What do you tell people you "do"?

This is a discussion on What do you tell people you "do"? within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; I find if you mention you a successful gambler or trader from home they usually want to know how which ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:43am   #9

Joined Mar 2004
I find if you mention you a successful gambler or trader from home they usually want to know how which can lead to lengthy explanations. So something else. Not too boring unless you want to end the conversation and not too interesting like pimping for pretty girls or they will want some.
Actor gives a lot of leeway on the roles one can opt for.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:49pm   #10

Joined Jul 2017
Master of the Universe and a Big Swinging Dick
:-)

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:58pm   #11

Joined Mar 2014
I'd be interested to know what full-time spread bettors put down as occupations on forms for eg. car insurance. For the last 2 years I've listed myself as unemployed. The last thing I want to put is 'Trader' in case HMRC gets a sniff of it. I'm also worried the trader tag would put you in the same super-high risk category as 'Actor' or 'Footballer'
cbrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:09pm   #12

Joined Nov 2003
What do I do ?

Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:52pm   #13
Joined Feb 2002
If I have to tell anyone I'm trading, I am very dismissive of it - you know the sort of thing - its just a bit of fun, just a side-line, just for pocket money.

The odd thing is, the more I try to play it down, the more they think I must be raking it in.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Oscar Reed
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:28pm   #14
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
I don't have any of the problems that many of you outline here, as I just say "I'm on the staff for an online community forum". This invariably concludes the very brief conversation about my occupation, but it's not without it's problems. The response is usually that they have XYZ technical issue with their phone, tablet or lappy etc. and ask my advice on what to do. When I say I'm a technophobe, a Luddite, and that I know sweet FA about any of that stuff, they look utterly perplexed. " But, you just said you work for . . ."

Not unreasonably I suppose, there's a common (mis)perception that anyone who works for an internet based company is a tech nerd that knows anything and everything about computers etc. Even my wife doesn't quite believe me when I say that I know no more about them than she does and to phone customers services when she's got a problem. I genuinely don't have a clue - and absolutely zero interest!
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote