Anyone can learn?

This is a discussion on Anyone can learn? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by firewalker99 Another question for the originator of this thread Can anyone become a F1 driver? (environment, environment,...) ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:44am   #57
Joined Jan 2007
Smile Fast laps and no fall off possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker99 View Post
Another question for the originator of this thread

Can anyone become a F1 driver?
(environment, environment,...)

Yet I'm sure we can are all pretty much convinced that learning to drive is something almost anyone can learn.
Hi FW

Most could be taught to put some fast consistant laps in imho Fw :-)
black bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:50am   #58
Joined Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantx View Post
FW, Damian,

If one has a wife, children, mortgage, etc and an insignificant amount of capital (less than 1 year's total living costs, excluding trading capital), the question arises whether speculative trading is a responsible course, ie what are costs (excluding monetary) to others? In the final analysis perhaps the question is, can you afford to fail?

Grant.

Hi Grant,

.....and I think that's the reason why most people feel unable to take the plunge and begin a business of any description, let alone trading.

Society tends to put us all onto the same conveyor-belt of life from the day we are born: we get an education, we get a job, we purchase liabilities like a house and a car, we start a family..........and then we dream of breaking free from the job that helped make all the above possible.

I'm not saying that we should abandon our responsibilities, but it seems to be human nature to trap ourselves into a rat-race that we spend half our lives trying to escape....

Thanks

Damian
damianoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: black bear
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:32am   #59

Joined May 2003
I know Firewalker is going to disagree with this, but here goes

Like many other vocations I believe that a top trader has a mix of natural abilities that are ideally suited to successful trading. For those without the right natural mix, good training and experience can enhance the abilities that are beneficial to success (and subdue those that are detrimental) to the level of proficiency but not to greatness.

I've been at this since the sixties - when you drew your own charts and "short term" was measured in days and weeks rather than minutes and hours - and it wasn't until I accepted that, in trading terms, I was a county athlete at best that I made progress. Thus, it's strictly a secondary income "hobby" with everything geared to that end and never money on the line that'd make or break me.

I admire those of you who have the courage to pursue trading as your livelihood and have enormous respect for those of you who manage it. I have neither the courage nor the ability to be so successful, but I'm happy where I am.

good trading

jon
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: black bear , new_trader
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:37pm   #60
Joined Jun 2006
Andy,

My only problem is a lack of discipline (but I'm working on it).

Grant.
grantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:46pm   #61

Joined Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by damianoakley View Post
Hi Grant,
but it seems to be human nature to trap ourselves into a rat-race that we spend half our lives trying to escape....
Damian
Agree. Many people work very hard to earn the money necessary to sustain the lifestyle from which they would like to escape. Very few work out that the solution is to escape.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:58pm   #62
Joined Jan 2007
Wink Mine to

Quote:
Andy,

Grant.
Hi Grant

Thanks

working on it to, must be that Manchester air that corrodes that bit of the brain box

Funny really because its lack of discipline thats shaped my life and its been .......well no complaints worth mentioning ............... a real good road trip.

Serious = working on it very hard

Cheers, trade well and stay disciplined

latter......................News out
black bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:33pm   #63

Joined Jul 2006
Quote:
Andy,

Grant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black bear View Post
Hi Grant

Thanks

working on it too, must be that Manchester air that corrodes that bit of the brain box

Funny really because its lack of discipline thats shaped my life and its been .......well no complaints worth mentioning ............... a real good road trip.

Serious = working on it very hard

Cheers, trade well and stay disciplined

latter......................News out
Perhaps - instead of going round in circles in this endless nature vs nurture debate - it would be more beneficial to start a thread on "how to become more disciplined?".

Just my 2c...
firewalker99 is offline   Reply With Quote