ART - not just pretty pics

This is a discussion on ART - not just pretty pics within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Originally Posted by Pat494 A true sibling of art is poetry. To see the world in a grain of sand, ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:28am   #91
 
Atilla's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
A true sibling of art is poetry.

To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower,
hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.

No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.

You never know what is enough
unless you know what is more than enough.

Very powerful words to digest there. Pondered over them for a full minute or two.

Isn't art what gives one joy. The more people who absorb that joy and revisit the moment's reflection, makes that piece of art ever more popular.

A word commonly used these days is connection. Through art dispersed people can then connect on a thought and yet be unaware of that very connection. In almost touches on the concept of universal humanity.

Even where two people like very much a work of art and another two people dislike intensely there becomes a focal point of connection and flow of communication on that piece of art.

Art enriches our World and I'm sure these sparks probably flew from the first cave drawings and their subsequent discovery by other beasts.


Banksy's art is not too far from caveman's when one thinks about it.


As you rightly say whether it is a poem or a novel or a painting or any form of creation can become art at one respect or another. Why restrict beauty to any shape or form.

Atilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Pat494
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:33am   #92
 
sminicooper's Avatar
Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
You're right Pat, unfortunately. Most amateur painters do an appalling disservice to art - in the way that most amateur gardeners do the exact opposite to horticulture. If people take personal pleasure from doing it, that's okay I suppose, but 99% of it should never go on public display and will end up in land fill - which is where it belongs.

Now, you might be thinking that I'm sounding like a bit of an art snob. And if you are, pat yourself on the back Pat (aka Pat patting), 'cos you're absolutely right!
Apologies if I'm about to offend learned friends on T2W but my sympathies do lie with timsk on this subject. The retired baby boomers in the market town where I live have plenty of time on their hands to indulge in their hobbies and many of them turn to painting – if only they would confine it to Dulux etc. I always visit their local exhibitions and as amateurs they are in fact pretty good, but it's always the same sort of numbness and boring style – only occasionally do you see a picture that stands out with originality and lurking talent.

I disagree with timsk about a lot of it only being fit for landfill – there are some really good quality frames and on occasion I've thought that it's worth buying the picture to get the frame. Am I another art snob? – I try not to be mainly because I don't know enough about art to qualify and I have absolutely no drawing or painting ability whatsoever. All I have is an eye for design and art appreciation

But it is good to see people expressing themselves through art – I have friends who are professional and amateur artists and they are all interesting people whose lives have been greatly enriched with their art. My suggestion is that they should apply the same philosophy to their creations as I do to my singing voice (I have one of the finest shower voices in the local area) - I restrict my singing to the interior of my shower cubicle and as yet I've had no complaints from the tiles or plughole: could the artist's easel do the same?
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Pat494
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:44am   #93
 
Pat494's Avatar
Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
Apologies if I'm about to offend learned friends on T2W but my sympathies do lie with timsk on this subject. The retired baby boomers in the market town where I live have plenty of time on their hands to indulge in their hobbies and many of them turn to painting – if only they would confine it to Dulux etc. I always visit their local exhibitions and as amateurs they are in fact pretty good, but it's always the same sort of numbness and boring style – only occasionally do you see a picture that stands out with originality and lurking talent.

I disagree with timsk about a lot of it only being fit for landfill – there are some really good quality frames and on occasion I've thought that it's worth buying the picture to get the frame. Am I another art snob? – I try not to be mainly because I don't know enough about art to qualify and I have absolutely no drawing or painting ability whatsoever. All I have is an eye for design and art appreciation

But it is good to see people expressing themselves through art – I have friends who are professional and amateur artists and they are all interesting people whose lives have been greatly enriched with their art. My suggestion is that they should apply the same philosophy to their creations as I do to my singing voice (I have one of the finest shower voices in the local area) - I restrict my singing to the interior of my shower cubicle and as yet I've had no complaints from the tiles or plughole: could the artist's easel do the same?
To know what art YOU really like is probably enough.
I also am hopeless at drawing. Earlier I asked if anyone knew of an aid to half decent drawing and yes someone did.
I am wondering if I can really justify the expense. I also have views but I can't put the image down on paper well enough to be satisfactory.
__________________
Everyone is an actor.

Let your hero loose.
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:02pm   #94
 
Atilla's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
... My suggestion is that they should apply the same philosophy to their creations as I do to my singing voice (I have one of the finest shower voices in the local area) - I restrict my singing to the interior of my shower cubicle and as yet I've had no complaints from the tiles or plughole: could the artist's easel do the same?

As long as the water doesn't stop coming out when you start singing you're probably ok.
Atilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:04pm   #95
 
Atilla's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
To know what art YOU really like is probably enough.
I also am hopeless at drawing. Earlier I asked if anyone knew of an aid to half decent drawing and yes someone did.
I am wondering if I can really justify the expense. I also have views but I can't put the image down on paper well enough to be satisfactory.
Go to the library and get a book on sketching.

Start by studying one object. Animals usually good to work on.

Sketch the pet at rest. Scrible what you see and hey presto. Doesn't have to look like your dog just resemble. That'll do.

Then take a photo and hoist it up here...
Atilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:22pm   #96
 
Pat494's Avatar
Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Go to the library and get a book on sketching.

Start by studying one object. Animals usually good to work on.

Sketch the pet at rest. Scrible what you see and hey presto. Doesn't have to look like your dog just resemble. That'll do.

Then take a photo and hoist it up here...
Will think on it. So don't hold yer breath as they say.

__________________
Everyone is an actor.

Let your hero loose.
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:31pm   #97
 
Atilla's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Will think on it. So don't hold yer breath as they say.

