How do you start your own Hedge Fund in the UK

This is a discussion on How do you start your own Hedge Fund in the UK within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Hello Just wondering if any traders here have any experience in hedge fund start up in the UK. I have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:37pm   #1
Joined Jun 2010
How do you start your own Hedge Fund in the UK

Hello

Just wondering if any traders here have any experience in hedge fund start up in the UK. I have heard the industry is very ungregulated and i have been told that all you need is a large sum of money to kick start the fund an accountant and a lawyer and the rest is paper work.

Any Traders here that can give me some advice?

Thank You
davidh1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:43pm   #2
Joined Jun 2011
Re: How do you start your own Hedge Fund in the UK

Just go hire an accountant and tell him you want to start a hedge fund company, and he should be able to do the rest. I have no idea where this lawyer would come in. I also don't understand why you need a large sum of money. I always thought hedge funds get their money from noobs who want to get rich.

Last edited by BeginnerJoe; Jul 16, 2011 at 9:07pm.
BeginnerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:58pm   #3
Joined Jun 2010

davidh1819 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeginnerJoe View Post
Just go hire an accountant and tell him you want to start a hedge fund company, and he should be able to to the rest. I have no idea where this lawyer would come in. I also don't understand why you need a large sum of money. I always thought hedge funds get their money from noobs who want to get rich.

No Hedge funds are funds for wealthly individuals who dont want there money doing nothing in the bank. You need a large sum of money so your potential clients will take you seriosly and will have have more confidence in you as a trader because your putting your own captial at risk along side there money. Also you can use your clients money to short sell shares a mutual fund will not allow this due to regulation.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:02pm   #4
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh1819 View Post
No Hedge funds are funds for wealthly individuals who dont want there money doing nothing in the bank. You need a large sum of money so your potential clients will take you seriosly and will have have more confidence in you as a trader because your putting your own captial at risk along side there money. Also you can use your clients money to short sell shares a mutual fund will not allow this due to regulation.
Oh, ok. Well, I was with a couple of hedge fund start ups before. They didn't have any money and had to go find noobs looking for a gamble. There is in fact advantages for the first noobs to plunge in. Potentially they'd get paid off with money from noobs who come in after.
Thanks! The following members like this post: Pazienza
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:11pm   #5
Joined Jun 2010

davidh1819 started this thread
Quote:
Oh, ok. Well, I was with a couple of hedge fund start ups before. They didn't have any money and had to go find noobs looking for a gamble. There is in fact advantages for the first noobs to plunge in. Potentially they'd get paid off with money from noobs who come in after.
Thats not a hedge fund that is called a Ponzi scheme its illegal
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:32pm   #6

Joined Apr 2010

lulz thread

Looks like Scose be trollin' 'aaaaard tho... as far as some are concerned!
scose-no-doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Black Swan
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:02pm   #7
Joined Oct 2006

Quote:
Im pretty sure those weren't hedge funds you were at. More like boiler rooms or ponzi schemes.
pboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:13pm   #8
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboyles View Post
Im pretty sure those weren't hedge funds you were at. More like boiler rooms or ponzi schemes.
I always assumed pozi schemes are those who got caught. Those who didn't are hedge funds. Do you see why hedge funds require a deregulated environment ?

If you read what I said, I never said the funds were doing anything of the sort. I am giving a reason why people would rush into these kind of funds. The potentialities are there.

Last edited by BeginnerJoe; Jul 16, 2011 at 5:38pm.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:05pm   #9

Joined Mar 2011

Hedge fund seems interesting, would clients be happy with say 20% a year and you keep the rest?
Doomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:05pm   #10
Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by scose-no-doubt View Post
lulz thread
Even the babypips regulars would be cringing at the fooktarded content..
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:06pm   #11

Joined Oct 2010

safvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:23pm   #12
Joined Jun 2011

Where in the video does it say the early entrants to the fund can't be paid off from the money of the late comers ? Perhaps the cringing experts and their babypips buddies can explain ?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:32pm   #13
Joined Oct 2006

Nowhere, so it must be OK.
pboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:33pm   #14
Joined Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh1819 View Post
Thats not a hedge fund that is called a Ponzi scheme its illegal
Ponzi schemes are not illegal. What do you think the UK state pension is? What do you think unfunded final salary public sector pension schemes are?

Ponzi schemes, far from being illegal, are actively run and promoted by our own government.
Pazienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: MajorDutch , the hare , market_bull
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:36pm   #15
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboyles View Post
Nowhere, so it must be OK.
Thank you. Glad to have some expert enlightenment in this threadz. Do you know people from babypips or something ?