$25 Million A Day

This is a discussion on $25 Million A Day within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by timsk What we all wanna do is to copy the guys 'n gels at GS who didn't ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 10, 2010, 11:12pm   #8
Joined Jan 2009
Re: $25 Million A Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
What we all wanna do is to copy the guys 'n gels at GS who didn't have a single losing day in the first quarter of the year according to this article on Bloomberg.
Goldman Sachs Has First Quarter With No Trading Loss
Well, I guess they'll be needing every cent to help pay their legal expenses!
this is nothing. medbs discovered 100 pct successful trading a while ago.
meanreversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: rathcoole_exile
Old May 11, 2010, 3:53am   #9

Joined Dec 2009

Well - if you co-locate a server at the exchange, see orders coming in before they hit the exchange and front-run them - how exactly would you have a losing day ?

If you tell me Goldman are making money every day and not having any losers, we can come to the following conclusions.

1 - Goldman are clearly NOT using the techniques that any member of this site uses
2 - In all likeliness Goldman are abusing the system

Anyone that thinks they are just good at interpreting price action is a fool
I cannot see., however why we should expect to find a "system" which will work in the stock market; surely the possibilities of profits for the student justify the time and effort required to learn market interpretation.

Humphrey B Neill - 1931
DionysusToast is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: sinimini
Old May 11, 2010, 4:10am   #10
Joined Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
Well - if you co-locate a server at the exchange, see orders coming in before they hit the exchange and front-run them - how exactly would you have a losing day ?

If you tell me Goldman are making money every day and not having any losers, we can come to the following conclusions.

1 - Goldman are clearly NOT using the techniques that any member of this site uses
2 - In all likeliness Goldman are abusing the system

Anyone that thinks they are just good at interpreting price action is a fool
They are abusing the system every which way they can with the SEC's blessing. Of course both the SEC and FED employ many ex-Goldman executives. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 6:51am   #11
Joined Feb 2008

you're all mugs. jesus. goldmans is a market maker, in general they're onside as soon as they trade with a counterparty.
gooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: JRP2891 , elitejets , rawrschach , Waterfield
Old May 11, 2010, 8:14am   #12
Joined Jan 2009

They're doing God's work, and I'm sure He is happy with their achievements.

But seriously, not ONE losing day? It's beyond the realms of probability. Let's say you have a 95 pct chance of making money on a given day, then the chance of NO losing days over 62 days is 0.95^62 = 0.04, thus 4% chance of no losing days in a quarter if you have the (simply astonishing) probability of 95 pct for making money. Ok, my arithmetic here is a bit crude, but you get the idea.

In fact, it's not until you get to 99 pct chance of making money that the odds for a no-lose quarter rise to 50 pct.

Ok, so they're market makers so it's more a case of capturing bid/ask rather than taking proprietary risk per se. But nonetheless, it's a mindblowing statistic.
meanreversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 10:21am   #13

Joined Dec 2009

What makes you think they are trading directional strategies as a large proportion of their trades ?

They are an MM - but it seems that being an active MM is going out of fashion right now, this is probably the fault of those pesky HFT algos.

The problem is - people tend to think within their own domain. Of course, within the domain of any member of this site, 3 months without a losing day is exceptional.

Given quite a few billions, the ability to manipulate prices and to step in front of trades and then it doesn't seem like such an outrageous proposition.

Of course - limit Goldman to MACD, stochastics and a moving average crossover to trade off and their performance may deteriorate somewhat.
I cannot see., however why we should expect to find a "system" which will work in the stock market; surely the possibilities of profits for the student justify the time and effort required to learn market interpretation.

Humphrey B Neill - 1931
DionysusToast is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 10:27am   #14

Joined Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseman View Post
you're all mugs. jesus. goldmans is a market maker, in general they're onside as soon as they trade with a counterparty.
At last. An accurate statement on t2w.
elitejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: JRP2891