Anyone can learn?

This is a discussion on Anyone can learn? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Paul71 So why aren't people learning and doing it? Hyperthetical bit.... Minimum wage couple, bought a house ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:41pm   #43

Joined Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul71 View Post
So why aren't people learning and doing it?

Hyperthetical bit....

Minimum wage couple, bought a house 10 years ago, some equity in it. Both in jobs that suck.

You can see where i'm going with this, right?
Let me ask you a couple of questions:

How does the outside world look at 'traders'? Are they doing 'a real job' or are they just 'gamblers'?

What is the reaction of society when someone says "oh, instead of going to college, I'll go tour the world, see some cities across the globe, enjoy some new experiences, and after 2 years I'll come back and find myself a job and a wife and some kids..."?

How do family & friends look upon you when you would say "hey, I'm quitting my job, I'm going to try something new, I don't know if it's going to work, and I might lose a lot of money, but it's worth the try".

(here comes that word environment again )
firewalker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:51pm   #44

Joined Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader_dante View Post
Some people are simply risk averse and/or not entrepreneurial or interested in really striving to increase their financial status. I know several people who could be very wealthy by now. People that had the right skills at the right time to make it big but that lacked the drive.
That's a good point.

One could also ask - for example - why do so many people prefer to work in a pay job instead of being self-employed or starting their own business?

Is it because you need the right genes for starting your own business? Or is it because you need some starting capital and have to put in a lot of time and effort before there's a chance of succeeding? (dzjee this sounds awfully much like trading).
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:59pm   #45

Joined Jul 2006
or do genes play a role after all?

Women appear to be better investors than men... (less ego):

Women's portfolios often to do better than men's - Business First of Louisville:
Old Apr 10, 2008, 6:31am   #46
Joined Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker99 View Post
That's a good point.

One could also ask - for example - why do so many people prefer to work in a pay job instead of being self-employed or starting their own business?

Is it because you need the right genes for starting your own business? Or is it because you need some starting capital and have to put in a lot of time and effort before there's a chance of succeeding? (dzjee this sounds awfully much like trading).

Hi Firewalker,

I think most people see a full-time job as the safest and most secure way of generating an income. They see things like trading or starting a business as risky and insecure.

Personally, I see it from another angle. I think that if your only income is dependent upon an employer providing you with a monthly salary, then that is very risky.

I prefer to have more control over where and how my income is generated.

Each to their own of course....

Thanks

Damian
damianoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:05am   #47
Joined Jun 2006
FW, Damian,

If one has a wife, children, mortgage, etc and an insignificant amount of capital (less than 1 year's total living costs, excluding trading capital), the question arises whether speculative trading is a responsible course, ie what are costs (excluding monetary) to others? In the final analysis perhaps the question is, can you afford to fail?

Grant.
grantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: black bear
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:35am   #48
Joined Jan 2007
Smile Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantx View Post
FW, Damian,

If one has a wife, children, mortgage, etc and an insignificant amount of capital (less than 1 year's total living costs, excluding trading capital), the question arises whether speculative trading is a responsible course, ie what are costs (excluding monetary) to others? In the final analysis perhaps the question is, can you afford to fail?

Grant.
Hi Grant

That is imho the fall down for many imo, its not if they can trade in the money its

Can I make enough to feed myself and family, can I trade at size when it does matter

Am I being selfish ? answer is Yes

Am I being realistic answer is unknown, you have crunched past figs but they are past figs

At the end of the day the cost of start up and the risk of ruin is just to great for many

The cost of doing nothing while you develope and learn or not as the case may be adds up and is where the real loss in trading is made, not at the market. That pressure is not for many.

I used to have a small 3 employee business ~ Closed down, life choice did not go bust :-) just moved on to other things in life, was young..............er :-)

The daily weekly pressure to find work in slack times can be draining, in the early days it can be 24/7 which for many is totally out and just not possible even if they wanted to do it
black bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:56am   #49

Joined Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantx View Post
FW, Damian,

Grant.
It's probably not. So the question arises, what factors come into play if you want to be a speculator? Starting out young, with little responsibilities seems the more likely path to take. Again, how many people of middle age start up a new business? Most entrepeneurs start at a relatively young age, they have little to lose...