Anyone can learn?

This is a discussion on Anyone can learn? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Damian, "fulfilled with the life they have." Unfortunately, there is an implicit assumption in some quarters on T2W (and elsewhere, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:45am   #36
Joined Jun 2006
Damian,

"fulfilled with the life they have."

Unfortunately, there is an implicit assumption in some quarters on T2W (and elsewhere, especially Elite Trader) that if one isn't trading and also making a wad, this is tantamount to failure.

Grant.
grantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: mp6140
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:00pm   #37
Joined Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantx View Post
Damian,

Unfortunately, there is an implicit assumption in some quarters on T2W (and elsewhere, especially Elite Trader) that if one isn't trading and also making a wad, this is tantamount to failure.

Grant.

Hi Grant,

I agree......sadly, we are all judged by the house we live in, the car we drive, and the money we earn.

Damian
damianoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:51pm   #38
Joined Oct 2006
MP -- ah, another new thread !

Grant

ah indeed Grant --- HOW MUCH is enough ?

$100K, 250K, 500K, 2.5 M, ---- WHERE DOES IT END (i know, greed determines the end point)

obviously there are people who MUST have a few million at the very least (per year) and those who must have more, and even people who can live with (gasp !) LESS !

we should all start a new thread --- "HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH ?

But we must have 5 or 10 year reunions, because each persons needs will change over time --- it could become a wonderous ongoing thread !

mp
mp6140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:53pm   #39

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Damian,

Grant.
1) What would your opinion on this be if the title of the thread was, "Can anyone teach trading?"

2) Who would you want as a teacher? (In terms of wad making) Someone who IS making a wad or someone barely scraping by?

CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:35pm   #40
Joined Jun 2006
NT,

1) No. Those who can, some are better than others. I think the best one can hope for is to be taught what not to do.

2) The successful, obviously. But this is too black and white. Someone may be brilliant on all aspects of the markets, including how to trade, but is psychologically unsuitable (whatever that means)or perhaps trading has no interest.

Grant.
grantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:12pm   #41
Joined Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
1) What would your opinion on this be if the title of the thread was, "Can anyone teach trading?"

2) Who would you want as a teacher? (In terms of wad making) Someone who IS making a wad or someone barely scraping by?

Hi New_Trader,

Interesting questions, especially for someone like me who does get involved in the coaching side of things as well as trading itself.

1) From my experience, I would say that trading CAN be taught, but what can't be controlled is maintaining the student's desire to continue with trading once the theory has been taught. Many people quit trading when they realise that it has to be treated as a serious business venture, which involves a great deal of planning and commitment.

2) As regards who you would prefer to employ as your teacher/mentor, people will (and should) check out the credentials of anyone that they are considering working with - I think that this applies to all walks of life, whether it be traders, driving instructors or personal trainers.

You would want to be assured of a teacher's success before handing over any money, and one of the only ways to assess that level of success is to see if they portray a successful image, which comes down again to the house they live in, the car they drive, the clothes they wear, etc.

I suppose in this case, material things can actually hold some importance.

Thanks

Damian
damianoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: black bear , new_trader
Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:50pm   #42
Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Damian,

Grant.
You forgot to add........

If someone isn't doing it the same way the person judging them is doing it that is also tantamount to failure.

It's no good making a wad of money from mechanical system trading, that isn't really trading and you aren't really successful if you do it that way.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: black bear