Need advice on how to proceed

This is a discussion on Need advice on how to proceed within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; By all means come back with a bit more if it helps makes sense of the picture....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 5, 2016, 6:31pm   #9
Joined Feb 2002
By all means come back with a bit more if it helps makes sense of the picture.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2016, 6:38pm   #10

4 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
du$t started this thread @tomorton: it is relatively simple to simulate the effect of drag from transaction costs and things like slippage from trading larger amounts (I touched upon this in my original post).

I have tested the opening and closing codes in depth using actual cash. The main reason I do not want to trade with a smaller amount- say 5k USD- is that the account's value will erode quickly due to transaction costs eating profits. The caveat is that I could still make arguments about alpha that would have been generated had a larger amount been traded, but I think for demonstrative purposes, it is much better to be able to make a statement like (I generated 20% on 100K after 6 months, for example). I have managed to scrap together 75k USD, which will be enough to smother out the effect of trading drag and demonstrate returns. Thanks again for all of your help.
du$t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:02pm   #11
Joined Feb 2002
Understood. Cheers.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote