Why do they do it?

This is a discussion on Why do they do it? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by barjon I wonder myself sometimes Just want to keep things clean(ish) so members can talk about trading ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:17am   #337

Joined Jan 2006
Re: Why do they do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
I wonder myself sometimes Just want to keep things clean(ish) so members can talk about trading and it's pretty disheartening that so many "real" traders seem more interested in lulz talk than trading talk apart from the odd spurt from them here and there.

jon
Poetic justice.

LULZ!

CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: arabianights
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:16pm   #338
Joined Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBison View Post
The variance in poker at the highest levels is much, much higher than in trading. At the low end where the games are easier and can be beaten with a more mechanical style the variance is lower. My largest drawdown when I played professionally was about 30%.

Playing online you can do alot of volume, however, which can smooth the equity curve somewhat. Nevertheless, my equity curve over 3 years and about 5 million hands included a patch lasting over 3 months where I essentially broke even.

This was even though I was crushing the games in terms of expectancies and playing 4-8 tables at once, for 80+ hours per week. With equity swings of £10k+ a day as you can imagine it was pretty tough to stick with the 'system'

No professional poker player should drop 60% of their bankroll if they are using correct 'position sizing'. The only reason I take greater risk in trading is because the variance is lower and the edge is higher, so its worth the stretch imo..
Perhaps if you play NL though the swings are supposed to be higher.
Common knowledge is for about 20 buy ins.
For SNGs you need about 50 and for limit you need about 200-300 big blinds. It's not uncommon for people to drop most of that bankroll at some stage even when playing well.
SanMiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:49pm   #339
Joined Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
but here theres people that only can speak about trading from what they learned from a book!
I've never read a trading book before. Has anyone read a book about swing trading? I don't know what to expect from a book about trading.
brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:50pm   #340
Joined Jan 2009

Is T2W a highly lucrative website for its owners?
Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:10pm   #341

Joined Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
For SNGs you need about 50 and for limit you need about 200-300 big blinds. It's not uncommon for people to drop most of that bankroll at some stage even when playing well.
What are you talking about? The fact you called it "big blinds" leads me to think you don't know.
Masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:14pm   #342

Joined Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
20 buy in rule is just a rule of thumb. Like trading you should cut back your size (ie. play lower stakes games) if you have an extended losing streak and want to preserve your capital at all costs.

Many poker players, even some of the greats, do not care about capital preservation at all- so that may be the reason you get alot of 'blow ups'. Almost every online pro at the top end started with a tiny deposit and then ran it up and most of them are very young too, obviously a bad combination for risk aversion

One of my closest online poker friends who built his bankroll alongside me those years, lost his entire $150k account in one day playing 50/100 NL heads-up against another HU vet. That's 15 buy ins, but he didn't stop until he was broke. When he was -50k or even -100k he could have left the game and dropped stakes and rebuilt his cashier. But because poker is more personal than trading its sometimes harder to avoid ego problems like this.

He then quit poker and got a normal job- he had spent everything he'd cashed out over the years so he didn't have any more capital. Don't feel too sorry for him though he lived the high life for a few years..
BlackBison is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:15pm   #343
Joined Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquerade View Post
What are you talking about? The fact you called it "big blinds" leads me to think you don't know.
big bets then, aren't I allowed a typo?
I'm talking about the recommended bankroll for certain types of holdem and how much of a downswing you could have.
Bison says no one should go more than a 30% downswing but there's plenty of evidence of good players with bigger downswings than that.
...very confrontational this morning?
SanMiguel is offline   Reply With Quote