What do you tell people you "do"?

This is a discussion on What do you tell people you "do"? within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; When people ask what you do for a living, what do you say? Day trader? Futures Trader? Options trader? Stock ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:26pm   #1

2 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
What do you tell people you "do"?

When people ask what you do for a living, what do you say?

Day trader? Futures Trader? Options trader? Stock trader?

All of these labels seem to evoke the vision of an unemployed guy sitting in his pajamas all day gambling. To avoid petty conversation and confusion by telling people I trade futures, I just tell them I'm an independent investor. They usually don't ask much more after that.

What about you? Stories?
fist-of-freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:51am   #2

Joined Jun 2005
Re: What do you tell people you "do"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fist-of-freedom View Post
When people ask what you do for a living, what do you say?

Day trader? Futures Trader? Options trader? Stock trader?

All of these labels seem to evoke the vision of an unemployed guy sitting in his pajamas all day gambling. To avoid petty conversation and confusion by telling people I trade futures, I just tell them I'm an independent investor. They usually don't ask much more after that.

What about you? Stories?
Tell 'em you're a pianist in a brothel. It's more interesting and most blokes can relate to it.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 7:40pm   #3

Joined Dec 2011

Derivatives Trader...........

That normally curtails any further chit chat !!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:44pm   #4

Joined Mar 2008

gambler
advfntrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:13pm   #5
Joined May 2012

Well, I'm not doing it as a full time yet, so I can still answer what I do for a living without people looking at me differently. However, I do as a part-time, so there are a quite people who know that I do it. I usually tell them that I'm a Forex trader.. if they ask what it is, I'll explain.. simple!
lynhappytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:15pm   #6

Joined Jan 2003

I tell them I'm a serial killer. It doesn't pay well but the job satisfaction is high. Either that or the conversation descends into me saying that'...I look for repeating patterns comprised of a confluence of ...' which like the poster above, usually kills it off.

Last edited by bbmac; Oct 16, 2012 at 4:21pm.
bbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:49am   #7

6 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
I tell them I sell cable and fibre.
Forex-Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:34am   #8
Joined Sep 2010
I only tell them when I'm winning
brewski1984 is online now   Reply With Quote