Did you make a profit in 2017?

This is a discussion on Did you make a profit in 2017? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; not spread betting, i just about broke even. Buying and selling shares I done pretty well, 20% return on what ...

View Poll Results: Did you make a profit in the 2017?
My account grew (profit) 9 42.86%
My account stayed more or less the same (break-even) 4 19.05%
My account shrunk (loss) 5 23.81%
I didnít keep a track of all the figures so Iím not sure 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:52pm   #9

Joined Jan 2015
not spread betting, i just about broke even.

Buying and selling shares I done pretty well, 20% return on what i was using to trade.
newspreadbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:18pm   #10
Joined May 2013
so 95% must have flopped and lost money..
wallstreetking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:21pm   #11
Joined May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
No thanks :-) I already have back to back losing years... talk about faith in the system :-)
your system needs tweaking
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:23pm   #12
Joined May 2013
I have come back to this forum after a long time. Are there any threads or journals with consistent performers.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:47pm   #13
Joined Feb 2002
Finally voted and answering this question.

Unhappily, I lost money in 2017 but learned a lot nevertheless, and I'm hopeful it was a transition year for me.

January-March, I traded only Steven Primo's Strategy #4, almost wholly on FTSE350 stocks. Results were not not terrible but not as good as hoped for.

April and May I cut down on Strategy #4 and resumed swing trades using Marc Rivalland's methodology. During June and August I added a few more candlestick entry patterns and broadened targets to include FTSE SmallCaps and AIM100 stocks (in July I took a break). From August onwards trades were almost wholly in forex pairs and indices. Monthly losses reducing.

In September I started pyramiding winning positions and developing a pyramiding system. Monthly loss reducing again.

October was a small loss, but gaining much confidence in defining and pyramiding trend-following trades.

In November I bulked up my trading account and continued trend-following and pyramiding forex and indices. From that point I have grown the account balance by 65%. If current open trades were closed right now, the account growth since 08/11 would be +170%.

Hoping for a healthy 2018.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:50pm   #14

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreetking View Post
your system needs tweaking
Maybe, but I donít think so, every system will have losing trades, days, weeks, months and years... the goal is to have more winnings in the end and the magic of compounding will make you rich in the long run...

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:14pm   #15
Joined Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Maybe, but I donít think so, every system will have losing trades, days, weeks, months and years... the goal is to have more winnings in the end and the magic of compounding will make you rich in the long run...
Wait, what? Vince told me I could make £100-£200 guaranteed every day?
brewski1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Lee Shepherd
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:24pm   #16

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1984 View Post
Wait, what? Vince told me I could make £100-£200 guaranteed every day?
Yep, turning 20k into 40k in one week, not a big deal
Everybody can do it for 3 easy payments...

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Lee Shepherd