Gotta do it.


There are some tips and tricks. Like perspective and your point of eye focus, ratio of the human form converges on fib sequence. Head is usually 1/8th body etc. Eyes in middle of head.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hu...J4HyS1hdl0M%3A


Nike it! Put your trainers on now...


Click the image to open in full size.
Atilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:05pm   #98
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.
 
timsk's Avatar
Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
. . . and many of them turn to painting – if only they would confine it to Dulux etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
. I disagree with timsk about a lot of it only being fit for landfill – there are some really good quality frames and on occasion I've thought that it's worth buying the picture to get the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
. . . . All I have is an eye for design and art appreciation.
Yes sminicooper, that's clear from the images you've posted of the prints you collect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
. . . .My suggestion is that they should apply the same philosophy to their creations as I do to my singing voice (I have one of the finest shower voices in the local area) - I restrict my singing to the interior of my shower cubicle and as yet I've had no complaints from the tiles or plughole: could the artist's easel do the same?
Ain't that the truth.
Where I live, a few months back, the local Arts & Crafts Association held their bi-annual exhibition in the village community centre. What struck me about it was that the standard of painting was predictably abysmal, whereas, the standard of craftwork was the exact opposite. I recall some lovely quilts and pottery in particular. And herein lies the rub. To execute most crafts well, a basic level of proficiency needs to be attained. You can't just chuck a lump of clay on a potters wheel and hope for the best. But that's pretty much what many amateur artists do when applying oil or acrylic on canvas or watercolour to a - soon to be disappointed - sheet of Fabriano Artistico. This even applies to the ones trying to paint figuratively - usually landscapes. It's the painting equivalent of trading on a hunch: 'it looked like it was going to go up so I went long'. And we all know how that turns out. If amateur painters went about their business with a modicum of discipline, as exhibited by the potters and quilt makers then, pretty much overnight, the standard of work would rise exponentially.

Needless to say all really good artists do exactly this. Of the big name contemporary British artists, the best exponent of this that I'm aware of is Grayson Perry. He's a shining example of what can be achieved when great intelligence, great artistic talent and great craftsmanship are all combined. For anyone who missed it, this series provides a fantastic insight into how he works to produce some truly fantantic work. And yes, he's a former Turner Prize winner!
Tim.

__________________
I'm New To T2W - Where Do I Start? - a must read for anyone new to T2W
I'm New To TRADING – Where Do I Start? - a must read for anyone new to TRADING
The Trading Plan Template - a must read for anyone without a proper TRADING PLAN
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:16pm   #99
Joined Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I was pondering about Banksy and his art.

Is it actually his art that is the beauty we like to look at? To me it looks a bit like a GCSE card board cut out with some spray can paint work.

Is it the message he tries to convey and communicate. A topical statement. As they say in creative writing classes, don't tell it, show it.

Is it the location, his canvas that's the rare unusual attraction. Some might think sketches in public toilets are a work of art with the picturesque inginuity of the message they explicitly communicate.

Is it the illegality of doing what is not the done thing.

Is it the thrill of being in the shadows. The mystery of it all. Who is the body behind the work?

Is it graphitie for the intellectuals?


I wonder what our historic artists would think of Banksy's work?
I don't know. The first time I saw his work was when I lived in Camden - I didn't know who the artist was and if it was art, but I somehow liked it . They painted it over afterwards, so maybe they think it's nothing special, no art?
Attached Thumbnails
camden.jpg  
metrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:12pm   #100
 
Atilla's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrader View Post
I don't know. The first time I saw his work was when I lived in Camden - I didn't know who the artist was and if it was art, but I somehow liked it . They painted it over afterwards, so maybe they think it's nothing special, no art?
Either it was not an original or they are regretting it.

Who ever decided to paint over was obviously not in the intellectual category to appreciate graffitie art...

Some peoples senses are dead as door nails to think they know what art is and what it is not.
Atilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:29pm   #101
 
Pat494's Avatar
Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread Commercial art is often sneered at by the purists but some have merit.
Attached Thumbnails
girl-bike.png  
__________________
Everyone is an actor.

Let your hero loose.
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:42pm   #102
 
Atilla's Avatar
Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Commercial art is often sneered at by the purists but some have merit.

Beautifully ingenious

I would like to ride that bike all over the World
Atilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2016, 12:31pm   #103
 
Pat494's Avatar
Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread Give me the Monet
Attached Thumbnails
red-boats.png  
__________________
Everyone is an actor.

Let your hero loose.
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:49pm   #104
Joined Apr 2012
The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai
Attached Thumbnails
wave.jpg  
metrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:51pm   #105
 
sminicooper's Avatar
Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Commercial art is often sneered at by the purists but some have merit.
Might be sneered at by purists (and that poster is a very nice one!) but commercial art can fetch a bob or two. A European winter holidays collection coming to auction shortly is estimating about £550,000 – see examples below.

1930s London Transport posters for the right subject and artist can now fetch thousands. It came to light that one such artist at the time had loads of "spare" prints of his posters, which he kept in his loft and brought down as required to use as art paper for his kids painting sessions. I bet he wouldn't have done that if he'd had a decent crystal ball.

st-moritz.jpg villars.jpg
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help choosing monitor (Pics Included) nyckylim Techies Corner 10 Jan 31, 2012 8:10pm
right 'nuff; who is the fittest woman on earth?(pics please) Chartsy The Foyer 8 Oct 5, 2010 12:36am
Post pics of your set ups? TAjammy Techies Corner 18 Oct 6, 2009 11:39am
hilarious pics>>!! kitster The Foyer 0 Aug 17, 2006 1:21pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)