Scalping stocks - Demo vs. Live - Tradestation - Fail

This is a discussion on Scalping stocks - Demo vs. Live - Tradestation - Fail within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; I've decided to give scalping a chance. So to gain access to Tradestation demo account you need to open live ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:29pm   #1
s1m

1 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Scalping stocks - Demo vs. Live - Tradestation - Fail

I've decided to give scalping a chance.
So to gain access to Tradestation demo account you need to open live account and fund it with $30000.As simple as that
But what is exact purpose of demo accounts? It definitely does not mirror live trading environment.Not Tradestation one.

This scenario,for instance:
Demo account. BAC,1000 shares, limit buy at bid, order filled within a couple of seconds.Nice.

Moving on to live account. BAC, 1000 shares, limit buy at bid and the adventure begins here…
Order is placed last in line,fair enough. After a while it will make it’s way right up to the front. Trouble is that when I am stuck there, first in line, waiting 10 minutes to get my fill, orders below me are being filled almost every second. Of course I will get my fill eventually, but too many times it happens exactly when the market turns against me.What a coincidence.

It quickly become visible that Tradestation in terms of limit order execution time is not “ ideal” choice for certain very active strategies.
Yes I’ve got a lot to learn but I would have thought that for $30k I will get a proper demo to practice.

Anyway, I would much appreciate your suggestions as to where to go for truly speedy, low commissions limit order execution.
s1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:23am   #2

1 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Re: Scalping stocks - Demo vs. Live - Tradestation - Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1m View Post
So to gain access to Tradestation demo account you need to open live account and fund it with $30000.As simple as that
But what is exact purpose of demo accounts? It definitely does not mirror live trading environment.Not Tradestation one.

This scenario,for instance:
Demo account. BAC,1000 shares, limit buy at bid, order filled within a couple of seconds.Nice.

Moving on to live account. BAC, 1000 shares, limit buy at bid and the adventure begins here…
Order is placed last in line,fair enough. After a while it will make it’s way right up to the front. Trouble is that when I am stuck there, first in line, waiting 10 minutes to get my fill, orders below me are being filled almost every second. Of course I will get my fill eventually, but too many times it happens exactly when the market turns against me.What a coincidence.

It quickly become visible that Tradestation in terms of limit order execution time is not “ ideal” choice for certain very active strategies.
Yes I’ve got a lot to learn but I would have thought that for $30k I will get a proper demo to practice.

Anyway, I would much appreciate your suggestions as to where to go for truly speedy, low commissions limit order execution.

Did you ever find a broker where this worked? I am doing the same thing you did, training with the demo account at Tradestation. I have been doing well with it, I hope it fills my orders better than they did for you :-(
Strongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:42pm   #3

1 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Re: Scalping stocks - Demo vs. Live - Tradestation - Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1m View Post
Simple my ass
changbachang is offline   Reply With Quote