Portfolio Margin in case of Option a/c

This is a discussion on Portfolio Margin in case of Option a/c within the Futures & Options forums, part of the Markets category; In following type of trading does it matter if the a/c is Cash a/c / Reg T margin a/c or ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:39am   #1
Joined Aug 2012
Portfolio Margin in case of Option a/c

In following type of trading does it matter if the a/c is Cash a/c / Reg T margin a/c or Portfolio Margin A/c ( all US market)

1) Scenario 1: Say one has 10K in a/c and is long an Option worth 10K ( call / put does not matter)
Given that to be long an option is a limited risk strategy one has to have 100% of that money upfront.
If that is true then having a portfolio margin a/c has no real advantage is it?
Please correct me if I am wrong
1) Scenario 1: Say one has 10K in a/c and is long an Option Spread worth 10K ( call / put does not matter)
Given that to be long an option spread is a limited risk strategy one has to have 100% of that money upfront.
If that is true then having a portfolio margin a/c has no real advantage is it?
Please correct me if I am wrong
moka2 is offline   Reply With Quote