scalping... I suppose calendar spreads are scalping, but not like S&R scalping and then... well... that can be used too...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/STIR-Futures...9974418&sr=1-1
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:21pm   #55

4 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
hi guys, was searching for an old company when this thread popped up so decided to give my two cents on it. i worked at met for about 6 months a few years ago, passed the training, went live and traded euribor, gasoil and oil spreads.

the long and short of it is that its good experience of dma trading oils, gasoil and euribor future spreads, however they dont have a magic formula that will make u rich.

the basic premise of the business is to get traders to rack up large number of trades, which i am assuming went towards some kind of rebate or kickback they were getting off the exchanges.

two huge red herrings in hindsight were that i never saw the guy in charge of training trade live, and one guy who had experience of trading basically quitting a few weeks into training after challenging management on the "cost" structure.

i chose to leave of my own accord, was told i should see out a year, and my profitability was just around the corner, but i had had enough of basically feeling like i was trading for the sake of it, racking up costs while not making any money and seeing my savings hurtle towards 0.

but i guess u could call me lucky, i eventually got a entry level job in a financial institution and the experience helped me to talk to traders at my new comp, one of whom saw the passion in me to work unpaid for 6 months to try and become a trader, and recommended me for a junior trading in the firm from where i progressed to being a salaried trader.

there was definitely an element of quasi-ethical behavour on the part of MET in how they treated traders, but i wouldnt swap the experience since i leveraged that exposure for what it was worth and it contributed to where i am today.

feel free to ask me anything.
888dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:30pm   #56
Joined May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888dan View Post
hi guys, was searching for an old company when this thread popped up so decided to give my two cents on it. i worked at met for about 6 months a few years ago, passed the training, went live and traded euribor, gasoil and oil spreads.

the long and short of it is that its good experience of dma trading oils, gasoil and euribor future spreads, however they dont have a magic formula that will make u rich.

the basic premise of the business is to get traders to rack up large number of trades, which i am assuming went towards some kind of rebate or kickback they were getting off the exchanges.

two huge red herrings in hindsight were that i never saw the guy in charge of training trade live, and one guy who had experience of trading basically quitting a few weeks into training after challenging management on the "cost" structure.

i chose to leave of my own accord, was told i should see out a year, and my profitability was just around the corner, but i had had enough of basically feeling like i was trading for the sake of it, racking up costs while not making any money and seeing my savings hurtle towards 0.

but i guess u could call me lucky, i eventually got a entry level job in a financial institution and the experience helped me to talk to traders at my new comp, one of whom saw the passion in me to work unpaid for 6 months to try and become a trader, and recommended me for a junior trading in the firm from where i progressed to being a salaried trader.

there was definitely an element of quasi-ethical behavour on the part of MET in how they treated traders, but i wouldnt swap the experience since i leveraged that exposure for what it was worth and it contributed to where i am today.

where are you now?
joselopezde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017, 9:56pm   #57

4 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by joselopezde View Post
where are you now?
Quote:
should have qualified, ask me anything about met, for sake of anonymity id rather not say where i work atm, its a small bank for context tho.
888dan is offline   Reply With Quote