Will the banks be smashed tomorrow

This is a discussion on Will the banks be smashed tomorrow within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; OK, but would you accept that short selling can contribute to falls in share prices? Yes when liquidity is low. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:58pm   #15
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Quote:
OK, but would you accept that short selling can contribute to falls in share prices?
Yes when liquidity is low. Usually it is not possible to Short more than a certain percentage of a stock

Quote:
Would you say that it is purely co-incidental that on today, the day when the short selling restrictions were listed, RBS's share price fell by nearly a quarter in just a couple of hours, and the other banks took a pounding?
In my view it is coincidental because they were all hit with bad news and that is when the prices started to drop.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 2:50am   #16

Joined Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader333 View Post
Yes when liquidity is low. Usually it is not possible to Short more than a certain percentage of a stock

In my view it is coincidental because they were all hit with bad news and that is when the prices started to drop.

Paul
FWIW I think bank share prices have dropped today because the cereal eater on Million Dollar Traders went long on Bradford and Bingley in October - Poincare, Mandelbrot et al knew / know what they were / are talking about.....
Beachtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:42am   #17

Joined Feb 2007
Barclays got smashed by 25%

Shares in Barclays took a sudden plunge in late trading today, ending the day down 25% amid renewed fears of a crisis in the banking system.

Barclays shares fell to their lowest level since 1993 – down 32.4p to just 98p - and dragged other shares in the beleaguered banking sector down.

and alot of others

Barclays shares fall 25% | Business | guardian.co.uk

OOOops
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:13pm   #18
Joined Dec 2006
Perhaps there should be a new thread on whether the banks will avoid complete nationalisation.
TheGoose is offline Trading system vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:16pm   #19

Joined May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
Perhaps there should be a new thread on whether the banks will avoid complete nationalisation.
lol that would be a short thred...

Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:32pm   #20

Joined Feb 2007
what is the latest news with Barclays?? nationalised or not! what about Qatar?