Brexit and the Consequences

This is a discussion on Brexit and the Consequences within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Originally Posted by FXX Overdose: The Next Financial Crisis this is why global inflation is not where its should be....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:16am   #4233
FXX
Joined Oct 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXX View Post
this is why global inflation is not where its should be.
FXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:05am   #4234
Joined May 2016
Not much ranting about the Paradise Papers on here? Has it become so normalised and expected that no-one is surprised or bothered? Are we all so jaded that we believe that nothing will change?

Corruption at its finest by the so-called 'elite' and yet the outcry is mute, it's so widespread, so immoral, if not illegal in a lot of cases, and yet they see fit to tell us how to run our lives and pay our taxes.

Is this just another disgrace amongst many in the latest incarnation of the modern world. It just adds more good reason to detach ourselves from a corrupt EU despite the fact that we will still be left with a corrupt British establishment we have no hope of ever sorting out.
Signalcalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:47am   #4235
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalcalc View Post
Not much ranting about the Paradise Papers on here? Has it become so normalised and expected that no-one is surprised or bothered? Are we all so jaded that we believe that nothing will change?

Corruption at its finest by the so-called 'elite' and yet the outcry is mute, it's so widespread, so immoral, if not illegal in a lot of cases, and yet they see fit to tell us how to run our lives and pay our taxes.

Is this just another disgrace amongst many in the latest incarnation of the modern world. It just adds more good reason to detach ourselves from a corrupt EU despite the fact that we will still be left with a corrupt British establishment we have no hope of ever sorting out.

So far I only hear about these papers exposing tax avoidance. Tax avoidance is any legal way to avoid paying tax you do not owe. Tax evasion would be an illegal way of paying tax you do owe.

For example, if you have an ISA, that is tax avoidance. Apart from the sums being much larger and the methodology being more complicated, the people in these papers have been doing just the same thing. So maybe this is just a news story because some of them are celebrities?
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:02pm   #4236

Joined Nov 2006
Atilla started this thread Could vote Labour and let them sort out the filthy dirty non tax paying, tax evading (legally avoiding) sh1t out.

Tories running the country dry. So called party of business hacked & decimated manufacturing and now destorying service industries key being Financial Services. Heading into years of uncertainty and high risk chaos. Pharmaceuticals as well as R&D industries will take a knock as investment levels fall. Motor industry now has a big question mark over it too.

What's the Tories big game changer? Build HS2 and see the value of the pound fall to make British value in exports cheaper. Fact that we need to import most inputs before we can export is conveniently ignored. Just wondering how long it will take before we start producing our own nuts and bolts again. That's a key fundamental question? Assuming we can produce it cheaper than the rest of the world.

Of course one could get rich and get even by doing the same. Saw Lineker on the front pages today. His scored alright!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:31pm   #4237
Joined May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
So far I only hear about these papers exposing tax avoidance. Tax avoidance is any legal way to avoid paying tax you do not owe. Tax evasion would be an illegal way of paying tax you do owe.

For example, if you have an ISA, that is tax avoidance. Apart from the sums being much larger and the methodology being more complicated, the people in these papers have been doing just the same thing. So maybe this is just a news story because some of them are celebrities?
I totally support tax avoidance, but it's starting to feel that not all tax avoidance has been created equal. I suspect that we will be reading about a few tax evaders also, time will tell. Let's just hope that the journalists investigating don't get murdered along the way (Daphne Caruana Galizia).

What I do object to is favour, provided by the likes of HMRC for example, to these tax avoiders to help them to work around the rules or to come to dispensation agreements for years of underpaid tax, the sort of leeway that is not provided to ordinary working people. Regulations have been progressively introduced to try and stop people from using offshore havens, but they still find ways around the rules, that is morally unfair and is not just using the tools available to us all that enables us to pay less tax.

There's tax avoidance for them and then there's tax avoidance for the rest of us.
Signalcalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:38pm   #4238
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
We hosted a tapas evening for a few friends last night so I'm feeling a tad Cava'd this morning. On top of that, it's chilly, damp and grey here in south Devon so I'm in need of a little pick me up. Something to lift the spirits and brighten the day. By chance, bang on cue, an e-mail plonked in my inbox from one of my remainer friends. Just what I needed - I read it and can't stop laughing. And the great thing about it is that it'll make Atilla, jon, dbp et al happy too! Everyone's a winner, enjoy: Brexit is reversible even after date is set, says author of article 50
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:53pm   #4239

Joined May 2003
Quote:
I totally support tax avoidance, but it's starting to feel that not all tax avoidance has been created equal. I suspect that we will be reading about a few tax evaders also, time will tell. Let's just hope that the journalists investigating don't get murdered along the way (Daphne Caruana Galizia).

What I do object to is favour, provided by the likes of HMRC for example, to these tax avoiders to help them to work around the rules or to come to dispensation agreements for years of underpaid tax, the sort of leeway that is not provided to ordinary working people. Regulations have been progressively introduced to try and stop people from using offshore havens, but they still find ways around the rules, that is morally unfair and is not just using the tools available to us all that enables us to pay less tax.

There's tax avoidance for them and then there's tax avoidance for the rest of us.
Isn’t that a bit like the old joke “we all know what you are, madam, we’re just haggling about the price”.

No tax avoidance is morally justified unless sponsored by government (like ISAs). Doesn’t matter if you’re one of them or one of us.
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:05pm   #4240

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:

The only difference is that they can afford the best accountants and you can't.

Welcome to income inequality.