Full time trading versus part time...

This is a discussion on Full time trading versus part time... within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; I agree a firm mental commitment, concentration and focus is needed as a prerequisite for success in just about any ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:11am   #15
BSD

Joined Feb 2006
Re: Full time trading versus part time...

I agree a firm mental commitment, concentration and focus is needed as a prerequisite for success in just about any venture, the odds will be better if you focus on one objective at a time I'd say.

That said you can commit to success in trading without being glued behind a screen the whole day, which will in fact increase the odds in your favour even more.

Billionaire trader through 15 minutes work / day !
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:16am   #16

Joined Jan 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hare View Post
I'm just speaking from personal experience. I dont know a single profitable part time trader. Think about it, if you where profitable part time, why on earth would you choose to work for an employer ?

Dont say lack of funds, there's no shortage of money available for anyone with a track record.
This isn't a valid argument at all. The question is, can someone studying the market in their spare time (or any opportunity they get) learn enough to become profitable in the markets. I say yes, they can. But it all depends on how they go about their 'studies' and whether they get enough opportunity to practice what they have studied. But, I would say it's mostly about ability than simply time even though I'm not putting a time limit on it. It may take someone 10 years but they still may 'get there' so to speak. Also, you may unexpectedly be made redundant, so if you have been studying the market you at least have a head start.

CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:18am   #17
Joined Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hare View Post
I'm just speaking from personal experience. I dont know a single profitable part time trader. Think about it, if you where profitable part time, why on earth would you choose to work for an employer ?

Dont say lack of funds, there's no shortage of money available for anyone with a track record.
That's the thing, a track record... I won't leave work until I have one for my own benefit and by the time I have one for someone else to give me money to trade I'll have enough of my own lol so this argument is a bit silly.

BS - I'm not taking it personally, I just don't agree. Simply, most traders fail full stop - My point is that if you're good enough to trade for a living anyway then starting out part time shouldn't be an issue.
LiamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: leonarda
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:27am   #18
Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
My point is that if you're good enough to trade for a living anyway then starting out part time shouldn't be an issue.
Not making sense imho, but good luck anyhow..
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:28am   #19
Joined Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
This isn't a valid argument at all. The question is, can someone studying the market in their spare time (or any opportunity they get) learn enough to become profitable in the markets. I say yes, they can. But it all depends on how they go about their 'studies' and whether they get enough opportunity to practice what they have studied. But, I would say it's mostly about ability than simply time even though I'm not putting a time limit on it. It may take someone 10 years but they still may 'get there' so to speak. Also, you may unexpectedly be made redundant, so if you have been studying the market you at least have a head start.
I agree with you, i'm finding it fairly easy to be profitable will only little effort, however I have developed an ability over the last 2 years in trading stocks medium term (1-3months), in ways similar to the www.nakedtrader.co.uk and using methods akin to Stan Weinstein. I would say however I have a good grasp of the methods and understanding of the stocks/sectors I trade.
leonarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:35am   #20
Joined Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
Not making sense imho, but good luck anyhow..
Generally I have a lot of respect for you but I don't get this... How does it not make sense? I assume my position is pretty much the same as anyone else with my goals. I've not long been trading profitably so still nowhere yet... The missus has agreed that once I've proven that I can trade profitably over a decent sample we can start throwing cash at the account with an agreed drawdown level (probably 30%) where I have to take out what we've put in. I prove I'm profitable over the next year, we throw cash at the account for another year or two and provided all has gone well I then leave work - Please tell me what's wrong with that?

If we just threw everything at the account now and I lose it that would be pretty silly wouldn't it!
LiamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:49am   #21
Joined May 2008

Part time? Anyone trading part time you have to admit you are making a statement regarding your trading and that is almost non-arguable?

With the amount of leverage and all other perspectives any successsful consistant trader will get everything they want from trading so why put another 40-50hrs a week into another profession if indeed they can trade? I can understand a successful trader going part time as they want to enjoy life but to go part time for another profession, you have to be honest with yourself and the statement you are making in doing that? Sorry part timers but do not understand it?

It is not for everyone, it is as I have stated before the game of the gods end of, everryone needs to be honest with themselves ultimately?
kwickwool is offline   Reply With Quote