Why do they do it?

This is a discussion on Why do they do it? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the T2W Archive category; Presumably most people get involved with trading to make money. [later on you can hone your skills just as you ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:12am   #1

Joined Jun 2005
Why do they do it?

Presumably most people get involved with trading to make money. [later on you can hone your skills just as you might with golf - and derive much satisfaction from that]. But I'm curious as to why there are so many trainers / vendors out there - I suppose many of them enjoy training but the underlying reason has to be a financial one doesn't it?

Here's my personal take: I trade simply and successfully - I don't need to do it for a living & really it's just an extra source of income. But, if I want more money I just execute more trades (because I know what I do is profitable within my "small-time trader environment". So, it's relatively easy and really no hassle.

I would have thought that most people with a successful method would approach it in my way - who would really want the bother of teaching/mentoring/coping with dumb-nuts etc? I therefore reluctantly conclude that many (though certainly not all - I have known of good bona-fide trainers) of these people make more money from training than trading.

Or am I wrong - and is the truth that they just love training others?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:23am   #2
Joined Jul 2010
Re: Why do they do it?

I train people partly for selfish reasons, it makes me better. I never charge money though. When I was active in Tae Kwon Do, I took part in loads of competitions successfully but enjoyed teaching as well as it puts the teacher (me) under scrutiny and forces me to be better.

Same in trading.

Lodian
Lodian1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:25am   #3
Joined Oct 2006

Those who can do, those who can't teach. Therefore if you know a bit about trading but are not profitable then it's easier to make money selling courses to gullible people. That's why no trainer will ever show you an account statement.
pboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Trader1UK , trade321
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:44am   #4
Joined Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboyles View Post
That's why no trainer will ever show you an account statement.
You are referring to those who ask for money to train you or everyone? That's quite a broad statement.
Lodian1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:46am   #5
Joined Jan 2011

Quote:
Those who can do, those who can't teach. Therefore if you know a bit about trading but are not profitable then it's easier to make money selling courses to gullible people. That's why no trainer will ever show you an account statement.
I dont think you can paint all trainers with the same brush.
DashRiprock is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:50am   #6
Joined Oct 2006

Yes I was referring to the guys that market these expensive seminars and courses for several grand.
pboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:31pm   #7

Joined Jan 2007

Quote:
simple as that. also they've seen others making eeezzzzeeeee money from it, so why not!
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: trade321